Any Fashion Designers Here, on theFashionSpot Forums?

Have you practiced sewing? It's not that complex, I'm sure you can pick it up in plenty of time prior to entering a school of design/fashion.

I agree. It's really not that difficult to pick up the basics. :flower:

I learned how to sew in about a month.
It's very VERY easy, not only that but you will get ALOT of training suring your undergraduate years if you choose the right course.

but the answer is pretty much yes...you need to know how to sew...

you don't have to be a couturier...but drawing and sketching designs is not 'designing'...that's illustration...which is only one step in designing...unless of course you are a celeb with lots of money and power...but then you'd just hire a designer and you wouldn't really design anyway...LOL...

so yes...learn to sew... :flower:

Thanks everybody...I'm going to learn to sew! :P

you need to be able to know how to sew so that you understand how garments go together

i used to think i could get away with drawing pictures and that was enough......but you realise that some things you draw arent quite as easy as that.....and its not always possible for it to look exactly how you imagine

Get yourself onto a beginners clothesmaking course, or buy a simple sewing pattern...try it out see where you've gone wrong and seek help from someone you know who can sew. Desconstruct old garments so you can see the way they've been sewn together and how they work in accordance to the human figure, and just play about with ideas on paper...thinking up simple patterns for bags etc...it all helps :flower:

now that we're on randomness, I have an even more random and actually dumb question: where do trends come from?. I heard it's couture but ..it cant be!..i think :P or that committe thing in every city? :huh:
I just want to know how do all designers (the commercial ones at least) come up with the same ideas all the time? i mean, do they send them a book with some basics about what they have to do every season or something?

argh, everyone must know that but me, how annoying :lol:

Reactions: KoV
this is so cool hehe im going to learn to sew... does anyone like imagine up clothes... sometimes when i day dream i make new looks in my head then try find them

Thanks again everyone. I think I'll head over to rag shop for some cheap patterns and stuff. One more question though- Even with basic sewing ability, can I still get into a fashion school, and will they teach me more about sewing as well? (Providing I enroll myself in the correct classes) Thanks! :P

Reactions: KoV
Well I have no idea about the American education system, so the best thing to do would be find the places with the fashion courses you want to do in the future, i think u said FIT or Parsons...and e-mail the people involved in that course...the tutors etc....and they will probably send you information on the required skill level you will need :smile:

Originally posted by LostInNJ@Dec 1 2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks again everyone. I think I'll head over to rag shop for some cheap patterns and stuff. One more question though- Even with basic sewing ability, can I still get into a fashion school, and will they teach me more about sewing as well? (Providing I enroll myself in the correct classes) Thanks! :P
[snapback]446342[/snapback]​

yes of course...you will learn techniques and pattern-making...etc...that's part of what you are going to school for... :flower:

I heard Parson's is extremely difficult to get into without being the daughter/son of an aristocrat or an heir to some capital fortune or something along those lines. :P Good luck though!!

Go to the store and pick up your own sewing machine.. you will eventually need your own if you really want this. Sew things before you go to college.... you can even pick up one of those educational sewing machines where it shows you on the machine how to thread it.

If you are still foggy when you get into college you can attend sewing tutoring sessions.. I know they have that in the accessories dept here at FIT.

Any thoughts about Patrick Robinson quiting Perry Ellis?

edit-model mama...there is an entire topic for discussing this question ..please check there...thanks! :wink:

TO BE HONEST WITH YOU I 'D GO TO PARSONS. Most of the people working at FIT suck, otherwise, it's o k .

I'm attending FIT right now, I know they have programs called Saturday live. It's for H.S. students who are interested in fashion design. Here is the website if you want more info. www.fitnyc.edu

If you're interested in going to school for fashion, why don't you try a summer course at a college with fashion courses? You'll get to check out the school, see how the classes are, find out what kinds of things you need to know, build a portfolio, get experience, improve your fashion resume, improve your knowlege of what exactly the design process entails, maybe improve your sewing skills, generally see if it's the right thing for you, and have a great time! You can probably take courses at FIT, Parsons, RISD, and probably a bunch of others. I took a summer course at an art school (not for fashion though) and it was the best thing I've done in my entire time in high school...so maybe I'm biased. :P

But definitely practice sewing. I seem to remember the fashion studuents first drawing the pretty sketches and then drawing flat outlines of the clothing with exact measurements/details etc. It will be good experience for you to experiment with sewing by hand or by machine. Also, maybe you can try out your own designs! What fun. Good luck! :flower:

Part of going into school is learning how to do things.. FIT doesn't expect people to come in and know everything... otherwise, what's the point of attending? School's just want to see potential in their prospective students.

Originally posted by sassandviolet@Dec 1 2004, 08:52 PM
I heard Parson's is extremely difficult to get into without being the daughter/son of an aristocrat or an heir to some capital fortune or something along those lines. :P Good luck though!!
[snapback]446751[/snapback]​

not true...it's just expensive...but it's not harvard... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strigi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->