Alexander McQueen: After Lee

To think right now that one designer could take over the house of McQueen is both senseless and narrow minded. This house needs to remain dormant for at least the next ten years with a design team reworking mcqueen signatures, particularly his accessories and the brand needs to be built up in a very cooperate way, only then once there has been time to reflect and reinterpret mcqueens work in a totally different era would it be appropriate for a new designer with vision to take the helm. Its simply not achievable to do this in the near future.

Even if they waited 50 before reopening the house people would still bash it and accuse it of being "not up to McQueen standards". 10 years won't do anything, because the longer they wait the bigger the negative reaction will be when they reopen. If they hire a replacement now the reaction will still be negative, but expected, so no one could really complain.
I hope that made sense.

^^ But its a very weak argument, there is no on like McQueen, Suzy Menkes et al can abash it all she likes but no matter how hard anyone tried they would never have a vision that competes with that of McQueens. Giving the house time to actually take breath and catch up with McQueens ideology would clarify the real DNA of the house, and greatly substantiate the vision of the designer who has the very difficult job of filling his shoes as creative director.

also, anyone taking over mcqueen would look over past collections and rework past pieces to keep the brand like mcqueen but mcqueen was never about looking at the past, every one collection was different to the last

i think gucci group is just being greedy by wanting to keep his brand on and replace him with some other designer,want to profit as much as possible from his name and legacy...

Of course, but what do we expect, Gucci Group is a company with interest in profit. As much as I hate it, it's only fair because they legally owns the brand and a lot of money has been invested.

I just hope the team/designer who is taking over will have the capability to present fashion in a new and unexpected way as Lee himself.

McQueen for me was all about creating a story that would suprise/fascinate/provoke us in a way as well as his designs were beautiful.

So I hope the sucessor(s) will follow this philosophy..

lets be real here...

a month after fashion week, sadly, everyone will have forgotten about the great loss of mcqueen. then, we can expect the house to carry on in the most commercial way possible.

just look at margiela. two months after diesel confirmed his departure, they come out with a fragrance, a book, a sellable line 1, and more logo based pieces. not to mention, their decision to allow any store who showed interest to carry mm6, and the rest of the lines carried at places that just a few years ago would be unheard of, like Bloomingdales.

its sad but true- gucci needs to make money. i'm sure, in a few months time, mcqueen will have his name all over make-up, fragrance, affordable bags, and mcq will be carried everywhere.

the shows will continue, and people will make judgments, but at the end of the day, gucci will be making money, and thats all that matter right now.

Originally Posted by chiara22
i think gucci group is just being greedy by wanting to keep his brand on and replace him with some other designer,want to profit as much as possible from his name and legacy...

I'm sorry but this is a pretty stupid comment.
How are they greedy? They have spent MILLIONS of dollars on the McQueen brand for YEARS, and it actually started paying off because McQueen started providing profit. Do you really think they're just gonna let that go just like that? No way!

Would you throw away McQueen if you've owned more than half of it for a decade?

It's very short-sighted to say that they're greedy because the fact is that they're not. It's not like they're trying to hog the company from everyone else, they're simply trying to re-establish their own assets so they won't lose millions, possibly billions of dollars worth of investments.

just look at margiela. two months after diesel confirmed his departure, they come out with a fragrance, a book, a sellable line 1, and more logo based pieces. not to mention, their decision to allow any store who showed interest to carry mm6, and the rest of the lines carried at places that just a few years ago would be unheard of, like Bloomingdales.

Of course! What kind of idiot would just throw away an already well established brand with a very clear aesthetic? A rookie would. But not a businessman. And I will bet you a million dollars Alexander McQueen will have the same fate.

In today's world money talks, full stop. Art, creativity and design is NOT the priority anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Interesting.

Even though it's a win/loose-loose/win situation, my fashion illustration instructor mentioned to me that if no one continues the line soon enough, McQueen's name will be forgotten within the next 2 years (fashion moves too fast for its own good sometimes).

Long story short, there will never be another McQueen, but if there's a new designer who perhaps shared the same charisma/spirit/aesthetic/design process as McQueen but in a completely different direction - then maybe that will work. Who knows...

lets be real here...

a month after fashion week, sadly, everyone will have forgotten about the great loss of mcqueen. then, we can expect the house to carry on in the most commercial way possible.

its sad but true- gucci needs to make money. i'm sure, in a few months time, mcqueen will have his name all over make-up, fragrance, affordable bags, and mcq will be carried everywhere.

the shows will continue, and people will make judgments, but at the end of the day, gucci will be making money, and thats all that matter right now.

actually regarding margiela....the scent was already developed before he departed and the book was edited by he himself.

did u guys hear anything about McQueen's F/W 10.11 show??
i keep reading about it being a private presentation with no cams allowed

Gareth Pugh? Im not so sure, he's too narrow-focussed and not very original.

hmmm idk about Gareth
I mean he has great technical skills for his age but idk if he can full McQueen's armadillo shoes

but im willing to give him a chance hoping McQueens team helps him make his visions wearable

I'm not a Gareth fan at all. He was always just a poor man's McQueen to me. I'd like the house to keep running with the design team McQueen himself had in place there, rather than someone being drafted in. But at the end of the day, nothing we say, or any of our opinions matter. Gucci reigns supreme.

Also, Pugh has his own mainline to take care of. He does have a certain flair for making dramatic clothes, and I believe he does have a vision- but if he does indeed step in at Alexander McQueen it's going to be a slippery slope, people are going to want another McQueen and there's simply no way that's going to happen- a different designer is a different designer. That said, Gucci needs someone to take over the job. They'll just have to find the best person they can, and find him/her fast if they want to show the line for S/S 2011. And Gareth Pugh is actually a way better candidate than the Rodarte sisters, whose shows (after that brilliant AW08 one) have all tended to spin on a similar riff and look.

Half of me still can't believe Lee McQueen is actually dead.

I think Olivier is an amazing designer who did some mind-blowingly beautiful work at Rochas, and from what I remember of his main line when he was showing, he does seem to have a slightly dark bent of (design) mind- something Lee McQueen also had, but to a greater degree. Hussein has a much more scientific approach to fashion and the ways to create clothes.
Ultimately, whoever the new designer is HAS to be someone who can cut well. Alexander McQueen sold as many clothes as it did not just because of outrageous shows and revolutionary concepts, but because he could execute them beautifully and pretty much did everything possible to flatter the female form. Where are theygoing to find a designer who can do both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->