Vanity Fair October 2021 : Regina King by Jackie Nickerson

As for the serious articles - in all the PR about their global restructuring, do we ever hear Conde Nast boasting about its commitment to quality journalism? They have decided the universe revolves around what people look at online, which means everything gets tailored to short attention spans. Any semblance of depth - in either the photography or the writing - has been deemed unnecessary.

I agree with your point in general, but Jesmyn Ward, who wrote the cover story, is one of the top writers in America and the first woman to win two National Book Awards for fiction.

Reading through this at lunchtime, the cover story follows the usual formula, and the two features about Alessandro Michele/Gucci and the Hermes workshop are basically advertorials in disguise, they read like PR lifted from in-house magazines.

There's a short political piece about prospective GOP candidates for the 2024 presidential primary, and the shadow of Trump - who will step up to inherit the MAGA mantle? - and Diet Prada being sued by Dolce & Gabbana and their role in online callout/cancel culture.

But the heart of the issue is a 12-page article by Nancy Jo Sales ('who has written for Vanity Fair for 21 years') about "a strange allegation of sexual misconduct at her alma mater, Exeter, after she learns the school believes she is a victim". It's a long read but a skilful retelling of the experience, taking you through a few twists and turns before you reach the end of the piece.

The article is available on the magazine's site, but I do find it's best read in print form, because it feels like you're reading a condensed book, and you have to settle into reading it, which is hard to do in front of a screen: An Exeter Teacher Was Punished for Sexual Misconduct. The Student Says It Never Happened. | Vanity Fair

^ I have ZERO respect for Nancy Jo after she was EXPOSED for lying about Alexis Neiers wearing 6-inch Louboutins with her tweed skirt to court, when in reality she wore $29 4-inch little brown Bebe shoes! She has lost all credibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonHansen100
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->