70's Punk Rock

rollagasper

Reaction score
Who are everyboday's favourite 70s punk bands? Who should receive more recognition? Who were overrated? Who are your heroes? Any memorable annecdotes? Yes, a very open-ended thread.

I've been very fascinated with the 70s punk scene (mainly new york's) for a while, especially after reading "please kill me" (oral history book).
I recently read in my history text book at school, that "punk rock originated in the 70s in England." This annoyed me, because punk was DEFINITELY NOT from England. Its roots lie in New York. Punk wasn't even a word to descibe music, but individuals.

My favouite from the 70s is by far Television (well, and Patti Smith).Television was way ahead of their times, one of the few artistic geniuses of their time.

Also, Television was the first band to play a CBGBs. If it wasn't for them convincing Hilly Crystal (is that his name, the manager?) to let them play music there, CBGB would probably be unknown today.

I love that book (Please Kill Me)!

It really made me respect the New York Dolls and Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers more. I think JT and the H are underrated, mostly as a result of the botched pressing of LAMF. The new digitally remastered version kills.

I have always loved Patti Smith, Television, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, the Ramones and Iggy.

I do love the Sex Pistols, The Clash, and a host of other UK bands, but I agree, they were all copying Johnny Thunders and Richard Hell.

I have got to put in a word for my local San Francisco punk idols, the Avengers, the Dils, the Mutants and the Dead Kennedys.

I could go on and on... :wink:

Iggy Pop/The Stooges, definitely. Do the Misfits count? Love them.
The Ramones, The Clash.
I don't listen to much punk these days.

The Misfits
The Stooges
New York Dolls
Dead Boys
Patti Smith
The Fleshtones

tangerine said:
I have always loved Patti Smith, Television, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, the Ramones and Iggy.

I do love the Sex Pistols, The Clash, and a host of other UK bands, but I agree, they were all copying Johnny Thunders and Richard Hell.

I have got to put in a word for my local San Francisco punk idols, the Avengers, the Dils, the Mutants and the Dead Kennedys.

Richard Hell is such a cool guy. Too bad he's virtually unknown today... sort of become a cult legend.

And i should really check out some of the late 70s bands from other cities.

There are so many bands I love but the ones that come to mind are the ramones, the damned, new york dolls, johnny thunders, the heartbreakers, sex pistols, the clash, buzzcocks, the adicts, dead kennedys, iggy pop and a lot more @_@

sex pistols, the clash, the damned, dead kennedys, richard hell & the voidoids, velvet underground, mad sin, new york dolls, siouxie & the banshees, the slits, x-ray spex, the adicts, the casualties, the plasmatics, cockney rejects, sham 69, crass, tom tom club, toy dolls, UK subs, wire, the vandals, the stranglers,
can't think of much more, I'm listening more to indie these days..:P

I love the 70's and I love punk rock!!
there are many bands, but my favourite is Stiff Little Fingers!!!

I love also: UK Subs - The clash - Dead Kennedy's - the New York Dolls - Sham 69 - The Ramones - Black Flag - GBH - the Misfits (old stuff) - the Velvet Underground...

and from the French Punk scene (though you probably have never heard about them) Bérurier Noir - Trust - les sales majestés - les rats - Evil Skins...

Who are everyboday's favourite 70s punk bands? Who should receive more recognition? Who were overrated? Who are your heroes? Any memorable annecdotes? Yes, a very open-ended thread.
though I like them, I think the Sex Pistols are overrated.. I hear a lot of people say that them and Sid Vicious are the symbols of punk and that they are the first punk band..which is totally false!

though I like them, I think the Sex Pistols are overrated.. I hear a lot of people say that them and Sid Vicious are the symbols of punk and that they are the first punk band..which is totally false!

Oh, i completely agree. The pistols, especially Sid, was all about image than anything music. They did not invent the punk sound, nor the punk attitude. They stole a lot of ideas from the new york bands, and their image was purely based on Richard Hell, exaggerated 10x.

I love Sex Pistols, but I think Sid is far far too overrated! He hardly did anything for the band and yet he is a "punk icon"!?! puh-lease
I've just started reading "Please Kill Me" and I really like it. My favourite punk bands are The Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols and Buzzcocks, but I also really like The Stooges, Television and MC5. And Velvet Underground if they count.

Very true and I quote Johnny Rotten who has referred to Sid as "little more than a coat hanger" its been said that at times he was so inebriated that he was propped up by his amp while someone in the background behind the curtain would play his bass lines.
Twill Bill said:
I love Sex Pistols, but I think Sid is far far too overrated! He hardly did anything for the band and yet he is a "punk icon"!?!

Rebel Yell said:
sex pistols, the clash, the damned, dead kennedys, richard hell & the voidoids, velvet underground, mad sin, new york dolls, siouxie & the banshees, the slits, x-ray spex, the adicts, the casualties, the plasmatics, cockney rejects, sham 69, crass, tom tom club, toy dolls, UK subs, wire, the vandals, the stranglers,
can't think of much more, I'm listening more to indie these days..:P

OMG I could have written this post myself!!:o:woot: Just adding Generation X...:heart:

And there is also another thread on Punk music where much of the topics are already talked about:flower:

yep!! that's a nice list rebel yell!!

I made a search but I didn't find the other thread...

I love The Clash, Suicide, The Damned, lots of those bands but my absolute faves are definitely The Slits..when they were good they were amazing, and when they were bad they really, really sucked :smile:

that's because I made the search in the art of noise section..:D

thank you skinny_boho !

I decided to scan all the photos from Please Kill Me because I was bored:
is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

I don't know how to improve the quality with photoshop, so sorry that they are kinda grainy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->