BEST fashion school? -Closed! See Post #1 for Instructions and Related threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda sad that no one mentioned FIDM. I really think my school is underrated. I'm impressed, so far.

I just a few mentions of FIDM, but I keep reading about Parsons, FIT, and non-US schools. I'm most interested in FIDM though. I hear good things and bad things, but no school is perfect.

to be honest i don't think there's really a best fashion school. this may sound crazy, but i think besides curriculum and alumni, you have to "connect" with the school... visit the campus and have a talk with some students. if you're not comfortable at a school, no matter how many big name designers they churn out, then i don't think you'll do good. :flower:

I agree with the above post, and to leapfrog from that I'll say this:

What a lot of you need to do is really ask yourself what you want to learn, how you like to learn, and what school that will accomadate the two in the best way. This often means you need to do a bit of research to see what actually working in the industry demands and asking yourself honestly what you want to eventually do.

Different fashion schools are in a mode that leans toward one aspect of the fashion industry whether it's mass design, high end design, technique, textiles, styling, etc.

Parsons differs from FIT mainly because unlike FIT it trains the students for a more design than technical aspect of the industry. Students learn to sew but are more prepared to become designers and illustrators. Some few will go on to become big names in the high end industry but many will take on assitant jobs at larger and more mainstream companies (Kenneth Cole rather than Cloak or DKNY rather than Proenza Schouler) and many others will go on to companies like Abercrombie or GAP. Their jobs there will be pure design and never have to worry much about construction issues.

FIT is geared more towards the technical side. While it does have a fashion course, even that is technical. You find in the later ends of it subjects such as knitting engineering and children wear semantics being taught. There are even more nut and bolt courses such as Patternmaking, Menswear, and certificate programs in leather, haute couture, and women's tailoring. These people often to go on to find jobs with high ends designers like Marc Jacobs or Narciso Rodriguez, not as designers but sample makers and pattern makers. These are the people that take the sketches, flats, and story boards and then must figure out how to make them and then produce samples.

That isn't to say you can't go to either school and do the other type of job, or even do a completely different type of job I didn't talk about. It just means the school's way of working and curriculum caters towards this. And I really simplified it, a lot of schools mix the two approches or contain some element of the other.

Another mode that is popular with large univerisities is the focus on the textiles of fashion. My school does a lot of textile work but in the science areas. Like chemistry for dying, computer programming for production, knitting technology, and textile testing for flammability and chemical finishes. They also have a merchandising section but that is geared more toward mass market and low end business thather than buying for a small boutique or even a deparment store.

Central St.Martins has a textile course but their focus is more on the artistic exploitation of material. Students learn about textile technical knowledge but spend more time in the studio rather than the lab. These students go on to become knitwear designers for high end labels (Chanel Knits Department) or do print design (Eley Kishimoto), etc.

Take it all in stride. You can go to any school and still be succesful. For years FIT was never considered as good as parsons but recently you'll find more and more FIT grads making a splash like Francisco Costa and David Szeto.

And you'll find that even if you go to a famous school like Central St.Martins you could end up being a belt designer at Abercrombie.

^ that was very helpful, and i agree especially with the last few sentences. i think that's where people get confused. a lot of students (not all students, of course) judge schools based on alumni. that's good of course, because even i did it. but some of these same kids think that because they get to mentor with big name designers or attend the same school that these designers attend, they'll become the next big ticket, too. you can become a big ticket by never even going to fashion school, just look at the trovata boys.

Hi... 1st time poster here!
I live in the south of England, and am applying for an art foundation for 06. The best places in my opinion if you want to go on and study design in this region are LCF which i loved and Ravensbourne in Kent.
I never liked CSM as much as the others because i felt it was more suited to fine art students (and they told my friend who applied to do an art foundation that they couldn't accept her because her work was mounted on black, not white) which is of course ridiculous considering the massive amount of talent she has... :innocent:
Chelsea looked good to me too, although they mainly focus on textiles and knitwear, not design.
I guess it depends what you are applying for and maybe what you want to study at degree level...
....I have my interview at LCF next Wednesday! Wish me luck:P

i think my CSM thread got deleted or something

can someone please tell me what they are looking for for portfolio?
do they want high academics?
just any application info would be wonderful

muxu said:
i think my CSM thread got deleted or something

can someone please tell me what they are looking for for portfolio?
do they want high academics?
just any application info would be wonderful
and to add to that
how hard is it to get in there? as in international students

well..it doesnt matter which school really(between csm, parsons and fit)
it all depends on the student
but parsons and csm really does have the bigger name in the industry

hey!! i go to american intercontinental university in FL ... I love it! and I've learned soooooo much from them... They are located all over so you might wanna check them out :smile:

muxu said:
and to add to that
how hard is it to get in there? as in international students

well..it doesnt matter which school really(between csm, parsons and fit)
it all depends on the student
but parsons and csm really does have the bigger name in the industry

there are a LOT of students in my class that left parsons to come here (csm) thats kind of wierd but they say that there school is too technical and less design

thats funny victim, im thinking of transferring there after my freshman year at parsons. I know I havent even gone yet (parsons), but I didnt think I was ready to move out of the US so soon.

but if you do a year there then move here you'll be in the first year again? - i think thats how it works

I think i'll be applying directly to fashion design, according to the person I talked to, since I would have already completed my foundation at parsons.

Do Not Attend Aiu-florida!

iTzBro0kieBaby said:
hey!! i go to american intercontinental university in FL ... I love it! and I've learned soooooo much from them... They are located all over so you might wanna check them out :smile:
:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
I am sorry to say but AIU-Florida is the worst school to ever attend. I know this b/c I started there first for 9 months and didn't learn a damn thing. Instead I transferred to AIU- London which was such a big difference in curriculum and atmosphere. This campus was all about you learning and realizing if the fashion industry would be for you. It was so intense I was ashamed to even ask questions in my classes due to the lack of knowledge a 9 month student should have, AIU- Florida will not be ready for people who are designers, illustrators and even stylist b/c their lack of teachers. AIU- Florida was a new program when I started and that was in 2004. I know if you want to really learn and experience anything in the fashion field do not attend this school look else where please. I really don’t want to offend anyone but if you graduate from this school not only will you be inexperienced you would be waisting your time and money. Besides this school is for lazy students- to be frank. And for the person/peoples who give props to this campus please look to attend somewhere else if you are looking about being a designer and or illustrator. Please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... I'm from Sydney, Australia. Anyone heard of/has attended Whitehouse Institute of Design? If so, what's it like? I got a scholarship to a short holiday course for this year so... I'm pretty curious :smile:

i'm new here so sorry if this has all been asked before but....
i'm 16 and i'm about to do my GCSEs and then going on to 6th form to do art,history etc for 3 a-levels and then hopefully after i'm going to go to centarl st martins to study fashion.
Just wondering what grades do you nedd to get in?
And is it very selective, do only the elite get in?
and any other info would be great
thanks
:D

serenade said:
Well... I'm from Sydney, Australia. Anyone heard of/has attended Whitehouse Institute of Design? If so, what's it like? I got a scholarship to a short holiday course for this year so... I'm pretty curious :smile:

:blush: I'm in Sydney ,too!
I heard Whitehouse Institute is a leading fashion school in Australia
haven't attended any course there,tho

still, how great it is to have won a scholarship to a fashion course:lol:

naked-eye said:
:blush: I'm in Sydney ,too!
I heard Whitehouse Institute is a leading fashion school in Australia
haven't attended any course there,tho

still, how great it is to have won a scholarship to a fashion course:lol:

:flower:. It isn't anything major, it's just a short introductory course in fashion design. I'm 15, so I can't do anything bigger than that, hehe :lol:. But I've seen some portfolios of the students that go there and wow... their work is really amazing.

i got into LCF but i've heard such baddd reviews about it... :-(
now i don't know where to go..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"