A Career as a Fashion Designer. Is a Degree from a Fashion School Necessary?

dashphire said:
I thought of that, but then I need extra money to employ them...

I also thought of maybe try to meet someone who's excellent in patternmaking and then try to launch a label together.

*sigh*
It's a great idea but you will have to find someone who is willing to work with you, letting you have the spotlight as the "creative" one while they will be the "technical" one. It will be challenging not to let that relationship become an ego-fest. Few people who go into fashion question their artistic ablities, so a good pattern drafter knows their worth in this industry. They can make or break the garment- and know that.

I took one semester of fashion design ages ago, and my teacher essentially dissed everyone as being "disposable" except the pattern drafters. She insisted sample makers were plentiful, and designers were her favourite to bash- "pretty" fronts for the business, whose biggest responsibility was to have lunch and do the fake "kiss-kiss" across important people's cheeks. Those were her words, not mine-please remember that in a reply!!!
And, for the record, my sewing teachers said that about designers and pattern drafters; and my art teachers said that about the workroom staff. Bitter teachers, huh?

Pattern drafting was not as difficult (speaking as someone who mastered drafting a skirt-keep that in mind) as many people make it out to be. There is no reason you should not take one basic course and see if it is something you can grasp yourself. Even if pattern drafting is not your thing, you will need the basic knowledge to evaluate someone else's work before hiring/working with them. Check your local community centre for cheap/free classes.

I definately have a brief knowledge of patternmaking... I can most probably draft my own skirt add some flounce, my own bodice and stuff.

I also took one semester of fashion design.

In terms of having a partner, I'm definitely willing to share the spotlight with the "technical one", it's not like all the creative part will be from me and all the technical will be the his/hers, we'll share it, but focus on our stronger points.

as of now, I just called a bunch of stylists to offer free assistance, and I also called vancouver fashion magazine and I'm inquiring about stylists or costume designers in the film industry just to gain some "real" experience.

I mean vancouver is considered North Hollywood, 2nd largest film production next to L.A. so if I'm going to venture in that area, there's lots of opportunities.

This fashion life is going to be a wild adventure.
and a very very tiring one. Thank god for my caffeine pills, lolz

Self Fashion Training step-by-step

I have been a student of fashion for some time and I keep a very detailed journal of everything I learn, for myself. I have or am learning everything from RTW to couture pattern making, sewing, drawing, design, etc etc through a variety of avenues (on my own, private mentorships, college classes, etc). I have essentially designed my own educational program because I could not find anything locally that I felt was adequate and can not currently afford to go overseas.

I'm wondering if there would be interest in me creating an online journal and posting each and every day what I do?

This would not be a fashion blog, infact there would be very little, if any, personal bits of info in it. Rather it would be like an on-going course syllabus and could provide a guideline for others who wish to learn but do not know where to start and what order to do things in. (obviously there are many orders you can do things in but this would be one) There would not be detailed instruction, just a listing of what I learned that day for anyone that wanted to follow along and develope their own self-learning course.

I know how much the mods on here hate new threads but I really did not think this should go in the fashion blog thread as it has nothing to do with fashion trends and will not be a blog but rather a log of daily activities. If I start this website I will follow the rules and post there one time but before I go through all the effort of typing up my training log (from a paper journal to the computer) I wanted to gauge the interest. I wouldn't be doing this for any form of personal gain as I already keep a copy of this info for myself in a hand written journal, so I'm only going to do it if there is interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be very interested, rockitgirl :cool:
Will be spreading the word out ..

I have my own thing I'm learning now
but it will be nice to see how others are doing it
and get different insights

I'd love to check this out too!!
It's always a good thing to see and read what other people are doing. Even for students who might be in the same course some where else... because each school does things differently. What is the title of your course?

I'd love to check this out too!!
It's always a good thing to see and read what other people are doing. Even for students who might be in the same course some where else... because each school does things differently. What is the title of your course?

I'm not taking a specific program, like I said I'm learning via several different avenues including on my own, taking a couple college courses, and mentoring privately.

I'm not taking a specific program, like I said I'm learning via several different avenues including on my own, taking a couple college courses, and mentoring privately.

Oh yes sorry :lol:
I meant which are the college courses/classes...

Oh yes sorry :lol:
I meant which are the college courses/classes...

I'm taking fashion drawing, adobe illustrator for fashion, and industrial sewing as these are things I can not learn on my own. The industrial sewing as I don't have access to a machine and the others as I've never drawn before and have tried to teach myself but have become frustrated.

The neat thing though about me posting a chronology of what I learn is that it does not matter what method something is learned in, only WHAT is learned. That way anyone who wants to learn but can't go to a full program can put together their own methods...teaching themselves what they are able (lots of people have the art skills I do not) and seeking out other instructors where they need :smile:

Hi, I am new to this site and want to start my own fashion line. I know exactly what kind of line I am going to have but I just can't sketch what I have in my head out.....How can I find a designer to team up with? I live in the midwest, do I really have to relocate to NY to be around ppl in the fashion industry?? BTW I am not planning on designing high fashion of any sort but more of like GAP, Forever 21, etc....Not high fashion stuff.

I am contemplating whether I should get these books on sketching I reserved at my school....Then again I just don't think I can teach myself fashion sketching......I suck at art but at the same time I love fashion.

I guess you could create a post on Craigslist for your city. I've seen that here, but mostly for pattern makers. You can interview each person and/or check their portfolios to see if their tastes match yours

welcome to theFashionSpot!

Hello!
I'm also new here! (first post)
Like you, I'm also considering of opening my own boutique or fashion line but I have little knowledge about fashion and clothing (sewing, patterns etc.).
I know something about the aspects of business and art since I can draw, can design some clothing but I can hardly sew.
I like to create something like high fashion with not so high prices like Zara but with a limited number of boutiques.
I think the best advice I can give for us is to try our best to know something about fashion that we are not particularly good at. Like I need to study sewing, fabrics, pattern making etc.

welcome!:lucky:^

Believe me, you also learn a lot and can be more creative with design if you know how to sew, draft patterns, use fabrics, etc. :wink:

It's not so difficult, you just need patience --and you can start learning them on your own (I am!). We have threads on recommended textbooks, art techniques and you can also use the DIY Forum for help

Courses vs. Degree in Fashion Design

I was thinking about taking some courses at FIT which I am currently doing right now. I am only taking one. But I wanted some advice. Do I need to go for the FULL Associates Degree in Fashion Design? Or can I just take the most important classes and even take some of the certificate courses in addition to perfect my craft. I want to work in the fashion industry as a designer before I am 30 years old. I am going on a part time basis during the evening. I am also working. I plan to take all of the Fashion Art and Design courses and the draping, sewing, flat patter design including all of the advance courses when I get to that stage plus, I plan to take all of the textile courses and stuff but do I need to take every single course? Figure Drawing, Model Drawing for example.

I know that there are a lot of people who are self taught fashion designers and they don't know how to do Figure Drawing and Model Drawing but they can sketch or even cannot sketch. But is Figure Drawing and Model Drawing and other courses like that necessary. Is it necessary to go for another degree.

Thanks

I've wondered about that too when I was in school. Depends where you are I guess, but from my own experience no one asks to see the piece of paper which says diploma or degree. You just show that you can do the job and/or you have the references (from prior work experience placements or wherever) to back you up.
Looks like you will be taking a lot of courses anyway, and in my case I had considered not taking one... Ironically that course became my favourite subject and is what I'm focused on now. A teacher just encouraged me to take it, and I did unwillingly ^^

I'm referring to my textiles study there^ but for several months now I had been working and also taking one course in pattern drafting which ended last week, and also private lessons in construction.
I find I am maybe missing things like business or learning about line sheets and flats, which I could have been exposed to if I went to a traditional school but in a couple of days I will start an internship at a label here and hopefully I can learn all those things. What I'm missing is what I've read in requirements for job seekers, when viewing classified listings for fashion jobs... However they also require 5-7 years of prior experience, which you don't get automatically going to school :smile:

i know in this particular business a diploma or degree as gius says is not that important. But i find school very important, although they cant give you the same experience an actual job can there are way more contacts and people you can meet through school. Theres always visits to factories or ateliers from other designers, i dont know it gives you a better perspective of how is it going to be once you graduate.

And when you are starting your career knowing the right people can take you to the right places. Its also easier to go to a different country through a school than by yourself if you want that, and if you are good at it you can always get scolarships if you cant afford it or just want it for free.

I think the most important contacts you get working in different places...it's always the same people moving around in the different offices and it's good to be reccomended by them.

that's true.. contacts and traveling through schools

it sure depends on the school
most of who i know is from my own research, i attended artist events and met with people on my own
but the school does open your eyes on what else is possible out there

a combination of school and your own research is good ^_^

Becoming a menswear designer...

I am an aspiring menswear designer. My dream is to have my own brand someday. But first thing first, how do I start? I live in a small town with no fashion schools. The closest thing is the Art Institute. I have my little sketchbook, am learning how to sew, and will buy a mannequin later. Thus I am wondering what should I do next? How do I get into the fashion world? Do I have to move to New York or join a reality show? I need some advice 'coz I really want my dream to come true.

P.S. any good sewing/fashion books?

Thank you

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/how_to_start_a_clothing_line/

You are young go to NYC - Anna Sui left Michigan and went to NYC. Read the link to The Fashion Incubator. Become a pattern maker go to FIT in NYC. You and opportunities will meet each other.

Do not waste your money at The Art Institute schools are a chain of schools who get government funding per student just like FIDM, they take anyone talent or not. It is a business sellign artistic careers which have a low success rate. What you get is a mediocre education that will not work in NYC and a large bill for paying loans, if you can even get one. FIT in NYC is where to go.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!!

I've merged this with a small ongoing thread. I'm also going to redirect you to some threads that will help you with all your questions ... we already have topics about each of them. Although we don't specify "menswear" in these threads ... it's the same education and process to get into any type of fashion design ... at least the basics.

Education to Become a Designer: Is a Degree Necessary? Can I Do Individualized Study?

High School Students, How to Prepare For Fashion School

Art High Schools / Specialized High schools

The Art Institute (s) (USA & Canada)

Books for Fashion Designers: Sewing, Draping, Developing your Own Line. Etc.

Fashion Career Focused Publications & Periodicals

Fashion Illustration & Drawing, How to? / Art materials, croquis, templates, books.

can you handle it? being a fashion designer *wwd article

Fashion designers without a degree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->