Vanity Fair July/August 2021 : Dua Lipa by Venetia Scott

I like the main editorial and ‘Ringing in the New’. good content!

Tavi Gevinson Is still getting shoved down our throats, I see. Her 73 Questions video on Vogue’s YouTube channel barely cleared 100k views. Talk about a flop era.

Dua looks amazing, love her always. Tavi took me back to the style rookie days lol.

More often than not, I loathe cover images where there's various different elements and textures in the background but somehow Vanity Fair managed to make this busy and full-length cover image work. I'm particularly a fan of the beauty styling on Dua Lipa here and the clean layout.

This issue was a decent enough read - it's a July/August issue, so they've put in twice the amount of written content, which makes the magazine feel more like it used to be.

However, I note that:

• There's an entire article about Dua Lipa's road to success which doesn't once mention that her good looks are an integral part of it, and even the reason why she's on the cover - let's not start pretending we're naive about the entertainment industry;

• One article seriously makes use of the words "she's the latest example of a late-stage capitalist archetype, a member of the cheugystocracy", as if to resonate with all the tiktok teens, rather than the adults who are actually reading the magazine;

• If the magazine can slip in a generalised slur about rich white women of America, it will. Is it worth it? There's the audience this magazine had, then there's the audience they think they're speaking to now, and they could attract and retain both types of readership, if they aren't shortsighted about it;

• When magazines write articles about Tavi Gevinson, it never sounds like they're talking about a real person, but a media creation come to life, like a character in a long-running TV series from the 2000s, where the lead actor was assigned the role at an early age, and every piece of PR still has to describe her as preternatural or a prodigy.​

I’ve had my copy for a couple of weeks and hadn’t even flipped through it yet, but just knowing they printed the word(??) “cheugystocracy” inside is really the nail in the coffin as far as my interest in this magazine goes.

Tavi Gevinson is like 75-yo or whatever. Honestly she really inspires me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heavenstobetsie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->