The Brunette Hair Thread

got a haircut today! :D i'm so happy with it.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20111102_7.jpg
    Snapshot_20111102_7.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2
^^ Looks great :flower:! You look a bit like Leighton Meester ^_^.

I was going lighter but everytime I would visit my hairdresser I would leave with the exact opposite of what I wanted. I guess my hair just won't go lighter without pulling red :(. Anyways so I'm going to go back to dark brown - almost black. Want to achieve this type of look.

sfgirlbybay.com

Does anybody know how to give long hair some volume? Mabye a nice volumizing mousse or something else?

I've straight long hair and sometimes it looks so boring.

^ So do I.

What I do, is after I shower, I flip my hair, blow-dry it upside down and I brush through it as minimally as possible.

Any tips for darkening brown hair without dye? I've used Brilliant Brunette before, but all it did was make my hair lighter and more highlighted. I'm a medium brunette, but I'd love to add more depth for Fall and Winter, but I'm trying to repair my hair after major damage, so dying it is out.

I went from this,
6335127565_960e743b77_z.jpg

to this in September, and I got so frustrated because the hairdresser didn´t get what I wanted at all. I never said I wanted to go blond, I just wanted a few more highlights so my roots didn´t show up that much. She also cutted it weird, not going back there again.
6335883958_3c2eccb5c6_z.jpg

So a few weeks ago I coloured it myself and I´m so happy! So now I just need to get the length that I had again and everything will be fine, even though I like the length right now.
6335884014_7474a9e1a3_z.jpg

I have to say I loooove your hair colour in the first picture, the length is also great. Your hair looks so full and soft.
The colour and cut now is also really pretty! But I agree you shouldn't go back to the blonde, you look much better as a brunette.

Thank you! And yes, I totally agree. I already knew that blond hair didn't suit me so that was a fail. I think I'll get highlights again like I had before the next time I'm going to the hairdresser, and my hair grows fast so hopefully my hair will get back to how it looked like in the summer soon :smile:

Any tips for darkening brown hair without dye? I've used Brilliant Brunette before, but all it did was make my hair lighter and more highlighted. I'm a medium brunette, but I'd love to add more depth for Fall and Winter, but I'm trying to repair my hair after major damage, so dying it is out.

Aveda's Black Malva shampoo will darken it a bit. The reviews are mixed but everyone's hair is different. I used their Madder Root shampoo when I wanted a more reddish/auburn color and it was pretty good. Just keep the receipt in case you wish to return. :wink:

Does anybody know how to give long hair some volume? Mabye a nice volumizing mousse or something else?

I've straight long hair and sometimes it looks so boring.

Have you tried dry shampoo? My hair is flat as anything and that helps a lot!

How would you guys describe this colour? And how would one go from dark brown to this...?

kalathma.blogspot.com

Ok, so right now I am a full on brunette, lol.

It took me a lot of time to achieve that colour (I've dyed my hair light blonde before) but I really enjoy being brunette. Hair looks much healthier and shiner. (dyed by Matrix SoColor)

Attachments

• sylwester13.jpg
    sylwester13.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 8
What hairstyle do you more like? Lately I keep it natural, without using any kind of products. And yes it is my natural colour. I don't like fake.
my hair when I chi silk fusion and Chi hair straightener:
9794555816pvwz4.jpg

My natural hair when I not use any products:
19768422462911091291710.jpg

that looks like a caramel to me or a dark ash blonde. to get this color from dark brown, you'd probably have to go through 2 lightening processes with bleach, then add highlights and finally tone with an ash blonde.

How would you guys describe this colour? And how would one go from dark brown to this...?

kalathma.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Party Vixen, my current hair color is a bit darker that what you wish for. But I went from a dark brown directly to this color in one go. My hairdresser did something to draw out my previous color, it's wasn't bleach but some kind of special technique which i can't remember the name off. Afterwards she used 3 different types of highlight color. I think one of them was bleach and the other two were light brownish, in warm nuances. Though I think the best advice is to go and talk to your hairdresser about it.

It might be a little bit difficult to see the color in this pic, but I think you get the idea. It was taken about 4 month after it had been dyed, hence the darker roots.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    465.2 KB · Views: 13
^ Oh your hair colour is beautiful. I actually like it a bit darker like yours.

And thank you both for your help. I've tried to go this colour before but my hairdresser can never get it right - and I make sure to bring pictures in every time!

I'm not looking to do this right now but for the summer I would love to try and get this colour again. Will probably have to go to a new hairdresser :ninja:.

sounds like your hairdresser needs to understand the light shade you want and the tone as well. not everyone can do it, (meaning hairdressers)....i'd look for a color expert. good luck!

^ Party_Vixen, on my monitor it looks more caramel than ash. It's too warm to be ash, but that could be a monitor issue.

ITA, but generally if your hair is dark brown, when you bleach it, it'll be a brassy color, due to going up so many levels. so to counteract the brassy tones, you have to apply an ash toner to get it to a caramel tone.

i've done it before. if you're going to do it at home, i think loreal makes the best non-brassy dye for it...the les true brunettes line...
http://www.drugstore.com/loreal-preference-les-true-brunettes-ultra-light-ash-brown-ul-61/qxp178674

here's a nice blog post showing before and after:
http://yumikomura.blogspot.com/2011/04/loreal-les-true-brunettes-ul61-ultra.html

http://www.ekiblog.com/2010/10/loreal-preference-true-brunettes-hair.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->