Wonderland Spring 2021

MDNA

Reaction score

wonderlandmagazine.com

Stylist: Nicola Formichetti
Hair: Danilo Dixon
Makeup: Mary Phillips
Nails: Carolyn Orellana

Back when everyone was always tearing Madonna to shreds for not acting her age and being more matronly, it struck me that she was making it easier for those a decade or so behind, that people like J Lo and Gwen would reap the benefits. Clearly that is the case.

I love Gwen, but don’t really care for this.

Speaking of Madonna, this reminds me of that trainwreck Cosmo cover of hers that nobody asked for. They've even made Gwen look like a Maddona-quin.

Ellen von Unwerth's signature has now officially reached its expiry date. Never has her work looked this dated. And it doesn't help that she retouched Gwen to an unrecognisable level (good God, that 2nd cover! :shock:). I guess if I have to choose one solid cover the 4th one would be it?

Were 5 covers really necessary? Like the one with the necklace in her mouth would've been more than enough. Love Gwen's new song though!

Ellen von Unwerth's signature has now officially reached its expiry date. Never has her work looked this dated.

I think film + burlesque/dominatrix style fit really well in the sexy era, even recently it would've made an okay impression, but I so agree here. Her work nowadays looks like some newbie, amateur level, especially digital with this flash in the face.

Those covers look like straight from the 2005 tho.

Aiden by Bartek Smigulski:

Salma Hayek by Jack Brigland:

Sam Rollinson by Bartek Szmigulski:

Josie Lane by Bartek Smigulski:

Celeste by Nwaka Okparaeke:

Danny Griffin by Adam Whitehead:

Lottie Hayes by Bartek Smigulski:

Tumi Fani-Kayode by Bartek Smigulski:

A couple of years ago, I made a mistake and bought this magazine just because Hero Fiennes looked cute on the cover. I've never been more dissapointed of a magazine in my life. The content is repetitive and boring, looks like a teen magazine wanna be but full of B-C list celebrities that nobody cares enough to put them on a fashion magazine cover, also the journalists write about them like they are THE THING and is soooo awkward to read. That makes me think, who is the public of this magazine? Teenagers? If this is right, is stupid because the price is expensive and doesn't worth any single page of it.

These covers, as its editorial design looks so dated.

^^^When I was 20yo I bought into these “exclusive/niche/hard-to-find/overpriced” rags with the blandest content, just to have it. It’s the same marketing strategy that works for these hyped streetwear labels that sell ridiculously overpriced basics to impressionable kidz. There will always be 20yos (… and I’d say a few desperately-seeking-to-be-down-with the-kidz 40yos) to sucker into these scams.

…About Gewn. She was this gorgeous nerdy cool girl taking in the world when she first started. But now that she’s no longer a girl but a women— and a mainstream business women with her Christmas albums/Vegas shows/judge on signing contests at that (married to the ultimate hockey dad to boot), this indie-girlie” branding just feels and looks so phoney.

Gewn....lol, sounds like Gladys. Very campy. I love it, let's stick to that moving forward, lol

What's with all these covers? Are they celebrating an anniversary or something? Way too much, it's overkill.
Also, what is Salma doing in the lineup? At least Gwen makes sense because she's trying to be cool and if we're to go by the thinking that this magazine is aimed at Zoomers, then she would make sense. Because Zoomers watch The Voice, right? But what does Salma bring to the table?

Anyway, the best covers are Sam Rollinson, Celeste and the model Aiden with that mod cut. Rest are all terrible!

Do they seriously need to put all the brands that paid for the ads inside the magazine on the covers.

On the second thought, that a brilliant way to get more advertisers. Anna you know what to do :rofl:.

Salma Hayek? Where? There's nothing I hate more than magazines who repurpose absolutely each and every editorial they've got inside for a billion separate covers. You've already shown me about everything you have to offer and it's all abysmal, so what's the strategy here? I recognise like three out of all these names, all the covers look like Teen Vogue... it's actually embarrassing. What's the job of an editor if they just put out everything that comes up on the board?

It's so idiotic!
Do they or 'W Magazine' even print a magazine or do they just do a bunch of covers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->