What exactly is a footwear techonologist?

Amyamyxxx

Reaction score
There is a job going for a footwear technologist and i really dont really have a clue what a 'technologist is' but i'd love to do it (even though i've already just got a job in topshop!) :P
This is the description it gives but i just wondered if anyone has anymore insight in to it?

The role will involve working closely with the Footwear Technologist team to provide effective technical support. You will report to the Footwear Manager and whilst in this role you will develop your technical knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the Technology function

General responsibilities will include :·
Contributing in fit sessions and product development meetings
Communicating fitting amendments to suppliers
Maintaining critical paths with the buying teams
Maintaining and approving Product Test Reports
Monitoring supplier quality performance using in house systems
Monitoring customer returns performance using in house systems
Liaising with our Distribution Centre on Acceptable Quality Levels
Store visits and competition Benchmarking exercise
Factory and supplier visits·
Organising Fit reviews

hmmmmm :blink:

And the answer is. . .

Surprisingly, as fashionable as shoes are, the people who tend to work with them are industrial designers. I have never actually heard the term 'technologist' when it comes to footwear construction, but the job description that you've shared is exactly what industrial designer does.

This includes materials study, production methods and costs, case studies on who could be wearing the product (the biggest foot, the smelliest foot, the lightest person, etc.), cultural studies on who buys the product, and what's ethical and considered 'progressive' in terms of production. I'm sure I've left a bunch of things out. One of the few things that the industrial designer isn't really able to control is the product marketing techniques and whether the company that buys the rights to the product will actually put it into production.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I meant to say . . . :b

Sounds like marketing peepol. Dunno why you want to know what this person does, since you have the outline in front of you.

As for the people involved in designing shoes . . . Surprisingly, as fashionable as shoes are, the people who tend to work out the designs are industrial designers. I have never actually heard the term 'technologist' when it comes to footwear construction, but the job description that you've shared is exactly what industrial designer does.

This includes materials study, production methods and costs, case studies on who could be wearing the product (the biggest foot, the smelliest foot, the lightest person, etc.), cultural studies on who buys the product, and what's ethical and considered 'progressive' in terms of production. I'm sure I've left a bunch of things out. One of the few things that the industrial designer isn't really able to control is the product marketing techniques and whether the company that buys the rights to the product will actually put it into production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->