Your handbags and you

victoire

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am doing research about my favourite thing in the world, handbags. London seems to have gone crazy with them, with must-have bags and waiting lists, and people spending huge amounts of money on them. And fashion designers are all entering the game too, launching new lines each season - and advertizing them heavily.

So I just wanted to ask: how do you decide which bag to get, is publicity important? how much are you willing to spend?
How often do you buy bags?
What does a bag say about you, is it important that it should be branded and recognizable?
Do you think the choice of handbag says a lot about the person who carries it?
Do you think some celebrities have very good taste in bags, if so who? Have you ever been inspired by a celeb to buy a bag? Or on the contrary, put off?
Thanks, I look forward to all your answers!!

+how do you decide which bag to get, is publicity important?

Publicity is very important, as far as a department store or designer presenting the bag enough to catch my eye. Sometimes I take 3-6 month breaks from fashion just to curb my spending. An email from Neiman Marcus or Saks telling me what the hot bags of are the season will definately be viewed.

+how much are you willing to spend?

$700-2600

+How often do you buy bags?

Since fall, I bought a Luella Giselle, Chanel Cambon pouchette, Chanel patent leather pouchette, Chanel red caviar classic, LV pont neuf and a Cole Hann straw purse. I guess that is 6 purses in about 8 months time. Usally before this I bought about one a year. I suspect I will do about 1 ever 6 months though from here on out.

+What does a bag say about you, is it important that it should be branded and recognizable?

I don't need a big brand name to carry a bag. I do find I am attracted most to certain designers. Chanel is so ladyline, with just enough edge and youthfulness for me. It fits my personality. I am girly, vintage loving, and feminine! I guess that would be the opposite of a Balenciaga, or Gucci which are often more edgy, urban and trendy. I also find color and pattern very important. A bag fits into my lifestyle if the color and material go, and are versitle. I am sure some people would choose fabric over leather, patent over textured. I almost never wear green, so I don't have any green purses.

+Do you think the choice of handbag says a lot about the person who carries it?

Yes, it says alot about the person, but not the whole story. It will tell you about their style. Some people try to achieve simple classic looks, otheres try to go out all there. I don't think this is a complete judge of person though. A balenciaga urban clothes wearing girl could be into 1920s music, be a doctor, who knows! The world is filled with diverse people.

+Do you think some celebrities have very good taste in bags, if so who?

Mischa Barton, since she has a great Chanel purse collection.

+Have you ever been inspired by a celeb to buy a bag? Or on the contrary, put off?

I have definately been put off by celebrities, especially such teen idol sorta people. (lohan, hilton, etc) I am young (23) but don't want to feel as immature as they seem. They annoy me so much, I want to do the opposite they do! Though sometimes I see they have on a cute such and such, so I search out that designer or fabric print, etc.

how do you decide which bag to get, is publicity important?
Publicity is important because I spend virtually no time in stores. If I don't see something in a magazine, I don't know about it. It can be an ad, or a picture of a celebrity carrying the bag. Sometimes I stop a woman on the street to ask about her bag.

how much are you willing to spend?
So far, not more than $1000. I refuse to spend more than a month's rent.

Maybe twice a year.

What does a bag say about you, is it important that it should be branded and recognizable?
I don't care about the brand or logo. I choose for practicality first (does it carry what I need, how heavy/flexible is it), then for quality - I want my bags to be a pleasure to use, and if they turn out not to be, they end up in the back of the closet. The style needs to fit my personality - I see lots of cute bags that I love, but would look stupid on me, and I'm learning to resist them. That said, my latest 2 bags are Balenciaga - a clutch that I use daily, and a classique from which I removed the tassles, that I use if I need to carry more than the basics (wallet, phone, lipstick, keys).

Yes, like any clothing - whether you mean it to or not, it says something about what your values are, whether you have a good sense of who you are. Where I live, there are lots of nouveau-riche women carrying logo bags - the local Starbucks is filled with LVs and Cs and Gs and Diors. I, on the other hand, want my labels on the inside, where they belong.

Do you think some celebrities have very good taste in bags, if so who? Have you ever been inspired by a celeb to buy a bag? Or on the contrary, put off?
I don't think I can generalize about celebrities' taste - they get a lot of freebies and have stylists selecting things for them, and it seems like they all end up carrying the same bags, so it's not clear what is their taste and what is the latest "I've got it before everyone else does" trend. In general, though, I'm not inspired or put off by what a particular celibrity wears. Though if I were younger, like rhiannonmars, I wouldn't want to be associated with Lohan either.

Interesting set of questions, victoire!

*Is publicity important?

If you are the designer or retailer yes.Not for me. Too much publicity normally means trendy- of the moment. (exception : Birkin :rolleyes: )

*How much are you willing to spend?

$0 - $1000.00

*How often do you buy bags?

Hrm..never actually thought of it. Last bag I purchased was a straw bag
about less than a month- duty free inthe Bahamas :P

*What does a bag say about you.
Depends on my mood/attire for the day.

*Is it important that it should be branded and recognizable?
No. My requirements is that it be well made, and have a bit of personality.

*Do you think the choice of handbag says a lot about the person who carries it?
Yes

*Do you think some celebrities have very good taste in bags, if so who?
*Have you ever been inspired by a celeb to buy a bag? Or on the contrary, put off?

Answers to last two questions:

I base my choices on what works well for me, and not by who is carrying what. As for the celebrity- I think they do the same.

Nicole R bores me a bit, carrying the same sort of bag but in different colors. Anyone can do that (if you have the $$$). Its not very creative.

My. 02

i usually check out mags and online, plus tFS of course. sometimes i'll get a bag by a designer because i read about them somewhere. i also plan out what new bags i'm going to buy for the season...like f/w05 bags.

how much
are you willing to spend?
i've spent up to $1000, but not recently. it really depends on the quality, uniqueness and how much use i'll get out of it.

probably too often :innocent:

i go back and forth about having a big brand on my bag, i like bags that are unique, which is somewhat easy to do in san francisco. many people carry the same stuff here.

of course, it's just like your clothes...it's a reflection of your personality.

generally i don't look at celebs when i look for bags...it bugs me when celebs have like 20 of the same bag, like nicole ritchie or the hiltons. why do you need 20 balenciagas? it actually makes me not want to use mine...

So I just wanted to ask: how do you decide which bag to get, is publicity important?
Definitely of course! I always read fashion mags like Bazaar or websites like TFS or NAP which will indicate what are the "hottest" bags of the season. However it is publicity that will bring my attention to the bags, but that does not mean I will buy every bag, it has to appeal to my own taste first.

how much are you willing to spend?

0-2.5K

Waaaaaaayyy... too often :ninja:

It need not necessarily be branded, however it definitely must be representative of my style. I think it is a challenge to have a good mix of branded, vintage and budget(but still well-made!) bags in your collection, just so that you are constantly challenging your style to see what works and suits you. After all, I think it is just too easy to carry branded bags all the time.

Yes it does! At least for me.

Do you think some celebrities have very good taste in bags, if so who?
Nay....one word: stylists

Have you ever been inspired by a celeb to buy a bag? Or on the contrary, put off?
I feel that celebs are another form of publicity for bags. I wouldn't say I am inspired by them, but they are definitely another way to work a bag (which suits my style) further into my consciousness.
That said, I can't help but attach a certain level of tackiness to bags carried by celebs whom I dislike, e.g Tara Reid.

1. Is publicityimportant?
Somewhat … I like to keep my eyes and ears open on upcoming styles and trends by my favorite handbag designers (aka “buzz factor).

2. How much are you willing to spend?
So far, the most that I have spent on a single handbag was $1500.00

3. How often do you buy bags?

On average, I purchase handbags 3-4 times/year.

4. What does a bag say about you?
Since I am biased towards top-handled, structured leather handbags, my friends say I am a bit uptight … ha ha! Seriously, I love to buy handbags that will last a long time … timeless and classic handbags are what I invest in.

5. Is it important that it should be branded and recognizable?
No.

6. Do you think the choice of handbag says a lot about the person who carries it?
Definitely yes!

7. Do you think some celebrities have very good taste in bags, if so who? Also, have you ever been inspired by a celebrity to buy a bag?

I really do not pay too much attention to the handbags carried by celebrities.

Okay, more questions.
What percentage of your budget goes on handbags?
Have you always been into handbags or would you say that there is a lot more around these days to tempt us?
Handbags say a lot about people - more so than other accessories would you say?
Have you got any crazy stories about what lengths you went to, to get a handbag?
Know someone who's had to seek help - from their banker or their doctor?

My husband pays all the bills, so my paychecks are all to my using. I could use a whole months paycheck on a purse, or just a weeks. It all depends on what else I am buying at the time. At the moment my checks are going to saving for a car and bedroom set, so only a little of my money is going to purses. If something MUST HAVE comes up, my husband gives me a little bit of money from his checks, or we put off savings for a week-month. We never over buy more then what we can afford in a month or so.

Have you always been into handbags or would you say that there is a lot more around these days to tempt us?

I am 23. I started getting into purses and designers at about 19. My first real designer purse was not till 21, on my honeymoon to Paris. Prior, I would be given vintage purses here and there and not need much else. There is alot on the market now to tempt me, but only because I am concious of it now. There might have been alot out there 5 years ago too, but I wasn't watching.

Unfortunately, hangbags do say alot. I think that leaves people lazy with the rest of their waredrobe. I see girls with jeans and a T, but have a designer handbag, stopping there with their personal style. Comfort is great, but at least mix it up a little with some jewlery, makeup, etc. I try to balance out my look equally with clothes and purses. I spend about an equal amount on both areas.

Have you got any crazy stories about what lengths you went to, to get a handbag?

No great lengths, but I did buy one on ebay this week which was great lenghts for me since ebay is so risque.

Sorry, no! hehe.

1. What percentage of your budget goes on handbags?

Last year, my husband calculated that I spent 1% of our total income on handbags. This year, it will probably increase to 2% since I have already spent almost $3000 on two handbags.

2. Have you always been into handbags or would you say that there is a lot more around these days to tempt us?

I have always loved handbags! It wasn’t until a trip to Rome in 2001 when I started getting into high-end designer handbags.

3. Handbags say a lot about people - more so than other accessories would you say?

In my opinion, yes! My other friends would say shoes.

4. Have you got any crazy stories about what lengths you went to, to get a handbag?

If I am not first on a “wait list,” I tend not to purchase the handbag.

5. Know someone who's had to seek help - from their banker or their doctor?
No, but my husband tends to think otherwise.

How do you decide which bag to get, is publicity important? Yes because I don't do much shopping, so I look to magazines to find what I like. I prefer buying bags featured in UK magazines like British Vogue and Harpers & Queen because they are usually ahead of the trends in the US.

how much are you willing to spend? Up to $2000 usd. So far, the most I've spent on a bag is $1400.

How often do you buy bags? I make 1-2 major purchases a year. I try to limit buying inexpensive bags so I can splurge on something I love.

What does a bag say about you, is it important that it should be branded and recognizable? I prefer that my bag is unrecognizable. If I'm buying a logo bag, I make sure its in a style that is not popular. I would never buy a Gucci logo Jackie on an LV Speedy because they are immensly popular styles. I've purposely avoided buying Balenciaga because so many people have declared it a "hot" bag.

Do you think the choice of handbag says a lot about the person who carries it? No, some people care about handbags; some people care about shoes. I try not to judge based on what bag a person is or isn't carrying.

Do you think some celebrities have very good taste in bags, if so who? Have you ever been inspired by a celeb to buy a bag? Or on the contrary, put off? No I don't think celebrities have good taste in bags. Most of them have the IT bags in a multitude of colors...that's not very original or interesting. I do take note when a celeb is pictured carrying a bag I own because it increases the re-sale factor for me! In fact, I clip pictures of celebs carrying my bags and I store them in acid free paper in my sleeper bags. :blush:

What percentage of your budget goes on handbags? Probably 50% of my annual clothing budget is spent on bags.

Have you always been into handbags or would you say that there is a lot more around these days to tempt us? I've been into handbags since 1988 when I bought my first Gucci with my own money.

Handbags say a lot about people - more so than other accessories would you say? I think shoes are far more important than handbags and what they "say" about a person. Everyone appreciate a good, well made shoe. Shoes are sexy; handbags are not.

Have you got any crazy stories about what lengths you went to, to get a handbag? Know someone who's had to seek help - from their banker or their doctor? Other than harassing SAs and going back to stores every week asking "DID YOU GET IT?"....no, no crazy stories! I have heard of women calling up Hermes stores in other countries to get on the waiting list for Birkins though.

is publicity important?
Yes. It can be bad or good all depends on who carries what, over exposure, too many free bags to get the word out, hate that.

how much are you willing to spend? up to 1200

How often do you buy bags? one a year

I hope it says I have good taste in bags! brand not important, but I really only look at higher end because of quality.

hmm, I see lots of people who dont care what they carry, guess that is what it says about them.

I dont count the ones that get tons of freebies (Jessica Simpson), so besides the Audrey Hepburn and Carolyn Bessette, cant think of a one besides Kate Moss, does she get endless freebies?

Have you ever been inspired by a celeb to buy a bag? Or on the contrary, put off? Totally, if Jessica, Lindsay, Paris, or one of those types carries it, then I think twice. However, I seek out what Julia Roberts and Angelina carry because I find it interesting, no press on them and their bags!

no publicity... although.. sometimes the hyped up bags are very nice... often times they are TOO publicity-driven... sometimes i like a bag that no one else would have.

how much
The most I've spent is 400... but I'd go more if I had more :wink:

I spend the most money on bags... not as much on clothes

it is not important that it's a recognizable brand.. I like unique brands.. oftem people ask me where i got my bag... because they have no idea what it is.... sometimes i have to tell them that i made it myself... and then they dont believe me. :rolleyes:

It really depends... some women really don't give a crap about bags.... God forgive them :wink:

While I feel that everyone is going to say that Sienna Miller, Kate Moss... or even Jessica Simpson have great style in bags... I don't really think that Jessica Simpson is a fashion icon... she's sent so much crap.. and she piles it all together...

I dunno.. I guess my answer to the real question is not really... I buy what I like.

Unfortunately now a days with the celeb-machine bags and fashion say less about a person, and more about who they are copying. However, I think my bags do say a lot about my personal style.
I do think some celebs have nice bags, and because they get some stuff so early their candids are often the first place I see stuff, but I would never buy something just because a celeb had it.
I use to buy tons and tons and tons of bags, now I dont really. I would say they are still close to the most expensive things that I buy, so maybe 50% of my budget? Thats really just a figure I made up, I should go through my checkbook and reciets and really figure it out.
I think that today bags are becomming more important to everyone. It kind of sucks, because it use to be that you would see like one person with a kind of unique designer bag (like Balenciaga a couple years ago), and today everyone is using them.
Yes. Because not everyone is going to see your watch, or necklace or whatever, but your bag really becomes part of your outfit.
Not really. I did call every Barneys in America to track down my red Balenciaga Voyage, only to find out that the one that had been "sold" at my local store was actually just put away somewhere.
Nope, and I personally only buy stuff that I can pay cash for so it shouldnt be much of a problem for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read many foreign fashion magazines, usually there is one bag which will call my attention and stay in my mind.

how much? So far 600 euros. But I could go up if the bag was worth it and my economy would allow it

How often do you buy bags? Twice a year maximum. I look after them and grow attached to the ones I have.

What does a bag say about you, is it important that it should be branded and recognizable? No, it has to be beautiful and practical, the less recognisable the better, actually.

Definitely. More than probably any other accessory, including shoes.

Celebrities put me off buying certain bags. Some royalty inspires me.

1) how do you decide which bag to get, is publicity important?
I am always looking at American and foreign fashion magazines, that is my fashion 'pipeline' to what is out there and of course, TFS:wink:
2) how much are you willing to spend? Up to $1500USD so far.
3)How often do you buy bags? 3 to 7 per year.
4)What does a bag say about you, is it important that it should be branded and recognizable?
I hope it reflects good taste. don't like bags with logos plastered all over and it doesn't matter if its not recognized. I spend more money on handbags alone than clothing and shoes.
5)Do you think the choice of handbag says a lot about the person who carries it?
Yes, a good handbag is like having good teeth...if they're bad, you look bad.
6)Do you think some celebrities have very good taste in bags, if so who? Have you ever been inspired by a celeb to buy a bag? Or on the contrary, put off?
I don't care what celebrities have but if I happen to see a celebrity with the same bag as me, I don't mind...as long as she isn't Jessica, Lindsey, Paris,JLo, Mariah Carey, Carmen Electra, Lil Kim.

So far this year, 2% of my income. And why don't I own a house, you ask? Those little percents add up.

I go through phases of being obsessed or not, but I think there are more these days - or maybe it's just that they get more press now.

I think seeing what people feel the need to carry around with them is pretty revealing. But the handbag is not the first thing I notice about someone - I'll check out their hair and jewelry first.

Don't know if this qualifies...but I was in Paris and saw a great handmade bag, fabric & leather. One some, the fabric went up on one side and down on the other; on others, it went up on both sides. I liked the up ones better, but the only one they had left had already been sold to some other woman who was going to come back to pick it up. I convinced the sales person to give me that one and substitute an up/down one for the other woman. Presumably if she got upset she could wait til they could make more of the up/up ones...was my rationale anyway.

No. Just the occasional "look" from their husband...

how do you decide which bag to get, is publicity important? how much are you willing to spend?
--whichever bag i think looks nicest imo. publicity is def important so i know its out there. im willing to spend up to 2k (for now) it just depends on how much i want it and the quality.
--5 to 10 times a year, maybe more. this year so far i have gotten 2 chanels, 2 ysl, 1 ferragamo, and 1 lv =/
--i dont like my bags to be recognizable a lot of times but then again i dont wanna spend 2k on a purse and have someone mistaken it for a nine west or something lol!
--of course, how fashionable they are!
--i dont think mischa has "good taste" because most of her bags are only chanel, but she does have a great collection of chanel bags, lucky! nicole richie has good taste imo.
Have you ever been inspired by a celeb to buy a bag?
--not yet, or not that i know of.

--i dont have a "budget", just parents i guess?
--umm since sophomore (highschool) year, now im about to be a senior!
--to me yeah, im crazy about handbags (and clothes), but others have jewelry, shoes, etc.
--nope..? ive been to neimans 3 times this wk to check on my cerf though haha does that count? and its like 45 min away..
--nah uh, i probably will when im older haha. seeing now how i get really sad when i don't get a bag i want lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->