Zac Posen: The Trials of a Former Boy Wonder

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by MissMagAddict, Feb 3, 2010.

1. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict Well-Known Member

The New York Time | February 3, 2010 | by Eric Wilson

[​IMG]

Slide Show: Zac Posen's Journey

source | nytimes.com

2. Crimson C.C

Crimson C.C New Member

Interesting.

3. lucy92

lucy92 Mod Squad Team Leader

i like that anecdote about him standing up to glenda bailey.

honestly, i would not have noticed the fact that he may resemble the Count.

i'm sure his target line will do well, but not sure at all about Z Spoke.

Best of luck to him however.

4. Manuva

Manuva congratulations, nerds.

Thank you for posting this MMA. I've never really understood much of Zac's appeal or where his place in modern day fashion is.

5. reese06

reese06 Well-Known Member

I'm really bothered by the line, "as a non-advertiser....". Not that it's new to me or anything, but to see it said so blatantly just kind of highlights a part of the industry that I don't like.

6. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Complaining about being asked to stand beside the Count is better advertising than doing it.

7. ponytrot

ponytrot New Member

His clothing has been so mediocre for ages, that I think he really does have an inflated sense of his own talent and ego :innocent:

8. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

zac posen is petulance embodied. i pray he makes it because young fashion boys the world over need his example, but with behavior like this, his peers -- proenza schouler, rodarte, phillip lim, jason wu, et al -- my outlast him. especially if they get named to an iconic european house as creative director.

9. reese06

If by behavior you mean saying No. I have to disagree. I think it's noble of him to stand up to the editor who won't feature his clothing but will feature his likeness. And now he's getting more press because he's reaching people who don't read Bazaar. This story has been on many fashion and non-fashion blogs. So it might have been a better move on his part.

10. mikeijames

do you know how many unknown/insider brands would kill to get into a harpers bazaar editorial of any stripe?! it's like saying no to dressing a b-list star for the oscars...

11. thesiren

thesiren New Member

i agree that his attitude isn't the best, but zac has carved out a very good place for himself in the world of fashion. unlike the designers you named (well, the majority), zac creates wearable pieces for real women. this is what's kept donna karan in business and will always supercede the rodartes of the fashion world when it comes to staying in business.

12. reese06

He's not unknown and like I said he's reaching far more NEW customers than he would have, had he agreed to be in the magazine.

13. mikeijames

i suppose we'll have to wait and see if this holds true. in an environment when houses like phi, yohji yamamoto, luella, escada, and others are going under, i don't think it's time for ANY design house to rest on its laurels and put forward this kind of prideful stance. LOTS of designers create wearable pieces for real women....and many at a lower pricepoint. let's not forget: donna karan floats along with the sales of dkny, fragrance, and other things. also, in the world of eating crow, all of these big name designers had to pose with their competitors -- including the likes of kimora lee simmons -- in an editorial.

14. mikeijames

i suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. it's baffling to me how posing with a sesame street character injures his brand image more than doing a line for target does.

15. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a good analogy. At least dressing a b-list star for the Oscars is more dignified than having your clothes in Harper's Bazaar simply because you happen to resemble a character from Sesame Street.

The star on the red carpet is showcasing your design because she (or her stylist) hand picked your creation (or in the case of Marchesa, your husband happens to be very "influential" :innocent:) over the countless other options that she can choose from. Harper's Bazaar isn't doing the same thing - there is absolutely no respect for the designer's work in this case. And good luck having your designs taken seriously when they're cast alongside puppets.

16. mikeijames

^we can argue about the merits of the editorial another time, i just think it's foolish to burn a bridge this way. i've seen editorials featuring designers in all sorts of crazy scenarios -- we're talking about the fashion industry here not nuclear physics or brain science.

also, if celebrity dressing only involved celebrities -- or their stylists -- choosing beautiful designs, i'd agree, but it's as political as anything else. that's why if a design house can finagle a star into one of their designs, it's quite a feat.

17. mdankwah

mdankwah New Member

This article shows how humility is needed in most creative fields but particularly fashion. I sincerely hope he learns from his mistakes