What can I wear it with?

@Dora: I think you could wear it with almost anything! However, I like Lolitas 1st suggestion. You could also wear it with black heels and red lips.

Thank you girls!

I guess I will go with Lolita's first suggestion. A set of pearls will work!!!!!

What would you wear with these shoes? I love the cute mary-jane look, but I find it hard to figure out what clothes to go with them

DSC_0017-4.jpg

Read these style tips and peruse these celebrity looks for your own ideas!

With a Dress: Wearing patent Mary Janes with an evening dress/cocktail dress is the simplest way to go. Just throw on a gorgeous colored dress and black mary janes. If the dress is black, PLEASE opt for colored Mary Janes. I hate washed out outfits.

Go Bold: Try colored Mary Janes with a colored dress like Taylor Swift. I love the contrast of two bright colors. The look is fresh and very spring!

With a Skirt: Don't go too high, just go a bit tight. Pencil skirts are my favorite things to wear with my Mary Janes. It's extremely flattering and sexy.

Go Bold: Try Mary Janes with high socks. The look will be a little kitsch but super stylish and sexy!

With Shorts: Wearing Mary Janes with shorts is completely possible. If it's an evening look, make sure the shorts are evening like. (No jeans!) Keep the shoes fairly simple and don't wear a revealing top! Long sleeves are best paired with short shorts.

Go Bold: Try a patterned mary jane shoe. After all, don't you want attention at your feet?

With Pants: If the pants are long and flared, the shoes are difficult to see, which obscures the whole point of wearing them! Wear skinny pants in an unexpected color. Try khaki or white. It'll look uber-chic when done correctly. Remember, if the pants are super skinny, keep the top somewhat flow-y to balance out your look.

Go Bold: Try colored pants with black mary janes! Yes, it's a risk, but with a black or neutral colored top, it'll look very balanced and chic.

Make it flattering!

Many women have expressed their concerns about the Mary Jane shoe. They wonder if the strap will make their ankles or legs look thicker. The trick here is to remember these simple rules for mary jane shoe shopping:

1. Keep the strap thin. A thick strap will very well cut off the leg line! Keep it under 1 cm.

2. Keep the strap low. Make sure the strap isn't close to the ankle. (Look at how low Megan Good's strap is- picture below)

3. Keep it pointy. The pointier the shoe, the more lengthened you will look. Now, one of the most essential aspects of a mary jane is the rounded toe. However, the modern mary janes today now feature pointier toes!

4450733_f260.jpg
4450731_f260.jpg

yenajeon.hubpages.com

yenajeon.hubpages.com

Thx. Great advice. However, I do not think all of them apply since my shoes are flat and therefore easily seem very girly. I usually wear classic/ladylike clothes and - once in a while - something girly, like a 50's full skirt, a Peter Pan collar etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to a ballet gala event thing on Saturday September 8 and I would love some help styling my look. Of course I can do it myself, but when I have all you fashion fiends at my fingertips, I can't not ask your opinion. The dress I have been wanting since last winter and I finally bought it! So I'm extremely excited to finally get it!!!! Images will be from shopbop.com. This is the dress:
roryb4005125718_q1_1-0_336x596.jpg

For shoes I was thinking:
-black heeled ankle booties
-black heeled peep-toe booties
-nude peep-toe slingback heels
-metallicy (kinda distressed leather metallic) open-toe heels in bronze
-can do something else if you think it needs something else. I have a lot of shoes. I want to do heels or wedges due to it being a ballet thing and feeling less stocky and insecure around all the dancers at the reception :P I am only 5'6" and a size 4 and they are all so loooong and thin even if they aren't tall)

For jewelry I have a dannijo bib necklace in turquoise-y colors to wear as something shorter and statement-y or I could do some long layered necklaces or something else of your suggestion. I also have a lot of jewelry too. I've worked at banana republic for YEARS and always buy tons of jewelry when it goes on sale. So I've built up a bit of a collection of costume/fashion jewelry.

My hair I already decided to do it down in messy beachy loose waves. My hair is very straight naturally, about shoulder length, and dirty blonde.

Makeup I don't know yet but that is kinda easy.

I mostly need help just deciding what shoes and jewelry to use. Oh yeah! And I have an Alexander Wang tuxedo blazer I was thinking of wearing with this look. It is black, double-breasted (but I wouldn't button it) and 3/4 sleeves and satiny. Thank you guys so much if you can help me!!! I will be ok I think if I don't get responses but I would appreciate your opinions.:flower: Thank you!

and p.s. the dress isn't scheduled to arrive until Sept 6 so I can't try it on to play with stuff until then....

@Pinksatin: When you are going to wear the A. Wang blazer, I think I would go for black shoes as well. Probably the peep-toe booties. I would use a black clutch as well and a gold-statement necklace.

You could also go for the metallic heels and the turquoise necklace.

So I have a question of my own.

I've bought this vintage sixties dress and I'm totally in love with it and want to wear it NOW. I do however need to have the zipper replaced. It is stuck.

Styling for summer seems easy for me. Just throw on a pair of heeled sandals, beige, nude, cognac, gold, silver or any other metallic, and you are good to go.

But how about styling for winter? Would you wear black tights with it? I can not figure out wether I think it would be a shame to do that which such a beautiful light coloured dress.

Any ideas would be helpful, but especially shoe suggestions would be nice. I have a variety of different colours; navy booties, nude ballet flats, black pumps, etc. etc.

DSC_0002-001.jpg

Pic via my blog

personally i would go with wool tights and no heels for fall/winter.
stunning dress BTW :flower:

pinksatin, before reading you own suggestions for shoes, my first thought was that you should go with some kind of strapped heels, I think a closed shoe would look too servere with that dress.
For what colour, I actually think bronze sounds nice. Nude would look good as well.

Betinapple, lovely dress.
I agree that it's probably a little more tricky figuring out how to style it for winter.
What I do with my summery light pieces is often to pair them with something grey. Grey isn't as harsh against the light colours as black, but it still wintery enough.
So I would probably wear it with a pair of grey wool tights with a pair of shoes witin the same colour scheme.
Though I think it would look okay too with a pair of black wool tights and a grey cardigan.
navy would look great too I think. e.g. navy tights with your navy booties.

Betinapple and Tinetush thank you for sharing some opinions.:flower: I will try out both of your suggestions tomorrow when the dress comes and I start trying on. I can't wait to see the dress too!!!:woot:

@Tine: thx for your input! I was thinking grey as well. Or cream tights. I have some nylons with dots in a nice cream colour, that goes very well with my navy booties.

I'm thinking cream tights, grey cardi, navy booties, brown bag and glasses and maybe a baret (navy, cream or grey).

Thank you guys for your feedback! I ended up trying on like 10 pairs of shoes and the black peep-toe booties were in the running for a long time but I went with tall BCBG platform sandals. THey are like a grey-blue leather strappy job and I haven't worn them in forever and they were expensive so I thought it was a good chance to take them for a spin. The booties I can wear with everything but those sandals are harder to wear without feeling OTT. And I wore a necklace from BR that has 9 blue stones in a square arrangement on a long gold chain. It reminds me of a breastplate for ancient priests or a torah but smaller. And that I got for 6.99 plus 40% off last week! And a ring with a large blue stone that I got for equally cheap. SO yay! I had a fabulous time and got to meet some of my hugest ballet idols (Jose Manuel Carreno, Julie Kent, Herman Cornejo, Craig Hall, Wendy Whelen, etc.!!!) Thank you for your input and help!:flower:
my photo:
28960496.jpg

ETA: Betinapple, I imagine lace tights with that dress in cream. Or sheer tights with dots. Or something crochet but in a light color. SOmething to bring in a wintery fabric but not too dark or too wintery.

@Pinksatin: you look gorgeous! You made some good choices. Wish it was me going to such an event.

Thx for your ideas for the dress. I think crochet tights would be great, but I am going to start out with sheer tights with dots, which I have. I'm trying not to shop too much these days.

I bought this dress to wear this at christmas/New year, but I have no idea what shoes to wear or whether or not it will look good with gold accessories (I don't have anything in silver...)? It is not a colour I usually wear, but I love silver and white for winter parties.

I also have a pair of gold shimmery strappy sandals I would like to wear (they are the same colour as the picture, but without the wooden/cork heel), but that sort of depends on whether or not I can wear gold with the dress...

If it helps your mental image I have red curly hair and pale skin.

I might also wear this to a summer wedding, would the same outfit work at the wedding (strappy shoes, gold accessories)?

I would appreciate any advice:flower:

(Sources: etsy, ebay)

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.370593837_odz2.jpg
    il_fullxfull.370593837_odz2.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 2
  • $T2eC16V,!yEE9s5jFJ)fBQUpHCM!C!~~60_35.JPG
    $T2eC16V,!yEE9s5jFJ)fBQUpHCM!C!~~60_35.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 120
@Eizhowa: I probably would not go for golden accesories, since the colour-tone of the dress is cold - not warm. I would find a pair of nice shoes in silver, nude, black or maybe a colour like navy or dark purple.

For a summer wedding I think I would add a cold-pink lipstick and a pair of silver sandals (or nude shoes with nude lips and a winged eyeliner).

I need your help as well.

I've bought a light blue, pleated midiskirt that I absolutely adore but do not know how to wear.

My first thought was wearing it with black tights and boots, black baret, brown glasses, maroon lipstick and a white sweater. But I have no white sweater and no intention of buying one.

I was also thinking of wearing it with black pumps, black belt, cream silk blouse and my YSL mail clutch, but I'm not sure wether the the would be 40's chic or too matronly.

Any ideas will be appreciated. I mainly need input on winter styling.

eizhowa I'm thinking of purple shoes, but I think that gold strappy shoes would work since the dress has some beige/gold effect. black shoes would as well, i would say wear pearls or/and mint blue earrings

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miumeow
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->