Vogue Portugal May 2019 : Sharon Stone by Branislav Simoncik

Um, admittedly I'm wrong about Madonna because she booked a lot between the late 80s and early 90s, but Sharon have only 6 covers, this being her 7th? That doesnt quite match her career and following. And I didn't meant it as an insult!
I know what you mean, she could have had more covers given what a massive movie star she was (I agree with you that she had a following, she was seriosuly huge in her heydey!), but honestly 7 Vogue covers is a lot. Look at some of other actresses that actually never got cover, or otherwise attenion from Vogue! Hillary Swank, Jessica Lange even Liv Tyler.etc

Sharon is also very difficult to shoot, because she will NOT give up photo approval, not sure these days, but in her prime? Forget it, i think Wintour gave her only 1 cover because of that, and some rumored falling out they had.

It's funny in a way that Sharon and Madonna both have covers this month - being of the same generation of entertainers and somewhat 'rivals'. Remember when that letter Madonna wrote in the 90s was leaked where she ponders why Sharon is so successful and how she'll never have Sharon's acting career? Even if Sharon's filmography never quite matched her stardom, she's a genuine movie star and an icon known all over the world.

Wow at that first cover! I absolutely love it. Wish I could find somewhere to buy vogue portugal online :(

Love the first cover, its beautiful! The second is awful and her facial expression makes it even worse - it almost looks like she's being forced to do that pose.

It's funny in a way that Sharon and Madonna both have covers this month - being of the same generation of entertainers and somewhat 'rivals'. Remember when that letter Madonna wrote in the 90s was leaked where she ponders why Sharon is so successful and how she'll never have Sharon's acting career? Even if Sharon's filmography never quite matched her stardom, she's a genuine movie star and an icon known all over the world.

And Madonna isn’t?

And Madonna isn’t?
Madonna's 'icon' status is not in question and goes without saying, I was referring to Sharon because it's Sharon's stardom that's being somewhat questioned here and this thread is about her.

They're both icons but really it's apples and oranges - Madonna is a brand, she's Madonna Inc. who's been moving the needle in the culture for decades. Sharon is a movie actress, the timeless beauty, the icon of the screen. They're about the same age, both humanitarians, but mostly they're different types of icons with vastly different trajectories and crafts.

Last edited:
Madonna's 'icon' status is not in question and goes without saying, I was referring to Sharon because it's Sharon's stardom that's being somewhat questioned here and this thread is about her.

They're both icons but really it's apples and oranges - Madonna is a brand, she's Madonna Inc. who's been moving the needle in the culture for decades. Sharon is a movie actress, the timeless beauty, the icon of the screen. They're about the same age, both humanitarians, but mostly they're different types of icons with vastly different trajectories and crafts.

I agree with all of that. Thanks for clarifying. I love both of them by the way. I don’t know how would anyone question Sharon’s status but hey...

Just bought the first cover. First impression is that apparently they finally removed the plastic packaging (maybe they do listen to their potential buyers).

The worst editorial is by far the main one. The amount of post-production completely destroys most of the pictures. Even my boyfriend (who gets zero of fashion or fashion photography) asked me if it was supposed to look that bad. Really really aggressive post-production, Klein style. The other editorials seem nice, though.

Lot's of partial nudity as it was to expect. I still have to figure out how to open one of the supplements inside... It's about sex and sealed shut... don't ask. :lol:

It's no "special XXX issue" from The Face, I'm afraid, but maybe that supplement has something bombastic.

Just bought the first cover. First impression is that apparently they finally removed the plastic packaging (maybe they do listen to their potential buyers).

The worst editorial is by far the main one. The amount of post-production completely destroys most of the pictures. Even my boyfriend (who gets zero of fashion or fashion photography) asked me if it was supposed to look that bad. Really really aggressive post-production, Klein style. The other editorials seem nice, though.

Lot's of partial nudity as it was to expect. I still have to figure out how to open one of the supplements inside... It's about sex and sealed shut... don't ask. :lol:

It's no "special XXX issue" from The Face, I'm afraid, but maybe that supplement has something bombastic.

Ugh, I really do despise the fact that this magazine's distribution is crap. Now I'm keen to see what that supplement is all about, and Shazza Stone's cover edit. Even if it is bad, I'll still have it.

How's the content and layout and art direction in general, Estefania? Do they still run those Glamour-like servicey features? And is it more fashion content than written articles?

Ugh, I really do despise the fact that this magazine's distribution is crap. Now I'm keen to see what that supplement is all about, and Shazza Stone's cover edit. Even if it is bad, I'll still have it.

How's the content and layout and art direction in general, Estefania? Do they still run those Glamour-like servicey features? And is it more fashion content than written articles?

To be fair, Portuguese magazine distribution is crap. I can tell you all about it in private message if you would like but it's not 100% their fault there. Portugal treats their printed media very badly.

The supplement is all written content, a few interviews with pictures and pictures of sex toys. I finally managed to open the supplement (it's a rip to open) and the magazine looks like crap now (the perforated lines weren't aligned correctly so now it has excess paper in some and rips in others). I wish I didn't, the articles aren't that great.

It has a huge amount of written content. It has 312 pages though. If I counted correctly it has 8 editorials and one story/interview with Ericka Hart. Most editorials are exclusives, only two or three are reprints/non-exclusive. One has Kim Peers and the other Lucan (only models I immediately recognized). No Portuguese talent this time (not surprised).

The layout is very 2000's Vogue Italia. Nothing new. The only thing that might be different is that they do a series of images to use as separators (not sure if that's the correct name). That's smart. Content wise, the usual trend report pages, the "vacation" pages, the "art" pages, the usual opinion pieces and "real people stories about dreams or sexual encounters" pieces, yada yada yada. All very classic Vogue content and, in that sense, I feel it's very outdated.

I'm actually kind of regretting buying it, it is not as strong as I expected, given last month's edition. Very basic approach to sex. Also a bit hypocrite at times (they spend more than half of a think piece about female objectification just justifying the existence of their sister magazine GQ - it's hilarious the amount of times that GQ is written there, seriously). And someone should have told them that a girl posing in latex surrounded by dildos is not daring/provocative anymore. Not even for old religious-fanatic Portugal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->