White Chicks

Originally posted by sugarpea+Jun 25th, 2004 - 5:26 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sugarpea @ Jun 25th, 2004 - 5:26 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-CelineChic@Jun 24th, 2004 - 5:58 pm
They're allowed to make fun of white women and it is funny. I'm sure if white people were to dress up as black people and make fun of them they would be considered racist.

This movie is rascist in my opinion. Its also a generalization and looks really stupid in any case.  :yuk:
hey i agree but what should be understood is that there isnt a level playing field to begin with (in terms of how we portray and treat african americans v. white americans) so making fun of either race does not hold the same value (im not trying to excuse the jokes against white women, but trying to explain it)

what im trying to say is, that making fun of african americans in film affirms existing racism that african americans as a group experience in the real world..so if a film portrays african americans as stupid this just strengthens peoples' existing willingness to discriminate against african americans in the real world, that is why people are upset when a film stereotypes african americans...the reverse does not happen to the same extent...while we make fun of white peolpe in films, we do not have institionalized racism against white people in the real world, so the consequences of making fun of white people on film is not as serious as making fun of black people on film (i hope im making sense)

further, the stereotypes of whites in films are mostly that they are too proper, uptight, and perhaps a little cheesy...hardly that negative when you compare it to the stereotypes of blacks in films as gangstas, people with less than perfect english...

just look at bringin down the house with steve martin and queen latifah...i thought this movie brought out the worst stereotypes of african americans as people who are loud, who have criminal records etc...it was so offensive...whereas the stereotype of whites as demonstrated by steve martin's character were that they were upstanding citizens, well-educated, and a little too uptight...benign in comparison

while stereotypes of both races are bad, stereotypes of african americans are generally more offensive and grave, given underlying racism against african americans in this country...[/b][/quote]
that was very well said :flower:

just to add, this movie plays on several African American and gender stereotypes as well...In fact, much of the humor comes from the very fact that these two rather stereotypical black males are playing the role of two sterotypical RICH white females...it isn't really intended to degrade a specific association...

with that said, celinechic, i understand your point :flower:... i respect and agree with it from the bottom of my heart...seriously ...in a perfect world stereotypes of any affiliation would not exsist...

as sugarpea pointed out though, the stereotypes of African Americans is very different from the sterotypes of Caucasian Americans....i'm sure there are plenty white women who do not identify with the rich, snobby, ditsy white girls depicted in this film... BUT i'm almost certain they would prefer the white stereotype over that of the uneducated, dangerous, black criminal

Originally posted by Cottonmouth@Jun 24th, 2004 - 5:35 am
they are a hot sexy family of men.

except their horseface sister kim she was beaten with the ugly stick.

kinda the opposite of the jacksons. except latoya was beat by the manmade ugly stick too.
:rofl: i just shat myself laughing.

Furthermore.... I guess the people who are finding this movie to be a racial issue aren't paying much attention to the fact that these are the Wayans brothers...

I dont think they've ever done anything serious... EVER.

If something is executed clearly in a joking manner, it should be taken as such... a joke...

All I was saying is that I thought the subject could also be interesting taken from a more serious perspective. I think the movie looks like it could be funny in a "stupid-funny" way. I'll probably see it on $5 matinee in a few weeks.

The Wayans look SO creepy under all that make up ... they totally sucked when hosted some MTV Award show ... though they're generally good.
I may check out the movie if I can stop staring at them ...

I see all of your points I guess I would see them a bit clearer if I thought these guys were actually funny.

I don't see anything comedic in the stupidities they do/say. I guess If I saw the humour then I would see that its not taking a jab at white women.

Originally posted by OriginalGucciGirl+Jun 25th, 2004 - 4:22 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OriginalGucciGirl @ Jun 25th, 2004 - 4:22 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CelineChic@Jun 24th, 2004 - 5:58 pm
They're allowed to make fun of white women and it is funny. I'm sure if white people were to dress up as black people and make fun of them they would be considered racist.

This movie is rascist in my opinion. Its also a generalization and looks really stupid in any case. :yuk:
Utter RUBBISH!!! Before prostethics and fat suits, there were "Black Faces" or Gollywogs as they were called, people like AL Jolson using boot polish to blacken their faces and hands, standing on stage/or in front of cameras sings ' Mamie an' sh*t' THAT IS RACIST. This is simple COMEDIC antics taking the mic out of two sisters(from what i have heard) not two black guys dressing up as white girls taking the mic out of white people. Lighten up, the reverse has been done. :innocent: [/b][/quote]
Just because the reverse has been done doesnt mean its ok. It is wrong both ways.

I don't need to lighten up, it is just my opinion :flower:

How is this movie racist? Because they portray rich white girls as ditzy?? Uh... aren't they? Paris Hilton, Kimberly Stewart, Nicole Richie.... hello? All of them act like that. :lol

I saw the movie yesterday and it was HILARIOUS. I couldn't breathe at some parts. I also liked pointing out all the designer duds. :lol For those fashion buffs here, you might want to see it just so you can see how many designer shoes, clothing, purses, luggage, and accessories you can spot! There were tons -- it was fun. LOL

Oh, also, there were a lot of stereotypes in the movie, not just of ditzy, rich, white, somewhat famous girls.

There were stereotypes of black athletes only wanting white women, stereotypical hispanic/latino remarks...

it's definitely one of those movies that is so stupid that it's funny - or, maybe so funny it's stupid... :smile:

But anyway, I love in the previews when they're in the car and that song by Lil Jon comes on... guess you have to see it to get it. :flower:

Originally posted by CelineChic+Jun 26th, 2004 - 2:04 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CelineChic @ Jun 26th, 2004 - 2:04 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by OriginalGucciGirl@Jun 25th, 2004 - 4:22 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-CelineChic
@Jun 24th, 2004 - 5:58 pm

This movie is rascist in my opinion. Its also a generalization and looks really stupid in any case.  :yuk:

Utter RUBBISH!!! Before prostethics and fat suits, there were "Black Faces" or Gollywogs as they were called, people like AL Jolson using boot polish to blacken their faces and hands, standing on stage/or in front of cameras sings ' Mamie an' sh*t' THAT IS RACIST. This is simple COMEDIC antics taking the mic out of two sisters(from what i have heard) not two black guys dressing up as white girls taking the mic out of white people. Lighten up, the reverse has been done. :innocent:
Just because the reverse has been done doesnt mean its ok. It is wrong both ways.

I don't need to lighten up, it is just my opinion :flower: [/b][/quote]
I dont recall anyone saying ANYTHING was OK. It states the reverse has been done, and i dont see anyone or you writing about that.The fact is racism is just as prominent now-a-days in films as they were in AL JOLSON'S days. I think this post was looking at the lighter side of the wayan bro's in a comedic light, not some deep underlying jab at white women. <span style='color:red'>We are all entitled to our opinions, afterall that's what TFS was set up for! :innocent: </span>

I just saw this movie and i thought it was SOO hilarious! when I saw the previews i thought the Wayans brother's makeup job was so crappy but they actually looked like the hampton sisters...the sisters were so ugly...

"its not just any purse...its prada"

Originally posted by CelineChic+Jun 26th, 2004 - 2:04 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CelineChic @ Jun 26th, 2004 - 2:04 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Utter RUBBISH!!! Before prostethics and fat suits, there were "Black Faces" or Gollywogs as they were called, people like AL Jolson using boot polish to blacken their faces and hands, standing on stage/or in front of cameras sings ' Mamie an' sh*t' THAT IS RACIST. This is simple COMEDIC antics taking the mic out of two sisters(from what i have heard) not two black guys dressing up as white girls taking the mic out of white people. Lighten up, the reverse has been done. :innocent:

I don't need to lighten up, it is just my opinion :flower: [/b][/quote]
have you seen 'malibu's most wanted' or 'bringing down the house'? do you think those are racist? they are pretty much in the same genre of movies, same lines of black and white jokes.

Originally posted by star+Jun 27th, 2004 - 11:11 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (star @ Jun 27th, 2004 - 11:11 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by CelineChic@Jun 26th, 2004 - 2:04 am

I don't need to lighten up, it is just my opinion :flower:
have you seen 'malibu's most wanted' or 'bringing down the house'? do you think those are racist? they are pretty much in the same genre of movies, same lines of black and white jokes. [/b][/quote]
No, I'm not into those types of movies.

Originally posted by Frostelized@Jun 26th, 2004 - 10:17 am
How is this movie racist? Because they portray rich white girls as ditzy?? Uh... aren't they? Paris Hilton, Kimberly Stewart, Nicole Richie.... hello? All of them act like that. :lol

Please tell me you're joking.

Generalizing a tad too much, don't you think?

Originally posted by CelineChic+Jun 28th, 2004 - 12:59 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CelineChic @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 12:59 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Frostelized@Jun 26th, 2004 - 10:17 am

Please tell me you're joking.

Generalizing a tad too much, don't you think? [/b][/quote]
No I'm not joking.

How was that generalizing? Do you honestly believe that none of those girls I listed don't act like that? :innocent:

P.S. The "Because they portray rich white girls as ditzy?? Uh... aren't they?" was worded wrong, meant to say rich, white, socialite, jetsetters who are famous girls are ditzy. :P

if this is stereotyped they shd stop making comedies then! coz every comedy pokes fun at a cetain group of people. i advise anyone that is planning to watch this movie on a crtical point of view to just sit home and listen to the blues!

Originally posted by luna@Jun 25th, 2004 - 8:03 pm
Furthermore.... I guess the people who are finding this movie to be a racial issue aren't paying much attention to the fact that these are the Wayans brothers...

If something is executed clearly in a joking manner, it should be taken as such... a joke...
Yes! :wink: The movie obviously isn't MEANT to be taken seriously. So don't.

I guess I'm the only one who seen the movie and thought it wan't hilarious It was kind of funny, but not hilarious. The movie in the begining wasn't funny at all, and their acting in the begining reminded me of out takes. Plus I think Shawn should not act anymore because he can't. He's acting seemed corny to me or maybe it was because his lines were corny. As the movie countinued it got better, but I think it was really because of Marlon. Plus all of the previes being shown over and over kind of ruined the move because I knew what was going to happen, even through the people in thether I guess didn't see the previews. :P

Originally posted by prixi+Jun 29th, 2004 - 5:28 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (prixi @ Jun 29th, 2004 - 5:28 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-luna@Jun 25th, 2004 - 8:03 pm

Yes! :wink: The movie obviously isn't MEANT to be taken seriously. So don't. [/b][/quote]
:wink:

Honestly, If I had nothng better to see, I'd see it.. and I wouldn't think twice about it being a movie dealing with a racial issue.

What about that movie where Chris Rock died and took over an old white guys body? Did that movie cause all of this controversy... I thought that movie was hilarious as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->