American Horror Story

what does that sentence even mean ?
and why smashing pumpkin reference ? i've never listened to this band, so i'm just wondering...

LOL

I think you did just answered your own question with your analysis of the performance.

Neo postmodernism is more of an off-the-cuff term that I don't mean with any seriousness. Just more along the lines of another postmodern style.

Have you seen Moulin Rouge? Post-Victorian Paris setting but the musical numbers were all pop songs from the 21st-century, reinvented. As Scott already mentioned, the type of guitar-riffing that was used is not a sound of the 1950s, in which this show is set in. That type of sound wasn't around until the mid-60s. But unlike Moulin Rouge, which was hyper-stylized from beginning to end, with sets pieces that resembled musical staging/ video sets, and even a highly stylized form of cinematography, with the modern musical numbers worked alongside the post-Victorian settings: It consistently maintained a rockstar-Victorian theatre for the MTV-generation look throughout the film. Freak Show just injected a bit of modernity with the (poorly-rendered) musical number into an otherwise 1950s set. It didn't work.

The eccentricity of the musical number from Freak Show looked like it was shoehorned into a very ordinary-looking show. Visually, it reminded me of the type of aesthetic favored by Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness phase. I'd highly recommend you'd check the sound, as well as their visual style for that period of their career if you're not familiar with it. They were all so striking and fit the post-punk/baroque-rock of their sound so wonderfully. (Not to mention the deeply-saturated and overexposed photography of the Freak Show musical number had a very mid-90s vibe-- instantly reminds me of Hole's videos-- which were also very similar to Smashing Pumpkins' aesthetic.) Seems like Ryan can't help himself and must always ram in a musical number; I guess the context of this number isn't so horrible compared to the ones in Coven and Asylum-- it was just the execution that was very weak, to me.

Visually, I'd prefer the show's atmosphere to resemble more of the campaign's imagery and vibe if they wanted to be stylishly creepy: Go all the way with a Floria Sigismondi look and feel. Or just stick to a plain-jane look and have the disturbing elements of the story unfold to create atmosphere (Like Cannibal Holocaust). The way it is now, it just comes off either lazy, or the budget didn't allow it to go all the way.

Scott: Puddles the Clown (with his amazing voice) is more unpredictably unhinged, more creepy, than this one. This one is way too Clown-wannabe from Spawn (who, if you're not familiar with the Spawn comic, was based on, and is named Gacy. Creepy.)

^the clown reminds me of Captain Spaulding from the movie House of 1000 Corpses, he´s a serial killer and a creepy manipulator :ninja:

1114jd0.jpg

Are you saying that FS´s clown is based on Spawn´s Clown? in appearance only or also the fantastic elements?

nightowlpro.com

^^^ If only they went with a design more like Captain Spaulding, who is so so so very disturbing... I'm afraid of him. Like the grandfather from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Spaulding gets to me because he looks like someone that's out there, and that's real.

FS's clown's mouth only reminds me of Spawn's Clown. So no, I have no idea if that was their inspiration.

Two episodes in and the only thing that I find interesting is Twisty´s story, and his new sidekick.

Yeah! Sticky and Finn are the new Lenny and George-- although it's kind of hard to decide who's Lenny and who's George at this stage LOL

Love Angela's matter-of-factly saying "Those poufs are even lower than us freaks". That's the type of clever, subversive, shrewd social-observational content that Ryan throws in to AHS that I adore. I'm glad he hasn't forgotten his political streak amongst the cringe-inducing musical numbers (moshing???? WTFFFFFFF).

Poor Meep! That was sad.

Still the most interesting thing on this show is Twisty and Dandy's "friendship"

I keep expecting Maggie to come out with some sassy comment. I miss Madison! Twisty is quite confusing, I really want to know what he plans to do with the 3 he kidnapped.

so neil patrick harris and his husband have been announced as additions to the cast...one can only imagine the musical numbers we might be subjected to in light of his recent success as hedwig.

^ Oh :lol: Im tired of the musical numbers, her Lana del Rey cover was decent.

Also Lily Rabe will return as sister may eunice! In an episode that shows how Pepper ended up at the Asylum

Also Lily Rabe will return as sister may eunice! In an episode that shows how Pepper ended up at the Asylum

hold on.
so this means this is the 1st time there're links (a cross-over?) between 2 series ?
that is pretty interesting, i think. and could allow interesting stories for upcoming seasons.

Ryan Murphy needs to stop it with the musical numbers, save it for glee. Give me more gore and crazy twists.

I'm excited to see Matt Bomer, Wes Bentley and Lily Rabe, NPH and his bf I could care less about, Zachary Quinto returning would be pleasantly welcomed.

EXCELLENT episode, the 4x04 ...
3 episodes to set the characters (a bit long, but i appreciate long introductions), and the fourth to unravel the plots ...

really excited about the Jessica Lange SM pre-war sex stories. I knew there would be sex, and I hope for more. It was very Portier de Nuit inspired, wasn't it ?

this was a good episode.

and the "mask" finally gives that spoiled brat psycho the power to (serial) kill. he had it in his veins, obvs.

I loved last night episode ! The back stories were really interesting and so sad at the same time (I even felt sad for Twisty). Can't wait for Mary Eunice to appear, the cross-over idea is so exciting.

hold on.
so this means this is the 1st time there're links (a cross-over?) between 2 series ?
that is pretty interesting, i think. and could allow interesting stories for upcoming seasons.

Yes, I wonder if he will continue the cross overs or if it will stop.

Has anyone seen the theories on how all the seasons are connected? They are a stretch but still interesting. There is also a timeline that shows all the events of the seasons in chronological order, that is really cool

^ Isn't one of them how one of the couples in Murder House were the Montgomerys and then we had Madison in Coven? Surely that has to be something..

Some people were saying on twitter that series 5 will return to Coven but that's doubtful.

Ma Petite is so cute, I hope she gets a good story line.

Jimmy. :heart:

Sidekick no more! loved Dandy's rise to killer power :smile:

Anyone has a link to the theories?

i think the theories could be on to something....there's so many different characters in these seasons many played by the same characters,i wouldn't be surprised if they were connected to one story or the other in some way. i think we're just beginning to see it happen with pepper and salty and sister mary eunice. i think dandy is much more frightening to me than twisty now....something about that spoiled brat with no sense of accountability mentality i find even more unnerving....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->