Yara Shahidi

Aby

Reaction score
Surprised to find that there wasn't a thread yet on actress Yara Shahidi.

I find her absolutely charming, smart and talented. She's a breath of fresh air!

From Wikipedia:

Yara Sayeh Shahidi (Persian: یارا سایه شهیدی‎‎, Persian pronunciation: [jɑːɾɑː sɑːje ʃæhiːdiː]) (born February 10, 2000) is an Iranian-American actress and model, best known for playing Zoey on the sitcom Black-ish

Shahidi was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to a mixed African-American and Native Choctaw mother, Keri Salter Shahidi, and an Iranian-American father, Afshin Shahidi. Her father is a photographer. The family moved to California for Afshin's work, when Yara was 4. She is the older sister of child actor and model Sayeed Shahidi and a second cousin to rapper Nas.

At the SAG Awards wearing Naeem Khan

yara-shahidi-blackish-kids-2017-sag-awards-11.jpg

Just Jared

3CA427E100000578-4170558-image-m-69_1485748447932.jpg

3CA4235500000578-4170558-image-m-74_1485748562009.jpg

Daily Mail

YARA SHAHIDI at BET Awards 2017 in Los Angeles 06/25/2017

credit: hawtcelebs

She is absolutely stunning! Outfit is very age-appropriate which is so rare to see among people in her age group although I do think her stylist needs to take a few pointers. Also her HAIR :wub:

YARA SHAHIDI at Spiderman: Homecoming Premiere in Los Angeles 06/28/2017

YARA SHAHIDI at BET Black Girls Rock! in Newark 08/05/2017

YARA SHAHIDI at Variety Power of Young Hollywood in Los Angeles 08/08/2017

YARA SHAHIDI at 5th Annual Beautycon Festival in Los Angeles 08/12/2017

YARA SHAHIDI at 2017 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles 08/27/2017

YARA SHAHIDI at 69th Annual Primetime EMMY Awards in Los Angeles 09/17/2017

Loving her outfit here. She is just so stunning & poised:heart:

[

Last edited by a moderator:
Yara Shahidi attends the Marie Claire's Image Makers Awards 2018 on January 11, 2018 in West Hollywood, California.

EwlBVr5.jpg

Actor Yara Shahidi attends The 23rd Annual Critics' Choice Awards at Barker Hangar on January 11, 2018 in Santa Monica, California.

aCbG7H5.jpg

Yara Shahidi is seen wearing 3.1 Phillip Lim with a Chanel handbag, Loriblu boots and Paige Novick earrings in Chelsea on January 3, 2018 in New York City.

2XH5bW4.jpg

ijuWpbE.jpg

Yara Shahidi is seen wearing an Akri dress with Loriblu boots, Laura Lombardi earrings and Azlee rings on January 2, 2018 in New York City.

JbSpI2C.jpg

Yara Shahidi attends Refinery29 29Rooms Los Angeles: Turn It Into Art Opening Night Party at ROW DTLA on December 6, 2017 in Los Angeles, California.

hImn31c.jpg

Yara Shahidi attends the Hollywood Reporter/Lifetime WIE Breakfast at Milk Studios on December 6, 2017 in Hollywood, California.

CYyJ5W1.jpg

Yara Shahidi attends The Teen Vogue Summit LA: Keynote Conversation with Hillary Rodham Clinton and actress Yara Shahidi on December 2, 2017 in Playa Vista, California.

MnHutZf.jpg

Yara Shahidi is seen attending 2017 American Music Awards at Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California.

2GUWmar.jpg

9MXrmW9.jpg

Yara Shahidi attends The Hollywood Reporter's Next Gen 2017 Celebration at Poppy on November 8, 2017 in Los Angeles, California.

gjzXXua.jpg

Yara Shahidi attends ELLE's 24th Annual Women in Hollywood Celebration presented by L'Oreal Paris, Real Is Rare, Real Is A Diamond and CALVIN KLEIN at Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills on October 16, 2017 in Los Angeles, California.

dNw2Z0f.jpg

Actress Yara Shahidi speaks onstage during Glamour's "The Girl Project" on the International Day of the Girl on October 11, 2017 in New York City.

VsCk31a.jpg

zimbio.com​

She looked fantastic at the SAG Awards. :heart:

azMEvVH.jpg

Vsmzoj5.jpg

MjfOc5w.jpg

RrCFuIb.jpg

ncHAaUN.jpg

Actress Yara Shahidi of "Grown-ish" arrives at Freeform Summit on January 18, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

WcI9Ze1.jpg

pRlTUT7.jpg

Yara Shahidi attends the 49th NAACP Image Awards at Pasadena Civic Auditorium on January 15, 2018 in Pasadena, California.

8VtBXsO.jpg

yfceo3T.jpg

zimbio.com​

EEIUXRQ.jpg

Yara Shahidi attends the Chanel Haute Couture Spring Summer 2018 show as part of Paris Fashion Week on January 23, 2018 in Paris, France.

x48ZCTo.jpg

2GCUeNq.jpg

hawtcelebs.com​

Black Panther Premiere, Hollywood - 1.29.18

melindadaily

Actress/model/activist Yara Shahidi attends PUMA Galentine's Day Event with Yara Shahidi and Elaine Welteroth at Siren Studios on February 13, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

Sg5yExO.jpg

zimbio.com​

she has it ALL...
style, looks, brains, talent...

she is a shining star...

AND-
she is politically and socially aware...
she started a thing called 18x18 to get teenagers registered to vote...
:heart: this human...

Porter Edit by Net-A-Porter
February 23, 2018

Pretty Powerful
Model Yara Shahidi
Photographer Yelena Yemchuk
Styling Tracy Taylor

YARA SHAHIDI is a beautiful, talented actress. She is also an activist, a history lover and an outspoken supporter of young people who wants to shape the future. The landscape-changing former Editor of Teen Vogue, ELAINE WELTEROTH, talks to her about friendship, fashion and setting intentions.

I don’t remember my 18th birthday. But I am pretty certain voting was the last thing on my mind. Actress-turned-activist Yara Shahidi, on the other hand, is busy planning an earnest foray into adulthood with a voter registration party held at the Underground Museum, a buzzy cultural hub in Los Angeles. And that isn’t all that’s on this rising star’s busy social calendar. It is 10am on the eve of her 18th birthday and Shahidi is on an important phone call, pacing back and forth inside the New York’s Baccarat Hotel restaurant. “Sorry, just wrapping up with a producer,” she whispers, as she embraces me with a warm hug. “I’m doing [The Late Show with Stephen] Colbert tonight.” Yesterday, the icon-in-training was on stage at the Apollo Theater making history as the youngest person to be interviewed by Oprah on her daytime series SuperSoul Sunday, an honor typically reserved for world leaders and spiritual gurus, such as Joe Biden, Sheryl Sandberg and Deepak Chopra.

Perhaps this isn’t entirely surprising for a girl who got Michelle Obama to write her a college admissions letter to Harvard. Or whose performance as the eldest, perennially stylish daughter, Zoey Johnson, on ABC’s hit series Black-ish recently inspired a successful college-based spin-off show, Grown-ish. Launched to instant acclaim, the show delves unapologetically into real issues facing college-age kids today: drugs, dating, sexual orientation, racism, gender identity and cultivating friendship in a digitally dominated world.

Shahidi, though, is so much more than just a TV starlet. She is an activist, a thought leader and a necessary political voice for her generation, who has aspirations of shaping public policy. She uses her platform to empower girls in STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) and to promote the importance of voting via her newly formed Eighteenx18 initiative, all the while stunning on the red carpet in age-appropriate renditions of high fashion.

Today, she is completely makeup-free and wearing a gray hoodie with the words ‘You Matter’ across her chest. The actress, her publicist and her mother, Keri (affectionately known as @chocolatemommyluv on Instagram), are easy to spot in the midtown landmark hotel populated by mostly older, white, conservatively dressed patrons. Shahidi’s squad are rocking glorious halos of naturally curly hair with low-key athleisure looks, and their extra-terrestrially glowing brown skin is beaming. It’s immediately clear that the teenager is surrounded by a support system of strong women who encourage her to be exactly who she is.

Elaine Welteroth: How do you feel in your last moments of 17? You are almost an adult. Grown-ish…

Yara Shahidi: It’s kinda scary. 17 was more than good to me; it’s the perfect age because you get the full perks of being a teenager without being an adult. But the one thing that I am looking forward to is feeling more empowered to contribute. My friends have always said that if I got a fake ID, it would be to vote early.

Welteroth: The last time we sat down for a Teen Vogue cover story interview, you were 16 and we were preparing to have our first female president. So much has changed since then.

Shahidi: I think, oddly, it’s exciting because I don’t think that I would look forward to voting as much if there hadn’t been so much duress happening. It has made life less self-centric, it’s more about community now. And, I mean, it timed out really well for me in terms of going through this stage where you are trying to find your friend group, trying to find who you are, and for so many people to have this common agreement to want to help one another with everything that’s happening. It’s not usually how you start a friendship group: “You’re socially aware? Cool, great. We are friends now.” So that’s really special.

Welteroth: You have this platform where people are looking to you as a thought leader, more than as just a celebrity. It seems you really want to build on that responsibility.

Shahidi: I remember being at the White House and somebody asked me what I wanted to do. I said that I wanted to be a thought leader and she just kinda chuckled and said, “You need credentials for that.” It was really off-putting. I come from such strong support; I come from the land of ‘of course’. Like, ‘of course this is going to happen’ because we have willed it to be and we are going to put in the work to make it happen.

Welteroth: What have you learned from growing up on the Black-ish set?

Shahidi: It’s a funny place to grow up because they appreciate you being a kid, and then there are moments in which they want to know your opinion like a peer. I’ve always been asked how I felt, whether it be at the dinner table or at my place of work, but overarchingly, what Black-ish has shown is the power of aligning with projects you truly believe in. It’s set a precedence. It is a privilege to be able to say pretty much from the get-go that this is what I enjoy and for my opportunities to be so aligned.

Welteroth: Why do you think that has happened?

Shahidi: It comes from a place of intention. Even at seven, I named my corporation ‘Dharma Driven’.

Welteroth: What does that mean?

Shahidi: Dharma is a Hindi word; it means purpose, which is something that is revealed to you over time. I think that set the tone. I even remember at 14 being like, “Why am I here? I don’t get it.” I have this whole thing about legacy. A legacy only lasts 50 years, and when that generation ends, then what was my impact? I think I credit it to all the dystopian literature I was reading at the time. Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451 did not help! But I just try and find the commonalities of my interests. I wanted to be a historian and then I wanted to be a thought leader, and then I wanted to be policy adjacent [and help influence our political system], and amidst that, I wanted to be a professional jet-ski rider and also work for the FBI. I used to have the FBI most-wanted page pinned up, just in case I wanted to recognize people in the streets.

Welteroth: Spy kid! How do you articulate your intention for your career now?

Shahidi: I guess I start by saying, Hollywood is seemingly extremely trivial. Media is important, but the machine around the media is centered around red carpets and this idea of celebrity and personal cachet. All of these things in the long run don’t have much of an impact.

Welteroth: And they don’t matter very much to you?

Shahidi: I mean, [it’s like] the universe plans award shows to line up [with] major societal crises. I remember being at the Teen Choice Awards and Charlottesville was happening [the rallies that led to an anti-racism protestor being run over and killed]. So you are always being pushed up against this oxymoron of ‘the world is falling apart’, but [also] ‘I’m here and my fit looks great’.

Welteroth: How do you manage that duality?

Shahidi: Well, it’s like what can we do outside of Black-ish that gives meaning toward what we are doing? If we are going to be on this red carpet, what are we going to talk about? We are not going to just ignore the fact that there are riots happening and there is a KKK rally. And so, just being with a team that supports that [is special]. There is so much fear of actors being political, like that’s not our place, even though I feel that media has always been so inherently political. In the photos that you see of Martin Luther King Jr., even at the march on Washington, there’s Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte and James Baldwin, and all of these other creatives. I think media is both progressive and extremely orthodox and conservative at the same time. Things will happen in the movies before they happen in real life. Sidney Poitier winning an Oscar as a black man was just surreal and at the same time it symbolized forward movement in society.

Welteroth: You seem so rooted in history. You obsess over James Baldwin like teen girls obsess over a boy band. How is history relevant to what is happening today?

Shahidi: I think for me it really gives context; with the present and the future being so uncertain, through history, I can always track the outcome of our mistakes – whether it is looking at the French Revolution or something as powerful as the Haitian Revolution, or even thinking about living under Jim Crow [laws]. But also in terms of the more positive stuff, seeing activists that I admire makes me feel less lonely. Being able to turn to the past and see what they did helps with realizing how parallel time is.

Welteroth: You were just interviewed by Oprah and I need to know everything! What was the first question she asked you?

Shahidi: It was a general one: “Do you feel pressure?”

Welteroth: Well, do you?

Shahidi: I guess I’ll tell you what I told Oprah. It’s really nice because so much of my support has been through just being Yara. Whether it is the people who got to know me through you giving me a platform to guest-edit Teen Vogue, or those kinds of opportunities in which people are getting to know me, I feel like they are getting to know my reality versus just knowing me through the show. So, they’re expecting an authentic human and that is one thing that I can provide. Usually I am just a kid in a hoodie, jeans, and a fanny pack.

Welteroth: It’s usually a Chanel fanny pack though, let’s be real! We must talk about fashion. Although, I’ll admit, fashion seems so adjacent to everything else we are talking about…

Shahidi: No, it is so important. It’s why I wear a ton of political T-shirts because I get to wear things that state my political opinions. Fashion is associated with an ideology. You could wear a beret, but when you tilt it to the side, you go from Parisian to Black Panther.

Welteroth: It seems as if you approach fashion like you approach everything else in your life, from a place of intention.

Shahidi: I think the end goal is to not take myself too seriously. I have all the time in the world to wear a deep V-neck and all that, so why not do everything else?

Grown-ish is on Freeform now
net-a-porter

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->