Zoltan - Illustrator & Photographer

Estella*

a dim capacity for wings
Reaction score
i was not able to find any images online apart from the one that was featured on www.designerhistory.com from where i also got his biography:

[font=arial,helvetica]Zoltan was born in Hungary in 1957. After finishing school in 1975, he worked for a fashion magazine in Budapest for 3 years. He also worked as a freelance photographer for theatres and exhibitions. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica]In 1979, he left Hungary and was granted political asylum in Britain. He attended a fashion/business studies B.A. course at the American College in London, and in 1981 started working as a freelance illustrator.

His portfolio of drawings of bizarre, dream-like figures, a Wagnerian or Fellini-esque pageant of eccentric and disturbing characters, took London's fashion editors by surprise and won Zoltan his first commission from Vogue in 1982, which was followed by regular pages and portraits.

He has traveled frequently to New York, working for the New York Times, American Vogue and Interview. He also goes to Paris where he works for Liberation and Femme and to Milan where he contributes to Vogue Italia and Donna.

He has visited Japan, collaborating extensively with Issey Miyake and has participated in exhibitions there for Shiseido and Mitsukoshi. In Britain he has executed advertising campaigns for Young and Rubicam and J. Walter Thompson and has participated in exhibitions at the British Council. In France he has exhibited at the Musee des Art Decoratifs, Palais de Chaillot and the Palais de Louvre.

In 1989, Zoltan moved to Paris. In 1991 he worked with Harpers Bazaar on photography projects. He has produced striking images for Yves St. Laurent, Christian Lacroix, Azzedine Alaia and Christian Dior.

In 1993, he directed his first film.

He is one of today's most original fashion illustrators, combining his drawings with fabrics, flowers, gems and organic and inorganic materials, to create striking 3-dimensional montages. The allure of the blood-tipped vamp is his disquieting vision. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica]Hungarian-born Zoltan's exquisite series of 3-dimensional photo-drawing montages for the esoteric Japanese designer Issey Miyake are an outstanding example of where an illustrator can assert a designer's image with greater freedom than within the technical confines of photography.[/font]​
[font=arial,helvetica][/font]

if anyone could find more zoltan illustrations, i'd be very grateful:heart:

illzoltansketch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, the clients list looks like it:ninja:

very confusing...
but then there's music, film etc. and from the article on designerhistory i got the impression he was 'only' an illustrator:unsure:

keep me updated if you find an image^_^

ah, that guy seems to be trully misterious... i didn't succeed finding any single info/image /anything anywhere. *keeps searching B)*

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: thank you mirrra, maybe one day we'll succeed *detective smilie*

little is better than nothing:smile: found at zoltanplus.com
DRAWINGw.jpg
:flower:

Attachments

• zoltan1.gif
    zoltan1.gif
    48.7 KB · Views: 5
A few words from the elusive Zoltan himself--from Fashion Illustration by Colin Barnes: (book was published in 1988)

zoltan-3.jpg

Attachments

• zoltan-text.jpg
    zoltan-text.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
thanks so much nr9dream, i saw this just now, you're an angel!
i really like these, there's something of old 'grandezza' to his style and yet one can sense modern techniques as the ones he speaks of.
thanks for posting the text, too, it's very interesting.

:heart:

You’re most welcome Anna:flower:

It’s funny, when I compared his illustrations to the other work in the 80's book I scanned them from many seemed very dated (not necessarily bad for fashion illustrations of course) but there is something about his work that conferred a more classic timeless quality…I couldn’t really explain it but I think you’ve nailed it with your description above ^ ^

Perhaps you can sense the 'theatrical' Zoltan influence in contemporary illustrators such as Richard Gray…

19 years later.... :lol:

Harper's Bazaar April 1991
"Lavish Gestures"
Photographer: Zoltan
Model: Unknown

HB Archive

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pablosoto