Vanity Fair March 2010 : A New Hollywood by Annie Leibovitz

The name of the cover is not "Top New Actresses" or "Actresses of the Year" or "Hollywood's Rising Stars". It's New Hollywood - aka the next generation. Actresses who have been on the rise for quite some time, and are now poised to officially take up the mantle. Sibide does not belong in this group.

I think the title "Next Hollywood" would be more appropriate for this issue, as the word "new" connotates a form of revolutionary change, which isn't what VF is showcasing here.

True, but it doesn't mean this is right. One should be judged by their talent, not their appearance.
This is Hollywood - the industry based on appearances first, talent second. I'm truly befuddled at how people are constantly outraged over what they perceive to be Hollywood's superficiality. This is the industry all about superficiality. You're barking at the wrong tree if you want to tell Hollywood to become more "accepting" and "real".

Last edited by a moderator:
i can't believe kristen stewart is on the main cover and emma stone is there at all!!
and why did they put evan rachel woods in a blonde wig?
oh well, i'm glad carey mulligan is there though, if anyone deserves it it's her. i dont think the cover is that bad, a bit bland but nice enough.

The name of the cover is not "Top New Actresses" or "Actresses of the Year" or "Hollywood's Rising Stars". It's New Hollywood - aka the next generation. Actresses who have been on the rise for quite some time, and are now poised to officially take up the mantle. Sibide does not belong in this group.

I think the title "Next Hollywood" would be more appropriate for this issue, as the word "new" connotates a form of revolutionary change, which isn't what VF is showcasing here.

This is Hollywood - the industry based on appearances first, talent second. I'm truly befuddled at how people are constantly outraged over what they perceive to be Hollywood's superficiality. This is the industry all about superficiality. You're barking at the wrong tree if you want to tell Hollywood to become more "accepting" and "real".

Again, I fail to see how stating the obvious about Hollywood's practices somehow precludes critique. :blink: Yes, Hollywood is vapid and has twisted standards. And yes, they can be called out for them. If an Oscar nod has nothing to do with "taking the mantle," then folks in Hollywood, and probably a lot of their readers, certainly need to wake up.

The most appropriate title would be "Young, White Hollywood" for this issue. :rolleyes:

Well said. That applies to the music industry too.

Again, I fail to see how stating the obvious about Hollywood's practices somehow precludes critique. :blink: Yes, Hollywood is vapid and has twisted standards. And yes, they can be called out for them. If an Oscar nod has nothing to do with "taking the mantle," then folks in Hollywood, and probably a lot of their readers, certainly need to wake up.
What is the point of "calling them out" for the twisted standards and being vapid? Hollywood has never pretended to be right and pure. It's never pretended to be anything other than shallow. It's not a government that owes something to its people and must reform. Twisted standards and vapidity are something inherent to the movie/modeling/music/media industry. To change or erase those things would be to strip Hollywood of the very elements that make up its foundation.

What is the point of "calling them out" for the twisted standards and being vapid? Hollywood has never pretended to be right and pure. It's never pretended to be anything other than shallow. It's not a government that owes something to its people and must reform. Twisted standards and vapidity are something inherent to the movie/modeling/music/media industry. To change or erase those things would be to strip Hollywood of the very elements that make up its foundation.

I find that ridiculous. :lol: People challege standards all the time. The same standards have existed in the fashion industry for years, and many people have responded with critique. This has been going on for decades, and it's the only way any changes are made. It's the same for Hollywood. Vanity Fair, for all it's vapidity, has had enough sense to at least use "token" women of color on its previous Hollywood issues. Here, they're making a different statement.

Huh? If they weren't twisted and vapid they couldn't make movies anymore and have awards and stuff? Back in the 50s I'm sure people thought that it was Hollywood's god-given, vapid, twisted right to for studios to own their actors part and parcel and should this end by golly, Hollywood is over as we know it, tops turvy, with all these egomaniacs trying to run their own lives. But it seems to have survived SAG, Writer's Guild etc.

Anyway, Hollywood pretends to be "right and pure" all the time. Check any awards show when they pat themselves on the back for not running away from gays, driving a Prius, wearing election pins and giving the occasional black an Oscar. (It's ok, I'm an occasional black, albeit Oscar-less.) It tries to have it both ways, like most groups with a public image.

*ahem*

But to be more on TOPIC. Err...yeah, I don't know most of the kids on the cover, sorry. Shot with the dresses looks way better than the bland splendour in the grass.

What is James Cameron doing with that camera? These sort of Leibovitz editorials always swing wildly from pretentious hilarity to actual charismatic moments, like the ones with Ford and Peter Jackson. Could someone abduct Leibovitz for a year so I can see what VF would look like?

What is James Cameron doing with that camera? These sort of Leibovitz editorials always swing wildly from pretentious hilarity to actual charismatic moments,

His pic is a joke. I seriously thought that if they did the director/Actor thing again then at least we would see Sigourney Weaver, Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana with him. This would have made sense her not being on the cover again. James Cameron is pretentious so he was probably happy just to be by himself.

WOW this issue has generated some major controversy...didnt expect this much!

WOW this issue has generated some major controversy...didnt expect this much!
I totally agree with you. Never thought that this issue would sparkle so much controversy and yet...

The pic with the guys from the Hangover is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time :lol:. About the cover they could have least put Keke Palmer or Freida Pinto... I mean as much as I really like Anna Kendrick and Emma Stone and Amanda Seyfried their could have been a woman of color on that cover.

What I find limiting about these kind of covers is the nigh annual labeling of a group of people as "the next generation of talent" or "the new Hollywood" or some such. It's like a tradition Vanity Fair can't or won't break, because it's such an easy and cheap way to comprise and sell an issue, especially to those who only casually buy one. It lacks authenticity. And, as this cover so well showcases, where will you find nine or ten "new" faces every year that a majority of people won't find questionable in talent or other merit on the basis of which they are featured?

To address this cover specifically, it really is rather misleading. Is this a cover for the "fresh faces of 2010" or a cover for the decade's "new Hollywood"? This particular, ambiguous group of actresses doesn't fit either description as a whole, and the overall choice of stars therefore really doesn't feel well-considered. Not to mention that many of the actresses featured here have very differently distinctive things going for them, which makes them an all the more random bunch.

On another note, I am so up to here with Annie Leibovitz's supposed brilliance. The casual styling and outdoor settings, particularly when combined with these in many ways unknown faces, in no way speaks "Hollywood" to me and I really don't see how this is any different from or more compelling than Leibovitz's past boring work. "Legendary" is an adjective I keep hearing associated with her, but to me a long body of work alone does not "legendary" make. I am simply not impressed with or in any way affected by this type of bland, idolizing celebrity portraiture, completely void of personality or reality, which Leibovitz has made a career of. But on second thought, I think I may have just described exactly what Hollywood is and has always been about, and I've simply become disillusioned with it and, therein, Leibovitz.

At any rate, the cover photo isn't particularly great for almost any of them. So much Photoshopping, and yet Emma Stone still has bags under her eyes. Kristen Stewart looks her usual dull-eyed, greasy-haired self, and why Amanda Seyfried's amazing hair has been hidden behind her back in this way is simply perplexing. Although Carey Mulligan doesn't photograph well overall, this is really a particularly bad photo of her, and if it wasn't true I could scarcely believe they really saw her half-sarcastic, half-sour expression here and thought, "Oh, good enough." Anna Kendrick looks like she's straight off the Bel Air tennis court for trophy wives, while Evan Rachel Wood, although pretty, is a deer in the headlights. Only Abbie Cornish and Rebecca Hall look genuinely good here, but somehow maturer than the rest, which just makes me all the more confused as to what Vanity Fair is alluding to here with "fresh".

Really, Annie, I realize a group of people is difficult to direct, but with your reputation I expect more than 2/9.

I like some of the Hollywood portfolio, though. While a lot of it doesn't strike me as anything above basic portraiture, the charisma of some people shines through regardless. Saoirse Ronan looks incredibly flawless and soulful in her picture, while Christoph Waltz's presence is just exceptionally intense and charismatic. I also like the warmth in Scott Cooper and Jeff Bridges' photo, which I guess I must credit Leibovitz for catching on film.

But then there's James Cameron as "The Visionary", and we're back on track with the helplessly boring and shamelessly pretentious. Never mind that the picture is a rather revoltingly kiss-@ss portrayal of him, it's the labeling that really kills me. If there was one director I could've titled as "The Visionary", James Cameron would not have been my choice -- ever. Blue people and digital trickery don't to me speak of exceptional vision above that of all his contemporaries, and it is actually a little sickening that he is raised on a pedestal in this way without any actual forethought. :yuk:

Although Vanity Fair rarely impresses me, this issue is to me exceptionally disappointing. Oh well. I guess I just don't belong among their target readers.

^ you pretty much killed all debate. please folks no more fightin'! it's only a picture.:angel:

VF Hollywood Edition Scans - posted by hedur in Kristen's thread :flower:

livejournal.com/kstewartfans

That pic is bad so bad. Look at Carey's and Evan's stupid facial expressions and Kristen isn't even looking at the camera. It's also weird that some of them are smiling/laughing while others are being serious. It doesn't mesh well.

Not impressed Leibovitz. Not impressed.

I think this is my fave young hollywood cover...very dramatic and cool...

VF_1998.jpg

filmexperience

^Wow! no wonder why Older generations are always bashing at us :lol:
I'm mean look at the difference.

Totally unrelated to the cover, but Mélanie Laurent has a page somewhere in the issue -- if someone could provide a scan, I'd be so grateful :flower:

The worst cover since the 2000 hollywood issue; actually it looks similar.
I dont know most of the girls and maybe in ten years they'r gonna still being mrs. nobody.
Where'r Dakota Fanning and Gabourey Sidibe???

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->