NYU: Gallatin School of Individualized Study, New York

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a high school senior. I'm interested in the fashion industry, but I would like a broad education, not just a fashion school. I'm appying to the Gallatin school at NYU. For those of you who don't know, it's basically where you make your own major. There's a lot of personal advising and internships are encouraged. What I figure if that I can combine everything I want to do there.

I'm interested in studying marketing, entrepreneupship, a foreign language (french or italian), and art. Oh, and journalism. I want to gain fashion experience through internships. And maybe by taking fashion merchandising classes at my local art institute during the summer.

If I take the above steps, will I be qualified (at least, will I have basic educational requirements) for a job in the fashion industry? I just don't want to tie myself down to one aspect of it. I want to be qualified for many different things.

If anyone has any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

one of the olsen twins was in this program. is the program almost all internships?

I think Gallatin is a pretty good idea for doing both "real" classes and fashion. Being that they only take roughly 170 kids a year though, you should consider looking into some other similar programs. Parsons offers a BAFA program which gets you a regular BA and a BFA (Bachelor's in Fine Arts). Its a 5 year program and you can choose any major from Parsons mixed with any concentration from their undergraduate liberal arts division (which is a lot like Gallatin, but actually provides more freedom in some ways).

Thanks for the responses. I was looking at the parsons site and I couldn't find any information about that program. If there's a link or anything I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a management major concentrating in marketing. I'm doing my internship at one of the big name fashion brands this summer. Basically to open myself up to the fashion aspect of my focusses I do internships in the industry, and follow up on market info. That would be cool if you could study both business and fashion, and have it related in the classroom by a seasoned prof. I think you would only find that specific combo at parsons though.

my best friend got into Gallatin yesterday! its so exciting and im a little jealousss :smile: *great school

I've been researching NYU like crazy lately (I'm applying soon) and I've picked up bits and pieces of Gallatin info. Designing your own curriculum tailored to the fashion industry could be great preparation as well as a great liberal arts base... but the B.A. in "Individualized Study" earned from Gallatin might not be a huge draw on a resume. NYU is great for internships, on the other hand, so maybe that'll balance it out..
:flower:

It seems like that might be a drawback on your resume acctually. "Individualized Study" versus a credible and ranked program at another university. Make your decision based on what you want to get out of your college experience and degree.

When you graduate your degree says, Individualized study with a concentration in...

Not just individualized study.

i know this thread is 2 years old, but coming across it i just need to say that
Gallatin is one of the most highly looked at programs, is incredibly selective and has turned out some of the most successful people in recent years.
kossoyan, i'm not sure how much you know about it, but do look into it before saying to go to a 'credible and ranked program at a another university'. gallatin is a top choice.

^yes since you can also write down in your resume too where you interned :wink:
isn't that just as important. work experience..

if i attended gallatin, is it true that i would be able to take courses at parsons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->