Vogue France December 2023/January 2024 : Ida Heiner by Theo de Gueltzl

Superhero costume or not. This is fashion, and its quite good. If you dont mind Couture covers, then you shouldnt mind this.

one of Vogue France’s better covers…which isn’t saying much. I hope the ed inside is good for once, too. Just wish it was a little more festive!

I thoroughly dislike it. weird lighting, cute girl doing nothing (no this is not a superhero pose, it's just hands on a the waist with some horrible assymetrical cape), messy outfit.

Love the fashion editorial! Something beautiful to own and cherish.

At first I wasn’t a big fan of the cover but I love the Ed and the cover is growing on me. I think shooting it at Beaubourg, at the Centre Pompidou, the choice of designers, the styling, the whole vibe feels very considerate. Pompidou is the ultimate symbol of retrofuturism and to have Paco Rabanne, Louis Vuitton, Courreges or Alaia makes sense.
I wish they used the sequined outfits towards the end of the Vuitton Resort show rather than the swimsuit…

The editorial turned out to be quite nice after all. It reminds me of the type of urban sort of futuristic stories you could find in American Vogue in the late 90s. There are some really good images in there that would make up for the lacking cover, if the rest of the issue wasn't an incohesive disaster.

Video of the cover look…

My digital copy is showing 236 pages.

The edits at the front are ones that we've already seen elsewhere, followed by a reprint of that jewellery shoot where the pieces are placed on squashed clay/melted wax figures. There's an interview/shoot "Solange Smith, Life of an Artist" shot by Maciek Pozoga, which I haven't seen before, but I also haven't read through the current issue of UK Vogue.

The fashion section opens with the cover story, followed by an interview with Nicolas Ghesquiere and Philippe Parreno, and then Nicolas reflects on moments in his career where fashion and art have come together.

The Hopper shoot from US Vogue is next, followed by a reprint of the 'interpretive drawings' feature, followed by the reprint of the Gigi edit (doing a 90s British grunge redux with a California girl).

Then it's a reprint of Alessandro Michele's Roman home, then some Shalom Harlow by Ned Rogers from Vogue China Nov 23, and that's it.

Still wouldn't buy it, but it's not the worst bundle of reprints that I've ever seen.

Generally speaking, I'm unmoved by Vogue's constant need to tell us - at the moment, relentlessly - about fashion's relationship to art. Many designer brands are stuck in fast-fashion cycles, churning out overpriced pieces for quick consumption, and trying to elevate them by plastering the word ART over everything...

Most of it falls flat in the shadow of the masterpiece of the current art-themed content - the Hopper shoot by Leibovitz.

I know people love to say things like this, but... come on... lol they editorial is just as bad as the cover. :lol:
It's horrible! the second pic with the silver dress deceives you into thinking there's some potential here because that's the twilight for you, and the third one could've produced a better cover with a slightly better angle and only because you don't see legs and the arms are under control but.. this looks like a combination of a mediocre photographer who is only as good as his model and budget is, and a pretty subpar model. Nearly every shot just lacks confidence (I mean.. ??, and this), especially if you're going to make an intentional or unintentional reference to Eyes Wide Shut, that's a lot for someone with a meek presence.

Once again, another cover of Vogue France which oh so perfectly shows off the stark contrast between the magazine now and what once was. The December/January issues of French Vogue always felt rich, vibrant, and luxurious and whilst this isn't the worst cover I've come across, it's still just so... subpar and substandard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peedgren
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->