UN3D. SPRING COLLECTION Issue 01&02

unthreed

Refinery29 December 2016
'How To Do Boho Without Looking Like A Coachella Victim'
Ph: Eric T. White
Stylist: Jenny Hartman
Hair/makeup: Julia Joseph

By Connie Wang

There's a reason that boho style has been a fashion trend since way before Coachella became a summer institution. It projects a carefree and nostalgic worldview, where old things, honest experiences, and organic truths are most important...or at least, that's what it's supposed to do, anyway. The mall's version of "boho" has strayed a bit from that, and anyone who's ever flipped through a rack of $19.99 imitation-suede fringe vests that smell like nail polish with not-so-traditional seed-beading trim knows what I'm talking about.

Those who do boho in the less commercial way, though, aren't so much into mass-produced slouchy ankle boots and crocheted dresses. Just ask model Yuka Mannami, who in the past few months alone has covered i-D and Vogue Japan, and has fronted campaigns for Givenchy and Bottega Veneta. Her style is very much carefree and nostalgic — and mostly comes from thrift shops. But, Yuka doesn't consider herself boho: "I think [boho] is very 'American' and mainstream...I'm more Victorian and Edwardian. More vintage, if that's considered a style!" But when you consider her closet that's full of brown velvet, long-length floral dresses, cracked-leather shoes, and floaty blouses, there's enough evidence to make the claim that Mannami does the anti-Coachella version of boho. We break down what that means at Mannami's favorite NYC vintage store, Edith Machinist, below:

When you're buying vintage, what's your weakness?

I can't say no to a vintage dress. I do a lot of searching on eBay for them. Anything Victorian or Edwardian...any style that reminds me of a painting.

These kinds of boho printed dresses are everywhere in thrift stores. How do you like to wear them?

They are always so casual and comfortable so just by themselves is great. But I try to pair with loafers to make it look less girly and more cool. Also, I know how to sew, so I sometimes take in the waist a little. Otherwise, a belt can do a lot.

This outfit is kind of your signature, right?

Long maxi-dresses and choker necklaces are my thing. I could wear a different combination every day and not get tired! Also, I love brown — I know it's kind of an unpopular color to love, but I can't help myself.

Tell us about your necklace!

I got it in Paris! I love it so much because of that huge gem stone in it. It's almost like a good luck charm.

These kinds of modest-looking dresses in thrift stores can feel intimidating. How do you dress it up to look cool?

Mix them with unique items like metallic and lace pieces. Especially if something feels 'luxury' or like a designer piece. That pair-up usually makes both items look even cooler.

What's the secret to wearing brown well?

I think brown goes well with every color! Red, blue, green... mmI always try to mix brown with more vibrant colors, but sometimes, brown on brown can look great, too.

Do you think you're drawn to clothes that other people would normally pass over?

Yes, because most people think they look 'weird' and then turn away, but I like the challenge!

Tell me about that top! What do you like about it?

I don't usually wear a lot of color, but something about the combination of colors here was so cool to me. They work so well together!

What's the secret to mixing prints?

I try to keep all the prints in the same color family.

refinery29.com; sarahlaird.com; seemanagement.com

T STYLE MAGAZINE CHINA JUNE 2017
'Lost in Translation'
Ph: Jumbo Tsui
Stylist: Faye B
Hair: Tomoko Sato
Makeup: Yusuke Saeki

jumbophotographe.com

SPUR MAGAZINE JAPAN AUG. 2017
'It Girls in National Fashion Story Project #1'
Ph: Osamu Yokonami
Stylist: Yumeno Ogawa
Hair/makeup: Hiroko Ishikawa

'It Girls in National Fashion Story Project #2'
Ph: Ko-ta Shouji
Stylist: Satoko Takebushi
Hair/makeup: Rie Shiraishi

Yuka Mannami

Model. Born in Mie prefecture in 1991. Sign with Donna Models in July 2015.

Is there anything you are keen on?

Nintendo switch. I am playing "The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild", but I'm regrettable to clear and I turned back in just before the goal. When I wait for shooting, I will be talking to another model like "What are you doing, show me!" or "I want to do it as soon as I arrive home". If you notice it is only otaku friends.

What about the motive power and the inspiration source of expressing...

There are many jobs abroad, as well as NY, which was a new base. After all the words are different, so it is hard to take away what you want to do. But once the shooting starts, you can use the whole body desperately without changing in any place. Good against your move! I am happy to be told that it is important to be with myself anywhere.

What kind of fashion do you want to do this autumn?

Somehow, I am interested in Sai Hai (thigh-high) boots. It may be a challenge with mini length.
rakuten.co.jp; spur.hpplus.jp

HARPER'S BAZAAR KAZAKHSTAN JULY 2017
'Summer Station'
Ph: Kinya
Stylist: Anna Katsanis
Hair: Kenshin Asano
Makeup: Kajsa Svanberg

ateliermanagement.com

VOGUE JAPAN AUG. 2017
'Welcome to My Fantasy'
Ph: Tommy Ton
Stylist: Saori Masuda
Hair/makeup: Katsuya Kamo
Nails: Emi Sato

rakuten.co.jp

PEACEBIRD F/W 2017 CAMPAIGN
Photographer: Tyrone Lebon
Models: Sora Choi, Cong He, Fernanda Ly, Yuka Mannami, Chu Wong
Credits: rtvgames, peacebird's weibo account

ELLE CHINA JUNE 2017
'Cool Leather'
Ph: Jumbo Tsui
Stylist: Jin Jing
Hair: Go Utsugi
Makeup: Ken Nakano

PtXoJ8U.gif

instagram/jumbostsui; weibo.com

i love how she is always so physically involved in the shootings. Must also be a plus that she is so flexible!

SPUR MAGAZINE SEPT. 2017
'ONE PIECE 20th Anniversary Fashion Series'
Ph: Akinori Ito
Stylist: Satoko Takebuchi
Hair: Takuya Baba
Makeup: Tomohiro Muramatsu

instagram/spurmagazine; spur.hpplus.jp

She's adorable, straight out from a manga

VOGUE JAPAN 'FNO' 2017
Ph: Takanori Okuwaki

rakuten/co.jp

WWD Japan September 2017 Advertorial