What Does It Really Cost To Make Those Clothes?

lol!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how much it really costs to create clothing - designer or not. Obviously the crystal/diamond rhinestone studded creations that celebrities may wear will cost a lot to make. But how about those $80 tee shirts that I see in stores (and can't help thinking, I know that must've cost five dollars to make)! I don't know if I'm right, though - after all I realize that the tee shirt could be make of the highest quality of Egyptian combed cotton, and taken five hours to sew, or something. I just have no idea.

Some of you here on this forum are designers, I think...or may be in the fashion design industry. So what do you think (or know) it really costs to create the stuff we see in retail stores/boutiques? Is there a huge difference between what something costs to make and what the price tag says by the time it gets to the store? (I kind of don't count local designers...I think they often can't afford to sell their clothing inexpensively as they don't have tons of available labor or funds like large companies)

By the way, I'm still getting the hang of where I should really be posting stuff, so I'm really sorry if I'm crashing this thread. :blush:

When you buy a luxury vehicle...you expect a higher level of service and exclusivity. It's the same principle with high end clothing. While many times the quality may actually exceed the norm, most times you're paying for exclusivity of design and a higher level of service.

There are exceptions like bespoke, haute couture, and customization, but for the purposes of a tee-shirt, unless it's an Armani cashmere tee shirt, it's probably just a tee shirt with a label sown in back.

Remember a lot of big retailers have access to the same factories/producers as a lot of the designer houses. They have access because they keep the factory alive with orders of three hundred thousand garments instead of twenty.

Originally posted by lol!@Dec 13th, 2003 - 9:38 pm
But how about those $80 tee shirts that I see in stores (and can't help thinking, I know that must've cost five dollars to make)!
actualy it rpobebly cost 75 cens - 1$

sad but true

but you ahev to relize that you are apying for mroe than how much it cost to make.

In material terms a Picasso is worth about £50...add six zeros and you wouldn't be far off how much some Picassos have been auctioned for at Christie's.

As Mike said you only really get real better quality with designer's higher-end pieces or bespoke &c. The quality of the finishing and materials may be better with designer items. With t-shirts they will use a decent heavy-weight cotton, permanent printing techniques, good sewing...also designer items are made in MEDC countries which means that the workers have to be paid a lot more. Exampli gratia: an Italian factory worker expects £50 a day at the very least whereas a Chinese worker would be lucky to make that in a month.

The real cost? I don't know. Depends what it's made of. How many designers were needed to design it and for how long. How long it took to fabricate &c.

Would someone mind giving a little explaination of what bespoke is, I'm not sure many people know.
thanks.

Bespoke means the shoe, shirt, suit, etc. is made-to-measure for the customer.

It generally means that the item is hand-fabricated and is of a much higher quality (and obviously a better fit)...

I was under the impression that custom made garments were made to measure pieces...perhaps that was a wrong assumption. Thanks for the explainer on bespoke.

if you think the fashion houses are making $$$$$$$$ and they're selling these clothes to the stores......which are making at least 200% mark up on everything the sell....

so the actual price for making them is LOW

Originally posted by marrimoda@Dec 17th, 2003 - 12:13 am
I was under the impression that custom made garments were made to measure pieces...perhaps that was a wrong assumption.
your impression is correct, welcome to FS marrimoda :flower:

since shops take a 200% profit, the 80$ t-shirt is sold at a mere 22$ by the manufacturer, regardless if this is a huge company or an indie designer.
Wholesale profits vary much if you are in mass marketing (you achieve much lower manufacturing/scourcing prices) than when you are 'small' start up business.
At 22$ wholesale price, a young designer will not profit more than 6$ per real hight quality t-shirt most of which 6$ will go to covering packaging etc expences. :P

Hence a 80$ t-shirt is sold cheap and is not really worth the time of the indie designer. Prices should start from 120+ in order to make profit. After all, a young label will only sell a limited amount, unique-ness should definitly be cashed in, its only fair to pay more for something rare, inspired and of top quality. :flower:

regarding 'what does it really cost' one should actually count:
*cost of fabric & garment accessories
*cost of manufaturing sample line
*cost of manufacturing orders
*cost of running the business
*tax, logistics, etc
*cost of communicating the product
*cost of advertising
*shipping

:shock: its not as easy as it sounds.. much more if you happen to be a 'small or start up business'

it is not an industry secret that most 'made in Italy' labels are not made in Italy at all.. more like made in Pakistan, made in Bulgaria, made in Slovenia, made in Marocco etc.
Italian law should respect labeling rules and be honest regarding manufacturing sourcing. :P

Originally posted by Lena@Dec 18th, 2003 - 2:52 am
it is not an industry secret that most 'made in Italy' labels are not made in Italy at all.. more like made in Pakistan, made in Bulgaria, made in Slovenia, made in Marocco etc.
Italian law should respect labeling rules and be honest regarding manufacturing sourcing. :P
really :o is it even sewn togetehr in italy or any thing?

To clarify Bespoke is a higher order of Made to Measure. With MtM a tailor takes a limited number of body measurements and outsources those to get a shirt, pants, or suit. With Bespoke there is more detailed measurements, then there is a prototype made up with a fitting for the customer, where futher measurements are taken. Finally after all this process you get your item/s which are going to fit you perfectly (more so then MtM, and definitely better than off the rack). You can get any item Bespoke, some companies even do shoes.

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Dec 19th, 2003 - 4:30 am
from fabric down to assembling , made in somewherelse space, I know it's shocking .. much more because those labels charge as if those garment were made by european wage standards when they are not, its a rip off

there was a huge article on this in september at wwd.

Originally posted by Lena+Dec 19th, 2003 - 4:44 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Dec 19th, 2003 - 4:44 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spacemiu@Dec 19th, 2003 - 4:30 am
from fabric down to assembling , made in somewherelse space, I know it's shocking .. much more because those labels charge as if those garment were made by european wage standards when they are not, its a rip off

there was a huge article on this in september at wwd. [/b][/quote]
thats wrong

evil corperations

yup i read that too

there are so many loop holes they can pass through to still qualify for this 'made in italy' tag though

The companies that have licensed boutiques sell under the law of the country that the boutique is in. American and UK law is rather different from Italian law....

Which leads me to the conclusion that Versace/Armani/D&G couldn't sell you something that said MIItaly unless it was??? :unsure:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 20th, 2003 - 1:40 am

Which leads me to the conclusion that Versace/Armani/D&G couldn't sell you something that said MIItaly unless it was??? :unsure:
your conclusion is quite wrong my dear prince :P

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 20th, 2003 - 3:11 pm
There's something very fishy going on here....
it is no secret, the other time i was browsing some Indian embroiderers work while in paris, they actually said they were doing all beading for Armani and they had the 'origianl designs' right there but not for sale.. there's no reason why i wouldnt belive them, i cant see Italian ateliers beading those all over dresses ..could be at haute couture price range and Armani has no couture price range or line :wink: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarestjewel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->