Vogue Italia January 2023 : Sora Choi by Carlijn Jacobs

Long overdue but I'm very happy to see her finally get a solo big 4 cover! :clap::wub: She's had better work with VI in the past but this one's not too bad. Feels like it would have worked better with a different photographer. Maybe Sarah Moon? Mert & Marcus? Overall still good though.

I just can't dislike it, Sora alone is enough to turn this into something my eyes can appreciate despite the flaws here or there. And, it feels bad to say it once again, but considering Vogue's current low standards, this is almost a masterpiece compared to many other (cover-) stories. Perhaps not a reason to rejoice but at least a relief for a couple weeks, until they reach new lows with their next issue.

some of the inside shots are good, like the one of Sora in the mirrored top, but those neon frames add nothing to the photographs.

I don't hate the cover, it could be worse, but I don't love it either, lose the frame and it'd look better. Still happy to see Sora on a Big 4 Vogue cover though, even if the magazine is not what it was under Franca (RIP).

I think its so much more interesting than other work I am seeing! It's something fresh. I really like it, and she looks mega good. I also found these:

Long overdue but I'm very happy to see her finally get a solo big 4 cover! :clap::wub: She's had better work with VI in the past but this one's not too bad. Feels like it would have worked better with a different photographer. Maybe Sarah Moon? Mert & Marcus? Overall still good though.

VI completes her Big 4? Wow! Congrats, Sora!! Is she the only Asian model who’s ever done it?

I love the face but not the pose.
However the editorial is interesting.
I think the team could have done something much much better.
The photographer and editors are to blame here.

I don't think it's bad...much better than their last january

I like Sora and it's an interesting take on her. I like the one with the big bulge....maybe for the bulge...kidding...or not..lol

We can live in the past if we want and we always have those amazing editorials and covers, i think we need to appreciate the beauty of things given the current magazine situation...

Much better results than Vogue France for sure...

Vogue Italia, January 2023
View attachment 1222849
Photographer: Carlijn Jacobs
Head of Editorial Content: Francesca Ragazzi
Stylist: Imruh Asha
Hair Stylist: Jawara
Make-up Artist: Jen Myles
Set Designer: Heath Mattioli
Production: PRODn
Global Creative Director: Juan Costa Paz
With: Sora Choi
View attachment 1222856 View attachment 1222853 View attachment 1222851 View attachment 1222854 View attachment 1222850 View attachment 1222855 View attachment 1222857 View attachment 1222859 View attachment 1222860 View attachment 1222862 View attachment 1222861 View attachment 1222858

View attachment 1222852
Source: Vogue Italia/ vogue.it

Thank you for posting the whole editorial! That first photo would have made an incredible cover !

I bought it today, i must say it looks much better in print, i already like it so it was nice upgraded. The main story is simply called "Sora Choi"

This one (Versace dress) is on the Editor’s letter:

And this one (Schiaparelli dress) before the editorial’s opening page

And this one ( Chanel and John Galliano archive) on the beauty section along with an interview:

The rest shared here are from the editorial..

other editorials (i guess all reprints) are
“ Backstage” by Bruno Stab with Tanya Churbanova
“Bohemian Spirit” by Lachlan Bailey with Ida Heiner
“Orario Continuato” by Craig McDean with Mona T
“Al termine della notte” by Renell Medrano with Anok
“Cromorama” by Zoey Grossman with several models.

The last page with a LV x Yayoi Kusama bag. Product shot (Guess done by the Vogue Spain team)

146 pages.

That’s it.

The one with the flowers should have been the cover instead.

I agree, there so many better options for the cover. Magazines still have some sort of deal with brands to show up in specific months? That should explain why so many magazines has terrible covers with better options inside.

The red shot should've been the cover! It's striking and referential without looking like a vintage reprint.
Surprised to see that the cracks of creative burnout are already starting to show from Carlijn's work. She's trying too much too soon, and it's all starting to look like rip-offs.

As for Sora, never cared for her much. She's decent enough I suppose but I just don't think she has the personality for the story that Vogue Italia is trying to build but oh well. I'd much rather have preferred the lovely Sherry Shi.

French Vogue and British Vogue never put an East Asian model on the cover alone. That's crazy. With Sora and the Korean wave must be the time to change that.

There's a page that has writing "L'Uomo Vogue". Is it a section or it's announcing the relaunch of L'Uomo again? I can only see the Pressreader thumbnails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->