!!!!!Why Are They So Expensive????

Reaction score
why are all these name brand handbags SO freaking expensive? i mean, yeah okay, they're BEAUTIFUL and aethetically pleasing, but other than that and the brand name itself, WHY are they mostly priced over $500+???? what's the difference between a designer bag and a bag from target/walmart/etc? i'm not trying to bash on designer handbags or anything. i love/worship/own them, but why are they so damn expensive? some of them seem way too overpriced. (i.e. marc jacobs (especially), dior, versace, juicy (barf) in my opinion).

why do you buy such expennnnsive bags, when the sole purpose of a handbag is to hold sh*t? i'm being quite hypocritical b/c i, too, own a few designer purses (lv speedy 30 (which is use religiously and it's not AS expensive as lv's other ridiculously priced purses), this gucci i got on sale for $350, besso (not exactly designer, but still cost me $265), two coach, a dooney, and the rest are from melrose, those stands in the mall, and other no-name brand stores). well anyways.

i don't know if it's just me, but i tend to get sick of my purses after awhile. i barely use my gucci, and my coach purses are just tossed somewhere in my closet, my dooney is just sitting there. the only purses i use on a daily basis are my speedy and balenciaga wannabe besso bag. so WHY do you purchase $1000+ purses? i just don't understand. i mean, what does it DO? do you ever regret buying them?

anyways. back to my question. why are they so expensive? especially chanel, tod's, celine, etc, but ESPECIALLY Chanel. why why why.

please enlighten me. :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
They are expensive because of the name brand, they are made by hand, and the QUALITY. You can't really compare a Wal-mart vs Marc Jacob or other name. Come on, the quality speaks for itself.

I have some cheap ones and some high end ones. The cheap ones don't last long. Some of my name brands I've had over 10 yrs and they just look better with age.

I think you answered the question yourself..they are expensive because of the brand names like Chanel, Dior etc. and also because if someone likes a handbag enough, they will buy it :ninja:

There is also an element of them being well made etc. BUT I dont think its strictly true for all expensive designer bags though :innocent:

Well it's true they are overpriced.. but everything is.. even bags at TOPSHOP you can buy for over a 100 pounds now, and that's not even designer!

You can tell a designer bag from a bag bought at a high street store because of the quality, the way it's made and look, now that i gotten into designer bags i could never wear a non-designer (unless vintage) just because of the quality.

I love my bags, i love to have different ones depending on which outfit i have on..

I don't know, there is just something, about a beautiful bag. :heart:

I have never sold any of my bags.. i know i would regret it if i did..

Chanel is so expensive, mostly because of what everyone else said. They are extremely well made, they use excellent materials and it's also the brand name, yes. But to me and many other people, it's not the brand name that counts, it's the workmanship, quality, the beautiful look of the bags and the materials they are made from that makes them so expensive. You wouldn't see a bag in Walmart that's handmade from lambskin for 10$ would you? IMO.:flower:

i remember reading something about hermes that described the process that they go through just to pick out the leather they use. the craftmenship is second to none on these bags.

but the name doesnt hurt

I only have a few bags, but for me it's the look of the bag, and the feel of the leather. I'm pretty young and only started buying bags a few months ago, so I dont think I've had them long enough to experience the quality, but I'm sure that will come with time :-)

Materials used + Labour + Definate status symbol = The expensive price tag

Fashion houses can afford to do it because someone will always buy it. Having a designer is much better than high street it'll last you forever, whereas if yopu buy a tote from h&m for £15 it might last you a year, but its not quite the same is it? I love my designer bags, but i also have an equal share of cheap ones too, I feel like the price tags are justified to be honest, i think its worth forking out when you know its quality and beautiful!

You're right, husbandbeaters (*snerk* at your sn! :lol: )

Yes, a handbag is nothing more than something to hold your crap. It's unnecessary, actually; after I had a bag stolen (a gorgeous Bonwit Teller black woven leather shoulderbag that my mother gave me, ARRRRGH! :angry: I'm still angry about it!) I didn't use one for a year, and got along just fine. And you can easily find a well-made handbag for less than four figures.

On the other hand, one must give in to irrational desires. It is the key to happiness in life. My rule is that if I've wanted something ridiculous for more than six months, it is a true desire and not just an infatuation.

Which is why I shelled out entirely too much $$$ for a lovely little Ferragamo bag a few months ago. It still brings me joy. :blush: :D

i'm pissed of at the prices too, but only because i'd need p.diddys amex to buy all the bags i'd love to own :-)

That's what I've been thinking all along-Great thread!!!!
They are expensive & will continue to be expensive, for as long as women will continue to pay hte highly ridicilous prices. i do understand that some are hand made, are high quality, great materials, but what can be worth 1,000's of $$$ in a med sized leather bag. I agree paying up to $500 for agreat bag, but anything that's above that is silly to pay!!!!!
i did say this in another thread, i think the bag for your money is the BCBG signature bag.... the prices ranged from 364 to about 550. that I understand spending.

masquerade said:
i remember reading something about hermes that described the process that they go through just to pick out the leather they use. the craftmenship is second to none on these bags.

but the name doesnt hurt

agree! Most designer bags are so well made and they use better materials, you can tell the difference. I :heart: designer!

i had a little talk with my friends regarding this matter and some of them think that i'm being a total hypocrite b/c i spent $580 on my speedy. the thing is, when it comes down to purchasing things, and especially high end handbags that cost mucho mucho of my dinero, i think long term and carefully analyze their endurance and durability. i tend not to follow trends, (i.e. lv cerises/multicolore, dior, juicy (once again, BARF), etc). although sometimes i do f*ck up once in awhile, a.k.a my dooney & bourke and coach. but that's okay, i'll just carry them when i go on a safari journey or something. anyways, the point is, i bought my speedy b/c i can totally see myself using it for life. this beauty is SO freaking durable, waterproof, and pretty damn capacious it's not even funny. i can fit everything i need in there: water bottle, makeup bag, sunglasses case, cellphone, ipod, cigarettes, a book, wallet, UM you get the point. just lovely.

if i ever lost my speedy, (God forbid) i'd take out 6 benjamins out of my poverty stricken bank account asap and replace my darling:heart: right away. and even if i didn't have the money, i would NEVER EVER even consider buying a (gasp) FAKE. that's like...worse than murder. *exaggeration* .......... or not.

i totally forgot where this post was leading to. oh well, it's my thread anyways. lol. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with most of you. They are expensive mainly because of the brand name. But with that brand name comes with great quality and workmanship. My mom's purses lasts soo long. I myself have several Chanel bags and they last long and always never truly outdated. But I understand how Hermes bags are priced that way, because one person hand makes the bag from start to finish.

I think everyone above has basically said it all, these bags cost so much because of the materials, the labour, the workmanship and (unfortunately) the hype.

Design houses can afford to price them so highly too, one because some (not all) of these handbags take that much effort to make and two, because there are people who are willing to pay that much.

It's irrational, I'll admit, but as you experienced it yourself with your speedy, the obession with purses are more emotionable than logical.

Maybe this can be equitable to: why do guys paid so much for a Beemer, when a Toyota can easily serve the same purpose?

P.S> Chanel isn't priced that expensive, relatively speaking. The prices at Bottega Veneta are worse... :ninja:

oh damn!

oh man! your so freaking funny. i actually laughed out loud to this one here. im saving up to get a speedy 30 and you just made me want it that much more. your fabulous babe! and after posting like three topics trying to figure out if the speedy 30 is right for me, and people ranting off topic, you just summed it up right there! thanks!!!!!

oh, and as a side note, you know whats really funny? the leather manufacturer for dooney and bourke was doing coaches leather on the side!!:lol: dude man, when peter, the owner, found out, boy was he ever pissed! but to stay on topic, a lot of the hardware and leather is hand tanned/ hand dyed and the hardware hand cut by these little family owned businesses in italy. out of my whole dooney and bourke experience working for them, that was the one thing that blew me away.:shock: the tiny amount of skilled artisans that do the work for such a large company. its f***ed up because then you see these cheap *** moms buying them for themselves and for their daughters and they have no fricken appreciation!:angry: not to mention most of em are *** ugly rip offs of whats the "it" bag...man, they've ripped off hermes, chloe, LV, so MANY!!!!!!!!!!!

The companies have to get their money somewhere.. I read that Gucci Groups clothes in comparasion how much money they get is 11% the most money really comes from accesories, perfumes..

It's also fun to have something not everyone you see on the street has..

It's the feeling i can't explain it, it feels good. :smile:

Reading through this thread, it seems like basically everyone is downplaying how the brand name factors into the price. That is the main factor in the pricing. The quality and craftsmanship are not actually $1000 better. That is ridiculous. :lol: The cost is absolutely NOT justified at any point through materials and craftsmanship for ANY designer bag.

But yes, designer bags are great. ^_^

it begs the question-how much DOES it cost, exactly, to make a Balenciaga city classique? or an LV speedy 30? or even a birkin? i'm asking seriously, tho i doubt many ppl know...its something i've always wondered about. whats the markup?

if i had to guess, for the Balenciaga, i'd guess it costs them about.......i dunno :/ 300 to make? thats probably way off, not sure in which direction, but its just a guess. would love it if someone could shed some light on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybabycrzy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->