W Magazine Volume #2 2023 : The Directors Issue

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Cover #1 with Michelle Williams and Paul Dano by Steven Spielberg:

I, too, would faint after seeing this cover, let alone star in it.

I hope they lead with this one because of Spielberg's star power, not because it was the best of the bunch.

Anyone know who the other directors are? Perhaps Sarah Polley? The Daniels? Gina Prince-Bythewood?

Michelle Williams AGAIN? She was one of the last issue cover stars. I like Michelle.. but its a really lazy choice from Mooves and the magazine editorial team.

Love this pic

ALSO I miss the high society / social acene in the “new” W. They used to print good articles about Peoples and places. Who are doing what. Now its just bad (in the most of the time) fashion ed. and thats it. Drama

Interesting photo, but it's a terrible magazine cover.

Have they ever had the star of one acclaimed film and the director of a separate acclaimed film do one of these covers together? I think it's typically the director and star of the same film. Should Chinonye Chukwu or Cate Blanchett feel left out? lol

What’s Underneath
Directed by Todd Field
Styled by Allia Alliata Di Montereale
Executive producer to Todd Field: Francesca Lentini
Lighting director: Pär M. Ekberg
Production design: Jess Gonchor
Hair by Araxi Lindsey
Makeup by Autumn Moultrie
Manicure by Emi Kudo

wmagazine

Have they ever had the star of one acclaimed film and the director of a separate acclaimed film do one of these covers together? I think it's typically the director and star of the same film. Should Chinonye Chukwu or Cate Blanchett feel left out? lol

Looking at the archives on their website, they had a cover of Viola Davis by Regina King, who that year were respectively promoting
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and One Night in Miami.
I think it's fun to switch/break the pairs!

Reactions: KoV
I don't know who Danielle Deadwyler is, but the editorial is great, the cover photo is good, but it doesn't work as a cover!

I’m sure half the internet is screaming about how amazing and “CAMP!!” this is, but having seen the full shoot, I find it to be godawful. Beautiful, glamorous portraits or a fashion-forward ed would’ve been more of an event, because Jennifer rarely is given the opportunity for that. Hell, even this concept could’ve worked if executed properly. As it stands, the terrible production value doesn’t read as fun to me, it just feels cheap and thoughtless and easy.

^ So true! I've seen many people today sharing that Jennifer ed on their Instagram stories and saying how obsessed they are.

I’m sure half the internet is screaming about how amazing and “CAMP!!” this is, but having seen the full shoot, I find it to be godawful. Beautiful, glamorous portraits or a fashion-forward ed would’ve been more of an event, because Jennifer rarely is given the opportunity for that. Hell, even this concept could’ve worked if executed properly. As it stands, the terrible production value doesn’t read as fun to me, it just feels cheap and thoughtless and easy.

You just described the movie too.

As a 90's kid, I went crazy with the Power Rangers ed with Jennifer. Son fun, hilarious and nostalgic. Is the first time I like something that bizarre. Made my day.

Got the Spielberg cover in the mail. 160 pp

Review:

"before night falls"
Photographer: Nadine Ijewere
Stylist: Ola-Oluwa Ebiti
Models: Abeny Nhial, Xie Chaoyu, Yoonmi Sun, Ling Chen, Nyagua Ruea, Qun Ye

(front of book)

"Face First"
Photographer: Julien Martinez Leclerc
Stylist: Rae Boxer
Makeup: Peter Philips
Hair: Olivier Schawalder
Models: Steinberg, Malgosia Bela, Sharon Alexie, Delfine Bafort, Christine Bergstrom, Kayako Higuchi, Inge Guerts, Raynara Negrine
-A Dior makeup edit with one page for each model

Also: an accessories edit, Lauren Halsey, Michael Stewart/Standing Ground

Got the Spielberg cover in the mail. 160 pp

Review:

"before night falls"
Photographer: Nadine Ijewere
Stylist: Ola-Oluwa Ebiti
Models: Abeny Nhial, Xie Chaoyu, Yoonmi Sun, Ling Chen, Nyagua Ruea, Qun Ye

(front of book)

"Face First"
Photographer: Julien Martinez Leclerc
Stylist: Rae Boxer
Makeup: Peter Philips
Hair: Olivier Schawalder
Models: Steinberg, Malgosia Bela, Sharon Alexie, Delfine Bafort, Christine Bergstrom, Kayako Higuchi, Inge Guerts, Raynara Negrine
-A Dior makeup edit with one page for each model

Also: an accessories edit, Lauren Halsey, Michael Stewart/Standing Ground

any article/interview?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->