Wearing The Right Accessories - Color Matching?

Discussion in 'More Accessories' started by lol!, Dec 6, 2003.

View Users: View Users
  1. lol!

lol! New Member

Hi,

I'm a fashion beginner in that I've recently started looking at the way I dress and am trying to actually dress well (if not stylishly - that might take me years) and sort of step out of my usual jeans and shirt ensemble...

Anyway, my boyfriend recently bought an off white MJ handbag for me, and I'm entirely at a loss for how to wear it. :huh: Everything in my wardrobe is dark, which is why I usually buy black shoes and a black bag! I'm thinking of looking for a matching scarf or belt...and then matching shoes. But is that trying too hard to match? You can't match a white bag with black shoes can you? Like I said, I'm a beginner. That's why I buy black - so I don't have to think of these things! :doh: :blink:

If you have any suggestions/advice, please share them! Thanks a lot for your help! :flower:

2. lol!

lol! New Member

Oh...maybe I should have put this under Personal Style. So hard to tell... Thanks anyway, guys.

3. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Black & white: monochrome contrasting chic a la Brigitte Bardot?

4. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

B) oh yes you do lol! ;)
    mix&match is the thing to do, the more unexpected the better.

you can cetainly hold your white bag with your all black looks, maybe add a red , bright green or pink scarve or roll neck (to balance some colour) and there you go, stylish as can be :flower:

5. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

[​IMG]

Like her....

6. lol!

lol! New Member

Now those are definitely styles I think I could put together from my wardrobe without going to buy a new one. Thanks!

(would Bardot's look above be considered "mod"?)

7. metal-on-metal

Hmm. . . I generally don't even think about matching things in this way. I think it's really not modern to match your shoe to your bag to your belt to your hat to your skirt to your lipgloss to your watch strap. It's just unnecessary and too constricting. Wear it with whatever you have lying around. Incorporate more color into your wardrobe and that will enable you to mix and match, as Lena said.

8. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

I agree with Lena and Chick... go colorful, buy basic colour clothing, like black shirts, jeans, pants, skirts, neutrals...splurge on those, because they are going to take you a long way. Then you can find unexpensive accesories that you can use to update and play with your look. But starting with basic clothing is the best, because you can always go and find a great jacket or coat to throw over and look great. But never be predictable, always go the opposite ;)

9. Plumour

Plumour New Member

I so agree!
    well....you do need to match up a bit to complete the look,
    but I think the "shoes match to bag to belt to hat..." thing is really out.

10. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

The bag, shoe and belt and all the other accesories don't neccesarily have to match. The important thing is it should have, underneath it all, one sort-of-virtual structure that binds them together. :flower:

Though monochromatic makes a strong and directional statement. ;)