Alone in fashion?

Mona1

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Do you ever feel lonely? Not lonely in the sense that you don't have any friends or family, but I sometimes (often) miss a really good girlfriend that I can talk about fashion and clothes with, the way I can here on tFS.
For example: On Monday morning I'm invited to one of my favourite boutiques for some VIP shopping (50% discount). I thought if would be nice to go with a girlfriend and then have breakfast together and talk about our purchases.

But then reality hit me:
1) I don't have any "Sex and the City" girlfriends
2) They like shopping, but don't have a genuine interest for fashion
3) They wouldn't wake up earlier just to go shopping, and then have breakfast in a nice café.

So I'll be going by myself...

Am I the only onefeeling like this?

PS. not sure if this topic belongs in this section, moderators, feel free to move it.

Ohhhh ... yes I have been there!

You know what helps? Hanging out at the cafes or plazas or malls where YOU like to shop and if you see a girl with something interesting just approach her and ask where she get that top or such ...

I've met fab girls online too ... from this very forum ... believe me ... the hardest part is to meet the first one .. once you're in, you'll have tons of new friends with the same passion!

G'luck!

Other person: Hey you know about fashion
Me: Suure...
Other person: What the f*ck is going on now, everything seems so (insert negative adjective here) now.
Me: (speaks in mumbo jumbo and namedrops)
Other person: Nerd.

I don't have anyone to go shopping with either really..I mean I could go with my siste or something..but I don't have any girlfriends around here who actually want to go out in search of cool items. I just kinda shop along for the most part. ... it'd be nice though

I shop either on my own or with my sister, but she lives far away. I actually prefer shopping on my own.

Well, I had the same pain, and now I actually turned one of my friend into a fashion friend, lol. We would talk about fashion, share great pic. of fashion on MSN, read through mags to find a great hairstyle, sit in a coffee shop downtown check out what people are wearing etc. But sometimes I still shop alone, and I don't prefere to shop with too many people too, because it takes longer and sometimes it's "catty".

I always prefer shopping on my own so i can take my time and not worry about the other person wanting to move on to the next shop. but i know what you mean..i personally loooove clothes and fashion and go around just for the sake of looking at clothes and admiring the designs and creativity of the designer. my eyes get pleasure out of it! no one around me seems to share that passion. so i miss having a "Sex and the City Carrie" friend sometimes!

Yeah... my friends just think I'm being snooty and whatnot. Their idea of talking bout fashion is talking about the GAP. I had one fashion girlfriend - we would spend all day looking through consignment shops and walk another 8 blocks sipping on lattes and chatting to visit our favorite boutique... but she moved away and my other friends think that's a bore =p

Not me! My bestfriend is super-interrested in fashion, in fact, I wasn't as interrested in fashion as I am know before I got to know her (I was interrested, but I wasn't so addicted and hooked on it then). We've bought bags over the net together, discuss fashion, styleicons, eBay, shop together... ^_^

^ I don't mind shopping alone, good thing too as none of my friends are that interested in fashion.

I have a friend I go antiquing with, and she has been trying to get me to go to this store that sells samples because she gets shopping dollars there when she gets her friends to go. I imagine you guys know the kind of samples--totally cheap and embroidered with watermelons :rolleyes: I told her I couldn't buy any clothes right now because I just spent a lot on shoes. True as far as it goes ... what I failed to say was I wouldn't be caught dead in that sh*t ... haven't you noticed I wear *nice* clothes?? :lol:

I know exactly how it is. My friends don't know too much about being fashionable...in fact all they care about is looking like a "pimp" at the club so they can "dance with mad chicks." I wouldn't even bring it up with them coz they wouldn't have any idea about what (Express is the pinnacle of fashion in their opinions...the best of the best! Nothing against express, I shop there too sometimes, but camon now...) i'm talking and they'd just gimme a look like...what're you gay? I just find it easier to shop by myself...I can go where I want without them coming in the way lol!

Its the same with little cafe's and such...I go to uni in DC which has a lot of places like that...i've made it my mission to find as many as possible, and I just go on saturday mornings by myself.

I've discovered that one of my friends is all into fashion (actually we discovered each other, and she was shocked to learn that I'm into fashion =P). She's the president of the club that I also hold a position on so it'll be cool to chill with her...she said she wanted me to be her shopping buddy hahah...I told her, if she drove me to Tysons, i'd do it!

Good to know I'm not the onlu one. But It's not just shopping, because I also prefer to go shopping on my own so I can decide the pace myself and not be affected by the pther persons opinion on what looks good on me etc.

I mean those other stuff like going to small cafés and other "Carrie" stuff, I miss it.

And Shamigo, I understand you, my friends are the same, the jut want to look as sexy as possible to get as much attentino from guys in the clubs as possible. Some girls dress to get attention from guys, but I find it more flattering when girls think I'm wearing cool stuff.

Mona1...I'm totally with you on this one. I have many friends who are interested in shopping but that's not the same thing as being into fashion like when I was in Antwerp and I saw Diane Pernet walking around, nobody got excited except for me. Probably because I didn't go to fashion school, and probably because I don't work in fashion either, obviously means the circles I am in aren't going to be hugely interested in fashion as something to discuss at length.

I'm pretty lucky, I have a sister who'll go shopping with me whose equally interested in fashion. She actually wants to design clothing when she finishes school, and shes always putting stuff together in interesting ways. I don't mind shopping on my own but I'm always more hesistant to buy things because I don't have anyone with me to give an honest second opinion...thats where the sis comes in handy!

Most definetly! I moved to London to attend uni two years, I went to uni in North London where I made friends (not fashionable however), then moved to SE London where I now attend a different uni. This uni is HIGHLY fashionable and I fit in with what I wear - however I have no friends (this sounds sad I know) - but I just haven't managed to make any friends. I feel a right weirdo because I am outgoing and I considered myself to be extremely fashionable - yet I am going into my 3rd year at uni in September and I hardly know anyone in London!!!
I have no-one to discuss fashion with (nor relationships, etc), extra via email to my sister and friends in Manchester. I can't even get a summer job, so I am not doing much all day - plus my boyfriend is much older than me and so he doesn't take an interest in what I wear (he frowns now and again, not 'understanding' my fashion sense).
So apart from email friends and family in Manchester, rarely seeing friends whom I met at my previous uni in N.London - the only way to communicate with people is via message boards like 'The Fashion Spot'. I love this board...it makes me smile!

Sorry if I sound like a saddo - I am not depressed or anything, lol...just explaining my scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
i nearly always shop alone. i have a few friends (i can count on one hand) that i can talk to about fashion. as others have mentioned, i enjoy reading this board to get others perspectives.

this is basically the only place i can come to talk about fashion

i need more fashionable friends though...i have a friend who thinks he's hot sh*t coz he's always wearing abercrombie polos with his collars up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->