Can stirrup pants be far behind ?

good spotting jen...

i think thats the ONLY time ive seen it work..

and she might as well be wearing leggings / tights that reach her ankles, no?..
i'm just reluctant to admit that these stirrup pants serve a purpose...
although i guess soft has a point about them being potentially more flattering because they dont hug every little spot on your leg as much..
but if you're that concerned about your legs, why not just wear a fitted pant instead of leggings / stirrup pants?

Oh no! Oh, no no no! Most of you girls don't remember stirrups and how they would bow out at the knee after several wearings, such that it looked like you were wearing clown pants.

exactly! too ugly.

My mum used to have a pair back then, she wore them with boots and a long trench coat. I thought she looked fabulous and I used to secretly take them from her wardrobe to wear them at school. Good god, I was in 4th grade, I must have looked awful. What a fashion vicitm :lol:

I don't know about stir-up pants. The material's usually just like leggings and I'm not a fan of leggings without pants. I own a pair of stirrup tights though. Paired with nice shoes and the right clothes, they don't look too retro/outdated at all. They look nice. Just like here:

00090m.jpg
00150m.jpg
00500m.jpg
00420m.jpg

style.com (marni)

they are all over the runaway and occasionally on the red carpet already, so i say get ready for them :ninja:

That's one of the few trends that I can't see being translated into real life very well. I mean, it all depends on aesthetics, but i don't see the appeal of broad shoulders...:innocent:

oooopppppssssssss

I have already worn them, american apparal sells them... I did not even know I was wearing it as a trend, just thought it was interesting........................

good spotting jen...

i think thats the ONLY time ive seen it work..

and she might as well be wearing leggings / tights that reach her ankles, no?..
i'm just reluctant to admit that these stirrup pants serve a purpose...
although i guess soft has a point about them being potentially more flattering because they dont hug every little spot on your leg as much..
but if you're that concerned about your legs, why not just wear a fitted pant instead of leggings / stirrup pants?
:lol: I think the stirrup pants give her an edge though. Everyone will admire not only her outfit in general, but her ability to make stirrup pants look fabulous, of all things. Unless you're trying to avoid that... :P

Or you just think they're hideous in- or out-of-context, which is understandable. I personally don't mind them, but I do remember finding them uncomfortable as a child, when the 80s wave of stirrup pants was still dying down. They kind of require constant hoisting and adjusting of the stirrup... Which is probably another good reason to eschew them. Except I didn't, and won't :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for those pics..:flower:

those stirrup leggings def seem like a modern interpretation ...
sort of a hybrid of the legging and the stirrup...
which is at least something NEW!!..

and hello deisigners and manufacturers!
some of us would like to see NEW stuff you know..
:lol:...
this constant recycling of old trends is a bit tiresome sometimes...
i mean...it's fine with some things and sure, it can be funny...
but it gets a bit redundant...

i think i saw someone in some high top white reeboks yesterday....*sigh*...
so the 80's cycle is now complete ...
:rolleyes:...

]* i bet we are going to see something in Lucky magazine on 'how to wear stirrup pants correctly'...

Not going to happen.

The look is suck a self-conscious 80s revival that the stirrup is the whole point of the look. 90% of everyone who's going to buy into this trend is doing it because they want to be "ironic," so there is no point in doing a stirrup and hiding it. So whatever rules there were the first time will not be coming back.

If it gets really trendy and goes beyond the hipster crowd and into the junior high crowd, same thing. They're doing it to be part of a trend, so they are not going to cover it up.

They can look good. adorefaith posted this in another thread and I think the subject looks lovely:

I like it. From the front it looks really cozy, like she has long leggings pulled down over her heels. I want to see a picture from he back, though.

i think the marni version is great. it is ok as long as the pants hug the leg as closely as leggings--- instead of flaring out under the knee and around the ankle. what i hated about the 80s were the cheap stirrups

over past few months i have noticed this slowly creap inot main stream high street, now its every were .. every hihg street clothes shop is showing its version of the strup leggings. Also as well strup trousers .. and strup jeans seem to be the new thing as well.

I bought some strup skinny jeans the other day .. im yet to figure out what to wear them with .. any ideas ?? i might just return them yet tho i dunno

Not going to happen.

The look is suck a self-conscious 80s revival that the stirrup is the whole point of the look. 90% of everyone who's going to buy into this trend is doing it because they want to be "ironic," so there is no point in doing a stirrup and hiding it. So whatever rules there were the first time will not be coming back.

If it gets really trendy and goes beyond the hipster crowd and into the junior high crowd, same thing. They're doing it to be part of a trend, so they are not going to cover it up.
yeah, i agree.

stirrups used to have a purpose (helping pants/leggings stay tucked into boots etc) but now people will wear it just for the looks and to be part of a trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->