Art background is important in all aspects of the fashion industry?

diorable

Reaction score
Would having a background in drawing / art be useful or practical in magazine editorial work?
I am an extremely devout art history student, but I was told that if I wanted to work in ANY aspect of the fashion industry, I must know how to draw / understand how to draw (this was told to me by someone with no background in fashion whatsoever, but it sort of made sense...).
So if I wanted to work in editorials / journalism or business in the fashion industry, would it be important or useful for me to have hands-on experience in art? I've always been a devout 'art observer' and 'critic', but I've never tried to actually taken sketching classes...
:heart:

I wouold think that only a fashion designer would need drawing skills ... to sketch their ideas and designs.

But having the "eye" could help in any aspect of fashion ... being able to quickly see what looks good and what doesn't. I would think that if you were to work on the editorial staff of a fashion magazine, having a good eye would help you do your job well. Any art training (scetching, art appreciation, art history ... anything) would be helpful in developing your eye ... to learn about color, contrast, texture, balance, proportion, attention to detail, etc.. But if you may already have the "eye" if art has been an interest.

As far as the business end of fashion .... you had better be a left brainer (someone who understands numbers, not art).

my aunt used to work for "Visual Merchandising & Store Display" magazine (it's for window dressing), and it's not necessary to have sketching skills. Unless you work in the art department or CAD department.

i'd bet Mr. Arnault (LVMH group chairman) didn't know what organza was when he started to buy fashion companies...
why would then a journalist need to draw? i think knowing about history of art and fashion says already a lot in your favor!!! if you are interested in business, feel lucky for liking art and fashion too... i think that is quite unique (... obiously not at tFS, but it is in the rest of the universe)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->