TOP 10 Supermodels

oh please -- Kate Moss is UNarguably a true SUPERMODEL. no "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it. she changed the face of fashion, is truly a household name, still makes millions and millions in contracts. she's one of the most SUPER of the Supermodels (and i'm not even that much of a fan).

Gemma is nowhere near being a household name. she simply isn't famous enough to be considered a supermodel. sure, she may have all the rest of the attributes; successful high fashion career, loads of contracts, etc etc. but she has little-to-no commercial viability, and the ability to relate commercially to people in all the developed nations is truly the mark of a Supermodel. it has to be INTERNATIONAL.

Heidi, Tyra, Laetitia, Rebecca Romijn --- these girls have acquired fame by means of pure commercial marketability. just because they weren't gracing the pages of Vogue or W or Harper's each month doesn't make them any less well-known, and if ever any of them are ever mentioned in the press, their names are prefixed by "Supermodel..." or "Former Supermodel..." OR they've used their fame as a model to transition to some other form of work in the entertainment world, and their adjective might be "Actress" or "Producer", "Talk-show host", (*or all of the above RE: Tyra*). they are definitely SUPERMODELS, though they've moved beyond that. Heidi and Tyra took the commercial side of the Cindy Crawford formula and made major major careers out of it. Would people consider Elle MacPherson to be a Supermodel? OF COURSE. was she ever successful in the world of High Fashion? NO.

point is: a Supermodel is really only a model who has become FAMOUS internationally. someone whom your parents or little brother knows their name. that's why Gemma is not one and Kate is.

Don't forget that the days of the 'true' supermodel are somewhat over. It only takes one viewing of George Michael's 'Freedom' to be reminded of that...I think the industry has curbed model's power a little.

(God that video is sexy, here's a link for those who need reminding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRAwzcQrpE)

So back to my original point - if you ask anybody with a radio, television or access to magazines who Kate Moss is and they're under the age of 60 then they'll most likely know.

I can guarantee you that's not true. But then again, I can guarantee you there are millions of people who don't know (or care) who Queen Elizabeth is.

I can guarantee you that's not true. But then again, I can guarantee you there are millions of people who don't know (or care) who Queen Elizabeth is.

Of course it's somewhat of a generalisation but the phrase is used as a benchmark. If I say "Nobody knows who SweetBlanket are!" then, of course the majority of the population won't know but there are some people who do. :innocent:

:shock::shock: are u serious? there are millions and millions of people who have not been under some kind of rock for the past decade but they don't have idea about who Kate Moss is, Iran, Irak, Africa,latin american and a lot of other countries have their own culture. why should they know her? :blink:

There's millions of poor people dying of inanition in Africa and Latinamerica.... etc, etc it's very immature to say thet every person in the world knows Kate Moss, whatta superficial thing to say. I'm impressed. :huh:

Exactly, those people are under that rock that I addressed, since they do not own tv's, radios, internet whatever. They don't know who Naomi and Linda are either, so.....It's the mainstream that hasn't been under that rock, right :wink:

Exactly, those people are under that rock that I addressed, since they do not own tv's, radios, internet whatever. They don't know who Naomi and Linda are either, so.....It's the mainstream that hasn't been under that rock, right :wink:

if you read well I wrote "a lot of other countries have have their own culture", including people with TV, radio ..... they are simply don't interested in ugliness.

and well, the real Supermodels were so mainstream that even today in Latin America they still think Cindy and Claudia are the Supermodels.

example, here in Mexico Cindy Crawford visits Mexico every year and she's considered "THE SUPERMODEL", Claudia was also here months ago, Naomi the last year and it's the same in Chile, in Colombia, in Argentina......

they don't have idea about who Kate Moss is, she's irrelevant and unnecessary 'cause latin women don't feel identified with her, here women are interested in womanly stars like Jennifer Lopez and co.

Kate Moss = UK, period.

I guarantee that too :lol: karma for Echoes :flower:

Yes, and if you read my post well and didn't quote it out of context (bolding and enlarging) you would've seen that I said that people that haven't been under a rock knew her. The fact that you brought up dying people in Africa to me is more immature than me stating that the mainstream world knows her. Kate Moss is not UK...Europe, USA, Australia and Western oriented Asia knows her just as they know Naomi or Cindy.
Aside from that, Kate is not irrelevant...she changed the face of fashion just as Linda and co did. I think it's quite ignorant to say that she didn't and that she is not a supermodel.

Yes, and if you read my post well and didn't quote it out of context (bolding and enlarging) you would've seen that I said that people that haven't been under a rock knew her. The fact that you brought up dying people in Africa to me is more immature than me stating that the mainstream world knows her. Kate Moss is not UK...Europe, USA, Australia and Western oriented Asia knows her just as they know Naomi or Cindy.
Aside from that, Kate is not irrelevant...she changed the face of fashion just as Linda and co did. I think it's quite ignorant to say that she didn't and that she is not a supermodel.

that's your opinion, not mine, sorry B)

If that is so why did you feel the need to call me immature and superficial while I was stating my opinion just as well?

But still, denying her status is like denying Linda and co's status and I don't think that this is arguable at all. Liking her or not is a whole nother discussion and I feel that you are leaning towards that discussion.

You have the right to disagree. In fact, it's interesting to hear the different opinions and the reasons behind them.

But please remember ... be nice to each other ... no name calling. :flower:

we are on the wrong track...

the word SUPERMODEL describes a decade where models were larger than life.
that's why it is wrong to call twiggy or gia a supermodel. the term was used after their careeres ended.
we are talking about girls who took over the world, who made brands out of their names.
the last supermodel is Kate Moss
the best are The Trinity
the rest cindy,claudia,nadia,helena,karen,tatiana

and there is no more...

sure u can hear that some girls like Doutzen or Gisele or Natalia Vodianova are called supermodels, but that era is gone... today it just means that Doutzen or Adriana are getting more money than others.

there were more girls in the 90's who were famous, like Heidi,Pestova or Emma s. , but they cannot be called supermodels. the real supermodels worked every show,with every magazine,designer....they were trendsetters, bad girls, they were powerfull, they were just everywhere. in the news, in papers, at hottest clubs, dated hottest celebs, they were just EVERYWHERE!!!!

so,it all goes down to a few girls who were at the right place at the right time, but that time is long gone.

^even for todays standards i wouldnt call doutzen a supermodel..

theres many others who have done way more than her in the past few years

the word SUPERMODEL describes a decade where models were larger than life.
that's why it is wrong to call twiggy or gia a supermodel. the term was used after their careeres ended.
we are talking about girls who took over the world, who made brands out of their names.
the best are The Trinity
the rest cindy,claudia,nadia,helena,karen,tatiana

and there is no more...

sure u can hear that some girls like Doutzen or Gisele or Natalia Vodianova are called supermodels, but that era is gone... today it just means that Doutzen or Adriana are getting more money than others.

there were more girls in the 90's who were famous, like Heidi,Pestova or Emma s. , but they cannot be called supermodels. the real supermodels worked every show,with every magazine,designer....they were trendsetters, bad girls, they were powerfull, they were just everywhere. in the news, in papers, at hottest clubs, dated hottest celebs, they were just EVERYWHERE!!!!

so,it all goes down to a few girls who were at the right place at the right time, but that time is long gone.

Well said, great points....

^even for todays standards i wouldnt call doutzen a supermodel..

theres many others who have done way more than her in the past few years

that is not the point... she just crossed my mind...pic any of todays topmodels, it will stay the same.:flower:

it's pretty well known in the industry that the last Supermodel is Gisele Bundchen, whose career is bigger and more versatile than Kate Moss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seltzeess
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->