Advice about Starting & Promoting a Fashion Blog - See Post #1 for Thread Rules

^Much better!!!
There is still two things I'd like to mention though
Contast is important, especially for text to be readable. Trying to read bright text on bright backgrounds is very straining on the eyes.
Also, think about hierarchy of text. What do you notice first? In a normal blog-post this should be:
1)Title
2)Keywords/important passages to awake interest, or/and a lead paragraph.
3)Pictures and/or main body text
4)Comments, tags and category (not very important)
In your blog, the first I see is "0 COMMENTS", the main content almost disappears beneath it.
But it's really going somewhere, keep it up :smile:

thanks so much- you're really helpful!! ok, i tweaked it again. how's this? http://fashfille.blogspot.com/

oh, and i have some other questions for you, but not about this topic. can i email you? do you have a google talk screen name or aim? :rolleyes:

After commenting on so many, I thought maybe someone'd give mine a shot. Either the layout (changed it just now, it's still not a hundred per cent finnished) or the content, way of writing, pictures/picturedesigns etc.

edit: link is in my signature. Or here: Smile! It's the apocalypse

Last edited by a moderator:
hey you guys, hopefully you can visit mine. it's in my signature. :smile:

guiijano ... I hope you are asking for a critique ... because we are not allowed to post blog links or invite viewers for any other reason. We have a no promotion rule at tFS ... please review the first post of this thread which explains it. It's OK to have a link in your signature, as you do ... that's there for anyone who is interested in learning more about you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I have read almost every single post in this thread, and I am fairly certain that I *do* want to start a fashion blog (finally).. but the only thing that makes me kind of iffy or scared of it all is the whole posting-things-without-permission thing.

It'd take what'd seem like decades to get permission, a lot of money to "buy" the usage rights, and even MORE money if you were sued..

I know they usually only go after the big guys (like Perez) but I don't think there's a person here with a blog who wouldn't one day LOVE to be that big.

So, how am I supposed to maintain a fashion blog WITH-OUT getting my pants sued off?

Don't get too big ... you are correct ... they don't usually go after the little guy. Espeically if you are not making any money from it.

There are some laws on the books that protect forums like tFS from being liable for what all of our members post but we must immediately remove any content if we are approached by the copyright holder and are instructed to remove it. And I beleive that we are also require to post a pulbic notice about how to do that. I am thinking that it might cover bloggers too. You should look into that ... there's a reference to the name of that law and what we have to do to comply in our Terms and Conditions (link is at the bottom of every forum page). You should ask an attorney about that ... to see if it can apply to bloggers.

Don't get too big ... you are correct ... they don't usually go after the little guy. Espeically if you are not making any money from it.

There are some laws on the books that protect forums like tFS from being liable for what all of our members post but we must immediately remove any content if we are approached by the copyright holder and are instructed to remove it. And I beleive that we are also require to post a pulbic notice about how to do that. I am thinking that it might cover bloggers too. You should look into that ... there's a reference to the name of that law and what we have to do to comply in our Terms and Conditions (link is at the bottom of every forum page). You should ask an attorney about that ... to see if it can apply to bloggers.

You mean, ask an attorney if the same protection applies to bloggers? As in, as long as you take the image down when asked, you won't get sued?

I am pretty sure it'd have to apply as well. My ex boyfriend used to watch UFC fights online for free (when most other people had to pay to view them on cable) and the videos would get shut down all of the time, but the web site was never sued..

But also, what if I *did* want to make money? Just with AdSense or whatever?

Yes ... that's sort of what I mean.

I don't think it's any problem, at least of you put a standard disclaimer up with "all content belong to their respective owners blahblahblah, if you hold the copyright to any of the content posted here, and wish for it to be removed mail me at [email protected] and it will be taken down at once" etc.

I think the Technorati tags and Google were somehow helpful in directing hits to my blog.

As for blog service the best service for me is Typepad but mine's Numeriblog which is a French blogging service. It is powered by Typepad.

The best thing with Typepad blogs for me is that it is for the lazy as it is very easy to fix and organize things in your page. One thing that often annoys me is fixing html codes and that became a piece of cake with my Typepad...

but then again it still is a case to case basis. Not everyone would have the same level of laziness that I have.

ATTENTION, BLOGGERS!!

For anyone who has a blog .... here's your one opportunity to promote it right here ... on tFS!

As you know ... we normally don't allow you to actively promote your blogs here. You may only post you blog links in your signatures and profiles and you may only post links here for critiques about content, graphics, site layout, etc.

But .... now you can compete for being our featured blog of the month. Once a month a blog will be selected to be featured on our editorial pages ... which will mean free advertising for the bogger who wins. Anyone has the chance ... Read here!

Also I'd like to get a critique regarding my blog which is my signature. Would love to hear from you guys!!

Prost!

I don't think it's any problem, at least of you put a standard disclaimer up with "all content belong to their respective owners blahblahblah, if you hold the copyright to any of the content posted here, and wish for it to be removed mail me at [email protected] and it will be taken down at once" etc.

Thank you! And I must say, I absolutely LOVE your blog.. I read a lot of it last night! :smile:

Does anyone sell Text Links on their blog. I have been getting tons of offers, But I'm not sure how I feel about it. Should I add a sponsors page or something. Or just stay away from it altogether?

Does anyone sell Text Links on their blog. I have been getting tons of offers, But I'm not sure how I feel about it. Should I add a sponsors page or something. Or just stay away from it altogether?

I sell text links on my blog. My advise is not to accept every offer since you don't want your blog to be cluttered with link to various sites readers don't care about. Therefore you should be selective and keep the number of text links to a minimum.

I agree, I would only add links to places I would shop at.

Would you label them sponsor add or Link or just mix them in to you link list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenn888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->