WSJ. October 2023 : Raquel Zimmermann by Ethan James Green

The whole editorial reminds me of a very bare bones Rock the House by Meisel from US Vogue December 1999. I guess it was on the moodboard?

"Rock the House"
Model: Gisele Bündchen
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Fashion Editor: Grace Coddington
Hair: Garren
Makeup: Pat McGrath

archive.vogue.com

It’s very Demarchelier isn’t it? Aside from the hideous styling they aren’t bad pictures, just kind of boring

so now it’s just “who’s gonna imitate the 2000s best”? I’m bored already

Raquel is an incredible model, even though she's not that good as a cover girl, this one worked... I like it!

LOOOOOOVE HER: she looks WOWWW
- love the cover
- great greattttt hair and makeup
- stylist... should be fired! What the hell is this atrocity / circus / 90's grunge garbage???!

CANDY RAVERS REJOICE: THE '90S ARE BACK (Preview)
Photography: Ethan James Green
Styling: Charlotte Collet
Hair: Lucas Wilson
Make-up: Janessa Paré
Model: Raquel Zimmermann

wsj.com

Dior Fall and Spring 2001 must have been on the mood board too. Can we be a little less derivative?

I'm not sure if this is also 90s raver enough. She looks like all the female stars in those Disney Channel series and red carpets. Ashley Tisdale anyone...

Racquel looks bomb. Gisele was so rested in greatness in that archival 99 Vogue issue that was referenced up there.

the rebirth of patrick demarchelier?
i dont know why raquel is a bit stiff now...i just flipped through her pages in the old vogue paris under carine roitfeld, raquel used to be so damn on point.

anyway, it could be the problem of the phorographer and the editors of wsj

Hey hey you you I don’t like your girlfriend!! No way no way I think you need a new one!!

Music started to flow in my head

The styling is so atrocious that it’s difficult to appreciate.

Ethan might be doing his best Meisel, but someone is not doing their best Coddington. A lot of Steven's appeal lies in his ability to surround himself with the right people that bring a specific spark to his work and make it all come together and that's what's lacking here. Regardless, I appreciate the effort. It's a decent immitation, but proper styling would've elevated it to a much better story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->