Vogue Ukraine Spring 2024 by Brett Lloyd

not exactly new
Right. But it should be old, should belong to the past. It's like we never learn from what dirty things happened before our own birth, like wars are fate. And then we claim we are sensitive and sophisticate, read fashionable publications and good books. Wars are the worst side of humanity, and those who find benefits in them, no matter their side, have no hearable voice to me yet I hear them yell everyday. Every single day. Things, of course, are as complicated as usual, but it's up to forward-thinking medias (if they even dare to exist) to change the deal, by their words and visuals. I grew up as a child dreaming of the end of borders and nationalistic politics, born in Europe it felt easy but faced disappointments (like seeing how it's much more about money than human matters). Huge dreams and 2022-2024 results, heartbreaking. And the screwing machine keeps going on.

Selling war, no matter if it's a fashion zine or a cheap tabloïd, no matter if we're talking about the invader or the "invaded" has no point. Should never exist. Like stuff like nationalism, patriotism etc. Things that do actually and daily separate human beings from other human beings, people that could befriend otherwise, have no place or shouldn't have any. There should never be any "market" for this. But we tend to forget, sitting on our sofas looking at the TV (don't own any, btw) news like it were some Netflix series.
I completely agree with you, and with such a point of view (maybe expect for the patriotism part, as I believe we should all be patriots; as an idea, it actually harms no one, in comparison to nationalism). You are perhaps an idealist and philantropist, just like I believe I am.

However, on the other hand, MulletProof's analysis perhaps reflects the reality, and as such, one (being an individual, or a magazine) has to position oneself towards it.

I did experience a war, I was seven when Nato bombs were falling over our heads here in Serbia, then-Yugoslavia, and even from that stance, I am still unsure on how to position myself towards covers like this.
I am not sure whether something like this would boost my morale back in 1999 (saying I was older enough to understand the grown-up magazines). It's just complex, and if you take a longer look, tragic to see these boys in uniforms. It's just too concrete and explicit, so maybe something more abstract would be appropriate. Unless it's deliberate propaganda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->