Anette Stai

justaguy

Staff member
Reaction score
anette_stai_smi_0001.jpg

The Fashionista is proud to present an interview with a firmiliar face in the industry! Anette Stai, born 1961, is a noted model from Norway, and the first winner ever of the Supermodel of the World contest in 1980. I met up with her in Oslo, after returning from New York and Mercedes-Benz fashion week.

First of all. How did your career begin?
Everything started back in the day, when I was a student at Trine’s Mannequin School. It was my mother that decided for me, because the Queen had studied there, and I guess she wanted me to learn about poise and such. I also started working for a model agency in Oslo. I am the first model to ever win the Supermodel of the World competition, in 1980, and thanks to Eileen Ford, this was when it all started working out for me. All those beautiful pictures, and a week in Monaco, it was a teenage dream come true.

What expectations did you have? Did you set yourself any goals?
I had very few expectations, because this was all new to me at the time. When I was younger, I wanted to become a vet, and where I grew up, we had horses. I guess I was a tomboy at the time. I slowly wrapped my head around this modeling business, and the goals came after a while. To be frank, I wasn’t sure what goals one should set in that business.

Now that you have experience in the business, would you say that the business is as tough as people tell you it is, or is that all the media presentation?
It’s as tough as they say it is, and even the strongest can fall. Much is based out of luck, and even more on the looks. If you don’t have what people are looking for, you’ll simply get a slap in the face. I was lucky, and because of Eileen Ford and the victory in the competition, I had a «flying start». I also had a very good mentor. None other than Polly Mellen, a fashion editor of Vogue! She tought me a lot!

What is the biggest moment of your career?
I think the greatest moment was when I won the Supermodel of the World competition, but again, it’s so difficult to divide a career, and to choose one moment. I have worked with so many great people, the biggest photographers out there, Gilles Bensimon for instance.

If you were to give someone 5 tips on how to survive in the industry, what would they be?
It is very difficult giving advice in this business, people only give advice based on their own situation. For me, the advice would be to have someone that can travel the world with you, to just be there for you, because you spend a lot of time alone as a model. It can be lonely, and for me, it was hard dealing with all these adult tasks at such a young age.

Out of all the fashion personalities you’ve met in your career, which did you enjoy the most?
Irving Penn. He died last year, 92 year old, but being a great inspiration. Arthur Elgort as well. He tought me how to walk, and how to relax, but really, it’s difficult to choose between so many brilliant and interesting people that I’ve come to know. Tyen f.ex, make up artist and photographer, John Sahag, I wouldn’t know where to begin!

You have recently worked as the media contact for the norwegian division of Louis Vuitton. How has that been for you?
It has been an incredible experience, and it has been fantastic working for Louis Vuitton. Definitely a journey worth the while!

What mark do you hope to leave in the industry?
To me, just being remembered is the biggest compliment, and I can’t ask for anything else. A big compliment!
thefashionista.blog.com

US Vogue December 1981

Dressed...Is a Matter of "Degree"--a New Range of At-Home Looks
Photo Andrea Blanch
Models Andie MacDowell, Rosemary McGrotha, Anette Stai, Kelly Emberg, Jacki Adams & Kelly LeBrock
Hair Suga
Makeup Vincent Nasso

My scans

US Vogue June 1981

Paris/Milan--A Season of Change
Photo Marco Glaviano
Models Lisa Berkley & Anette Stai
Hair John Sahag
Makeup Tyen

My scans

US Vogue April 1983

More Than Meets the Eye
Photo Irving Penn
Models Eva Johannsen, Jacki Adams, Anette Stai & Leticia Lucas
Hair Sam McKnight
Makeup Linda Cantello

My scans

US Vogue March 1982

Color On Ice The Impact Is Refreshing, Cool
Photo Bill King
Models Joan Severance, Anette Stai, Isabella Rossellini & Unknown
Hair John Sahag
Makeup Alberto Fava

My scans

US Vogue November 1982

Evening Temptations...The Best!
Photo Bill King
Models Leslie Winer, Anette Stai & Kelly Emberg
Hair Garren
Makeup Ariella
Nails Rosa Jordan

My scans

US Vogue November 1982

The Ring Thing
Photo Denis Piel
Models Rosemary McGrotha, Elisabetta Ramella & Anette Stai
Hair Garren
Makeup Alberto Fava
Nails Ceclia Chan

My scans

US Vogue November 1982

Black - The Big Thing
Photo Denis Piel, Sandra Hataley & Jim Varriale
Models Lauren Helm, Anette Stai & Joanna Pacula
Hair Garren & John Victor
Makeup Alberto Fava & Mariella Smith-Masters
Nails Ruth Tennen

My scans

US Vogue April 1982

Paris/Rome: The Sizzle--Couture Highlights for Spring/Summer Pt.1
Photo Bill King
Models Isabella Rossellini, Wanakee Pugh, Jacki Adams, Anette Stai & Clio Goldsmith
Hair Garren
Makeup Tyen

Paris/Rome: The Sizzle--Couture Highlights for Spring/Summer Pt.2

Paris/Rome: The Sizzle--Couture Highlights for Spring/Summer Pt.3

My scans

US Vogue December 1982

The Most Dazzle!
Photo Hiro
Models Jacki Adams, Annette Stai & Kim Alexis
Hair Garren
Makeup Tyen
Nails Josephine Allen

My scans

US Vogue December 1982

Fur... to the Limit!
Photo Denis Piel
Models Talisa Soto, Betty Prado, Wanakee Pugh & Anette Stai
Hair & Makeup Rick Gillette

My scans

US Vogue September 1982

The Look-Makers - The Best Real-Life Day Dressing Pt.1
Photo Arthur Elgort
Models Kim Alexis, Andie MacDowell, Marcus Abel, Susan Hess, Leslie Winer, Nancy Donahue, Anette Stai, Paulina Porizkova, Terri May & Unknown
Hair Simon Marsden
Makeup Paul Gobel

The Look-Makers - The Best Real-Life Day Dressing Pt.2

My scans

US Vogue September 1982

At Night..The Best of the Best
Photo Irving Penn
Models Rosemary McGrotha, Anette Stai & Kelly Emberg
Hair Garren
Makeup Wesley Dunn

My scans

US Vogue September 1982

Star Performers! Tommy Tune/The Little Black Dress
Photo Bill King
Models Anette Stai, Leslie Winer & Tommy Tune
Hair Didier Malige & Garren
Makeup Tyen

My scans

US Vogue September 1982

Black... with a Soft Touch
Photo Bert Stern
Models Joan Severance & Anette Stai
Hair John Sahag
Makeup Alberto Fava

My scans

US Vogue August 1983

It's a Great Year for Coats!
Photo Jeffrey Pederson
Models Anette Stai, Jacki Adams, Leticia Lucas & Unknown
Hair Anthony DeMay
Makeup Sophie Levy

My scans

US Vogue January 1983

Go For the Best! - the Looks To Watch for '83 Pt.1
Photo Arthur Elgort
Models Jacki Adams, Anette Stai, Bonnie Berman, Andie MacDowell, iman & Joan Severance
Hair Garren
Makeup Alberto Fava

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->