A Career as a Fashion Designer. Is a Degree from a Fashion School Necessary?

Hi ogepma,

Welcome to the Fashion Spot.

This is a perfect question for this forum and I hope you'll find some direction. I'll be moving this post into an appropriate thread where members have alread asked about this topic. Also ... and I'm sure you did no know this yet ... I will remove your photos of your line, because we do not allow any thing that looks like self promotion on the Fashion Spot. You can read about that and also find detailed information about many of our rules here in the Announcements forum. However, there is one thread where you may post your designs for feedback ... see the list of threads below.

To answer your question, I can say that fashion school is not an absolute requirement. However ... it's going to diminish your chances if you don't.

First ... you will never make the contacts you need and probably not have a strong enough CV/resume to get any fashion company to hire you as a designer. But, like most aspiring designers, I would guess that you just want to have your own line.

Well ... that will require a lot more than just designing ... it requires all the business skills of an entrepreneur ... and the contacts with the people who buy. So ... fashion school is also your starting place for all of that.

Either way ... without fashion school, you are making it about 100 times more difficult to succeed in an already over saturated market with thousands of talented fashion school grads competing against you. So ... if it's your passion and you want to be able to compete against all of these people .... I would say, get into a good fashion school .... prefererably in a fashion city like New York or London, where you can start to grow your contacts while you learn. it's not easy ... very, very competitive, because fashion design is a "glamour" occupation which lots of young people want to get into. (It's not really glamorous ... that's a myth ... it's hard work and most never make it past low level jobs working for another designer doing what they want you do design.)

P.S. You need to learn how to sew and drape and learn about fabrics. That is the most important part of creating good clothes ... and absolutely essential if you want to be a designer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->