Vogue France September 2024 : Vivienne Rohner by Steven Meisel

Hmmm, they used one of the least interesting shots for the cover. Would’ve preferred one of the more darker and dramatic shots. But I guess then it would’ve maybe looked too much like Vogue Italia?

It feels like a non event anyway after Vogue Epsana already released this story first today.

Beautiful photograph but I am not convinced the Vogue France logo and typeface colors are right for the image.

The first Vogue F cover that hits the right note.
This is classic Fashion. I'd rather this full on commercial approach for Vogue F than gymnasts. Bigger blowout for miss Rohner please.
Thank you Eugenie for bringing back A-list talents. The video with Carine and now this. A joy to see MAS creates with the master again. Of course it's Chloe for the cover.
Please also put some shine back on Une Fille Un Style, I skipped classes for that column.

how many vogue paris covers did meisel shoot ever?
1. I recall it was with Nadege in the 90's, but I'm not sure.
The French always had beef with him. I actually was going to say, I relish this moment so much I don't care how it comes out. and it looks good on top of it.
One time Olivier Zahm left a snarky remark on a fan's IG account. :lol:

Last edited:
The French always had beef with him. I actually was going to say, I relish this moment so much I don't care how it comes out. and it looks good on top of it.
why the beef with him? just jealously?
What Oliver said? im curious...

It does NOT say Meisel to me at all, it's way wayyyyy too airbrushed.
It could have been shot by anyone.
Beside a reprint for what USED TO BE Vogue Paris, gosh... how sad.

why the beef with him? just jealously?
What Oliver said? im curious...
I think it's just a superiority complex. MAS only started working with Meisel in mid 2000s when she joined US Vogue. Carine, a bit later, back then still glued at the hip with Testino and Karl.
His unofficial account back then only posted pictures of him, and one time they posted a snap of him with Jean Paul Goude captioned "2 masters" or sth. Next thing you know OZ left a snide remark saying "meisel and the Master".

I think it's just a superiority complex. MAS only started working with Meisel in mid 2000s when she joined US Vogue. Carine, a bit later, back then still glued at the hip with Testino and Karl.
His unofficial account back then only posted pictures of him, and one time they posted a snap of him with Jean Paul Goude captioned "2 masters" or sth. Next thing you know OZ left a snide remark saying "meisel and the Master".
wow the shade...so childish... hahaha
well the french made their way to Meisel...

Very inoffensive and too laisser-faire for the stylist and art director. Vanilla. If only Vogue France was not as desperate for crowd-pleasing moves... Imagine them using that Sophia Loren-esque opening shot with the hat from the same editorial.

Vogue France using a reprint for the cover that Vogue España showed first... Degradation. At least this is Steven Meisel and his last Vogue Paris cover was in... 1989?

Very inoffensive and too laisser-faire for the stylist and art director. Vanilla. If only Vogue France was not as desperate for crowd-pleasing moves... Imagine them using that Sophia Loren-esque opening shot with the hat from the same editorial.

Vogue France using a reprint for the cover that Vogue España showed first... Degradation. At least this is Steven Meisel and his last Vogue Paris cover was in... 1989?
Maybe this cover story was for Vogue France and Vogue Espana is using it as well? Maybe it is for select European editions.

It’s a very beautiful cover and a really nice thing to have MAS styling a main ed with Meisel.
The Art Direction looks a bit fan made but it’s stunning.

I don’t think Meisel not shooting for VP had anything to do with the « French ».
He did worked with Carine for YSL, while she was still EIC.

Maybe Meisel had some kind of exclusivity with Vogue US and Vogue Italia.

Remember that Fabien Baron became, after M/M, the Art Director. He was also already a Meisel collaborator.
MAS started to work with Meisel in 2008/2009. They did the Vuitton/Madonna campaigns together before doing Balenciaga for F/W2009 and at that time, MAS was still working for VP.

I also have to say that in that time, Meisel’s work was very much connoted US Vogue or Vogue Italia. In a way his photography was so attached to them that it was a name not everybody thought about in Paris. Peter L, Patrick D and Roversi seemed more »adaptable ».

It’s a very beautiful cover and a really nice thing to have MAS styling a main ed with Meisel.
The Art Direction looks a bit fan made but it’s stunning.

I don’t think Meisel not shooting for VP had anything to do with the « French ».
He did worked with Carine for YSL, while she was still EIC.

Maybe Meisel had some kind of exclusivity with Vogue US and Vogue Italia.

Remember that Fabien Baron became, after M/M, the Art Director. He was also already a Meisel collaborator.
MAS started to work with Meisel in 2008/2009. They did the Vuitton/Madonna campaigns together before doing Balenciaga for F/W2009 and at that time, MAS was still working for VP.

I also have to say that in that time, Meisel’s work was very much connoted US Vogue or Vogue Italia. In a way his photography was so attached to them that it was a name not everybody thought about in Paris. Peter L, Patrick D and Roversi seemed more »adaptable ».
Hi @Lola701 I know you enjoy this much as I do! I was going to say, it's a territorial thing. Because Franca gave him this unheard of carte blanche in the industry, together they made so many models' careers with their covers (AND the lineups at Prada) it's only natural that the French had their own clan, promoted their own photogs, their own girls, etc.
I totally forgot that Carine worked with him for YSL, thanks for reminding me. :flower:
I do know that plenty of people fought to have him in the 90's and when they couldn't have him they got quite jealous. I know many people complaining about Meisel without actually naming him as well...
Do you remember the time when Meisel stopped doing covers for Vogue Italia? Gosh how they all rejoiced for 1 month per photog, eating up that chance. I thought it was hilarious :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patda02
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->