Vanity Fair December 2023/January 2024 : Greta Gerwig by Norman Jean Roy

Sandra Hüller’s name on the cover makes me happy, get her that Oscar!

Norman Jean Roy is in all of them... It seems like he's taking a lot of the jobs that would have been for Annie (like when I&V were being directed at everything that seemed to have been designed for Testino and Demarchelier).

Oh wow! I have admired Greta for ages and I am so happy for her. This cover is so beautiful.

The cover is as dull as she is.

As the director of an immensely successful Hollywood movie that was this year's phenomenon, I like that she's being shown as comfortable in her own skin. In her work, she's become the force behind the camera, less of a performer in front of it.

In magazines, do we expect directors to put on the same show as actors do, when they're in front of the camera? Usually they get shot with a degree of gravitas. I await the Hollywood portfolio that shows Scorsese tapdancing with his asscheeks out.

I like her and what she has produced. This cover is alright.

My digital copy of the UK version is showing 142 pages (for a double issue). The editor's letter makes reference to the industry strike, there's a gift guide section - and we're at page 56 before the articles start, which doesn't bode well for lots of written content.

• The issue starts with Rupert Murdoch ditching Tucker Carlson;
• Greta's cover story and interview;
• An interview with US senator Chris Murphy;
• A piece talking with some people from Real Housewives (the filming/scripting methods and how they made a deal with the devil - nearly every page seems to mention someone being incontinent);
• The 'Giorgio Armani' mentioned on the cover is just a two-page group shot of the designer sitting with actors and musicians wearing his clothes, organised at the Venice FIlm Festival;
• An interview with author Jesmyn Ward as her latest novel is published;
• A general piece about French Bulldogs which isn't as dramatic as its coverline suggests;
• An interview/shoot with German actress Sandra Hüller;
• A gallery of Royal photography shot by Cecil Beaton (new book out);
• A piece debating "Who killed Jerzy Kosinski?", a Polish-American novelist accused of plagiarism;
• Back page Proust Questionnaire is author Michael Cunningham.

Imagine the Real Housewives cover we might have got under Graydon Carter (and what we might have said about it).

It is a lovely side portrait. The color palette reflects the winter months.

The colours do indeed reflect the colder months perfectly. I do, however, loathe of the use of a side portrait as a cover image. The cover overall just feels rather lifeless, cold and uninviting.

The Great
Photo Norman Jean Roy
Stylist Natasha Royt
By Sloand Crosley
Subject Greta Gerwig
Hair Bob Recine
Makeup Romy Soleimani

vanity fair

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members