The future of Alexander McQueen

Someday

Reaction score
The S/S 2005 and F/W2006 collection inspired some strong reactions against (and also for) Alexander McQueen. I do not want to re-start an old thread on the collections.
The consensus (from what I read) is that PPR has given all houses until 2007 to turn a profit- or else. Or else what?

The pressure convinced Stella McCartney to do the H&M deal- to me, a temporary quick-fix. Not sure this will save her financially ailing house in long run, but that is none of my business.

The same pressure to be profitable that purportedly made McQueen dilute his craft helped Ghesquiere (arguably) produce his best ever collection at Balenciaga-although, as many posted here, it was not exactly true to Balenciaga's history.

Perhaps PPR sees big profits from the Balenciaga fragrance license, which they have (or shortly will) re-acquire- they could have simply given Ghesquiere an agenda to build an image to sell perfume, handbags, a jeans line- who knows. McQueen, on the other hand, may have been told he must start selling clothes.

So the question-What is up with McQueen?

Is he getting greedy, wanting to make lots of money?
Is he getting lazy, sick of creating for an unappreciative supervisor?
Is he intentionally trying to get himself fired? Does he have bigger fish to fry?
Or, is he running out of steam-has he simply lost his touch, is this the best he can do?

What do you think?

so much pressure....

Is he getting greedy, wanting to make lots of money? yes
Is he getting lazy, sick of creating for an unappreciative supervisor? no
Is he intentionally trying to get himself fired? no, it's the opposite
Does he have bigger fish to fry? no
Or, is he running out of steam-has he simply lost his touch, is this the best he can . it's the best he can to make a really really really really sellable collection appealing to the tacky masses.....

gucci group is an evil empire.... able to turn the most talented into money machines...... :evil:

I dunno. His most recent collection wasn't anymore sellable than his past ones. S/S05 A/W04 S/S04 all had very easy to wear pieces. His goddess/phoenix collection was just plain bad. I'm giving him another season before I say anything else.

^ of course it's plain bad.... but he's trying just about ANYTHING, even if he has to create something unoriginal, just to try to make it marketable, sellable to the masses.....

I think he's doing it because he's become increasingly pressured to sell more from the upper-handed idiots who own his label...because it's quite odd that it's evolved in such a way so suddenly. Going from a gorgeous S/S 05 to a very commercial and very bland A/W and S/S 06.

I think McQueen will find a good median. I found the S/S 2006 more disappointing than the F/W 05 collection. Galliano went "normal" for about two seasons and now he appears to have found a medium (although that lace pattern was completely exhausted). I think McQueen is far too intelligent to just "let go". His touch is still there for sure!

Hum.... I blame this on the ice cream maker ... so goodI never liked ice cream toomuch cuz this wud ruin it for me ... he's pressured to sell ...I posted something on the his latest show thread about this ...too lazy to repost

With the amount of interest surrounding Alexander McQueen's collections, I always imagined he somehow managed to make a profit but I've said this before; the curse of the fashion group can either make designers go down a road which can be rewarding both creatively and financially with the amount of pressure placed on them or lose a bit of the magic they have.

^I really don't understand why he gave in to being bought in the first place. It wasn't as if he was really facing financial ruin because he wouldn't and I don't think McQueen was ever really that interested in expanding into some global propreity. But now that Tom Ford has left,whom he formed a business and creative relationship with,he's stuck dealing with half-wits who apparently care nothing about the creation just that it turns profit....very quickly. It's probably the one thing I can actually say about ol' Tom & Del Sole....they did seem to respect McQueen and his vison. Whether or not that was a mere front because Lee brought attention to the group,I dunno.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did want to have a biger brand, more money and security. Although I guess he isn't very secure any more and he's facing loosing his backing.Which is why he is doing commercial collections.

If his label goes down the drain .. i hope he doesnt stay passive for a while ... even tho he'd probable loose his name id like to see him back doing what he does best with perfect creative freedom .. like when he had the shows funded by AmEx...

McQueens directions

From people on the inside - mqueen is trying to go back to his roots as an edgy designer - he is being pushed to develop stronger accesories - he is in talks with puma - etc. etc.

isn't he thing between him and PUMA already signed, because it said in elle (swedish) that it will be released... so maybe that's him doing what stella is doing with H&M to gain a profit

I really don't quite understand what you're saying there,Mike. Last two collections have been anything but "edgy" but I do agree that it appears he's being pushed into more of the gimmicky stuff.

And,yes,the Puma deal is already a done deal...the line is already out,I think.

Its tough on the designers starting out... the amount of capital you need to be practical in starting up is huge... and even bigger when your showing at one of the top 4 fashion shows.. (Milan, Paris, etc.). I feel bad for him if hes being pressured.. but really he should have seen that coming. People aren't going to keep on coughing up money if you aren't making anything. In a perfect world yeah, but not in this one

I though the FW 05/06 was very commercial.. yet I still found it attractive and I still enjoyed the collection... I'm sorry I can't say the same for SS 2006.. the thing is I don't even find the clothes very wearable... a lot of it looks like costumes from a greco roman movie..

i prefer designers making commercial clothes yet having an unique personality and style, of course i want to see some beautiful and dramatic clothes, but i want to wear some beautiful and wearable clothes more.
i guess those mcqueen female (cause his mensline is wearable enough since the debut) fans who buy his clothes are more please to see his latest collections because they can really buy more to wear.

CharlottefromCA said:
I though the FW 05/06 was very commercial.. yet I still found it attractive and I still enjoyed the collection... I'm sorry I can't say the same for SS 2006.. the thing is I don't even find the clothes very wearable... a lot of it looks like costumes from a greco roman movie..
I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed FW 05/06. I thought it was a beautiful collection that was 100% wearable and very classy. SS 06 on the other hand was relatively tacky even though there were some pieces I liked (the greens).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->