William Eggleston - Photographer

Estella*

a dim capacity for wings
Reaction score
not really a fashion photographer but i'd like to think he influenced teller, tillmans a bit, there also was an exhibition about the similar aspects in his and larry clark's work...

from www.egglestontrust.com

A native Southerner raised on a cotton plantation in the Mississippi Delta, William Eggleston has created a singular portrait of his native South since the late 1960s. His large-format prints monumentalize everyday subjects. Although he began his career making black and white images, he soon abandoned them to experiment with color technology. The Museum of Modern Art's groundbreaking one-man show of 1976, William Eggleston's Guide, established his reputation as the pioneer of modern color photography.

The appreciation of Eggleston's work has come a long way since the 1976 exhibition. He has been called the "father of color photography" - although he did not of course invent it - and since the 1990s he is widely regarded as the leading and most influential color photographer of the 20th century.

and from www.profotos.com

Biography: By Stanley Booth

Sept. 7, 1999 -- William Eggleston, now 60 years old, seems securely attached to the title "Father of Color Photography." Maybe the word "color" should be modified by "art" or "artistic," because of course he didn't invent the process. There have been those, however, who would deny that Eggleston's photography has much of anything to do with art.

I met Eggleston in Memphis in the early '60s, shortly after he had come there from his native Mississippi. He was already reputed to be a "serious" photographer. His progress over the decades, however slow and frustrating it's seemed at times to him, has been astonishing. The prince of a matriarchal Southern empire (his mother, two sisters, one wife and many female admirers), he has moved with assurance all along, paying scant heed to naysayers.

One afternoon in 1967, Eggleston, a beautifully groomed and attired young man with dark hair and eyes, dropped in on John Szarkowski, then curator of photography at the Museum of Modern Art, with a suitcase of color slides. It was as if Eggleston was turning himself in to the authorities. A result of this meeting, nine years later, was Eggleston's one-man show of color photographs at the MoMA, only the second in its history. In his introduction to "William Eggleston's Guide," a hardcover book published by the museum to accompany the show, Szarkowski referred to Eggleston's pictures as "perfect," to which the highly offended New York Times art critic Hilton Kramer responded, "Perfect? Perfectly banal, perhaps. Perfectly boring, certainly."

The MoMA show included such images as a dog drinking from a mud puddle, shoes under a bed, a child's tricycle, a tile shower and a kitchen oven. Maybe Kramer figured if he wanted to see a pile of shoes, he could look under his own bed. Others have objected to the subject matter of Eggleston's photographs -- one compared Eggleston's work unfavorably with Ansel Adams' big shots of such things as moonlight on mesas. Adams' subjects are magnificent but have little to do with most people's daily lives. Eggleston's work is dedicated to showing the beauty, humor and horror that surround us at all times and in all places.

An important key to Eggleston's underlying meaning is his admiration for Paul Klee and Vassily Kandinsky. As did these two good-humored masters, Eggleston produces works that are at once, in his phrase, "like jokes and like lessons." It would be a mistake to overemphasize the influence of Klee and Kandinsky on Eggleston -- even calling it an influence goes too far. It's more of an affinity, comparable to the one he shares with musicians as disparate as Satie and Ketelby. (Eggleston is also a musical composer and performer, but that's a topic for another day.)

Growing up in comfortable circumstances on a cotton plantation in Sumner, Miss., Eggleston took his first pictures when he was around 10, using a focus-free snapshot camera, the Brownie Hawkeye. "Everything I photographed blurred, looked horrible," he remembers.

Eggleston's father died in the Pacific during the Second World War, and much of Eggleston's nurturing consequently fell to his maternal grandfather, Judge Joseph Albert May, who died when Eggleston was 11. "He took pictures for a hobby, so I had his Contax and Leica IIIA at home," Eggleston says.

Eggleston attended a military-style boarding academy, Webb School in Bell Buckle, Tenn. His memories of the place are not pleasant: "One of the older students used to tell me, 'Eggleston, I don't know whether to call you "sh*t-t*t" or "t*t-sh*t."'" But he had a friend there named Tom Buchanan, who, later, when they were both attending Vanderbilt University, "marched me to the store and made me buy a camera and developer."

In the words of the brief biographical sketch in the "Guide," Eggleston "matriculated at, and on occasion attended, Vanderbilt University, Delta State College, and the University of Mississippi." At Ole Miss, around 1962, he saw for the first time the work of Cartier-Bresson, his initial inspiration: "A photographer friend of mine bought a book of Magnum work with some Cartier-Bresson pictures that were real art, period. You didn't think a camera made the picture. Sure didn't think of somebody taking the picture at a certain speed with a certain speed film. I couldn't imagine anybody doing anything more than making a perfect Cartier-Bresson. Which I could do, finally."

Last edited by a moderator:
.....:heart:

Attachments

• Eggleston4b.jpg
    Eggleston4b.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 13
one of his most famous images:

Attachments

• eggleston.jpg
    eggleston.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 24
two more

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 12
  • eggles.jpg
    eggles.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 5
He currently has a show at the Cheim & Read Gallery in Chelsea.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you love eggleston as i do, look for WALKER EVANS.
youll see how much evans pre-dates eggelston's eye, framing, settings...but evans uses black & white.
then later on evans made color polaroids like in the 60s & those are REALLY like eggleston's color work from that time and 70s...but I daresay evans is always the PURER photographer even in color...
if you love eggleston I think youll love/like walker evans too...
actually evans' black & whites from the 30s-50s are historically even more importnat than eggleston's 60s/70s work in many peoples opinion...

i know walker evans and like his work very much, but thank you:flower:

eggleston from www.changingrole.com
029.jpg

I am very fond of Eggleston's work. His aesthetic has a certain viscerality and dare I say, apocalypitc feeling to it.

eggleston_woman_on_swing.jpg

Another photographer I am fond is Ralph Eugene Meatyard.

c/o Masters of Photgraphy...

Attachments

• eggleston_gun.jpg
    eggleston_gun.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3
  • eggleston_woman_on_curb.jpg
    eggleston_woman_on_curb.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 9
thanks for sharing, ahhgucci. ( a little late, i know)
does anyone possibly know if there's an online version of the interview he gave to lula magazine?

http://www.nasjonalmuseet.no/

Attachments

• william_eggleston_handlevogn_utst1_large.jpg
    william_eggleston_handlevogn_utst1_large.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 189
He's starring in the new Marc Jacobs campaigns with Charlotte Rampling shot by Juergen Teller.

Those pictures are wonderful! He is definitely influential..Thanks for posting

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zyasiagrissom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->