Best Sunscreen

zoelemon

Reaction score
I use oil of olay spf 20 on my face.Do I need more and for exposed arms etc...do you guys put sunscreen on everyday?

i use kiehls spf25 everyday

but 20 is fine

put a little on your hands and forearms, but everything else should be ok

DONT forget.....all of your neck.........and EARS (most important) or when ur old you will look bizarre

I use #50 when I am gardening or on my bike. The one I have is "Water Babies" brand and it smells kind of bad and is very, very greasy, but I would rather smell funky and feel greasy and sticky than get a sunburn.

I use the Olay #20 as a regular moisturizer, however. I like that it doesn't have much scent. It makes my skin a little too oily, but I will cope.

ON MY face I use oil of olayspf 20 for sensitive skin ad it doesn't clog my pores or make my skin greasy AT ALL. I love it. I was hoping they would come out with a higher spf for the face and body (sensitive skin) for outdoor activities.

Besides oil of olay for your face, Lancome has a good moisturizer with sunscreen in it... it's called Hydrafresh.

Originally posted by zoelemon@May 16th, 2004 - 1:10 pm
ON MY face I use oil of olayspf 20 for sensitive skin ad it doesn't clog my pores or make my skin greasy AT ALL. I love it. I was hoping they would come out with a higher spf for the face and body (sensitive skin) for outdoor activities.
I use Olay on my face as a moisturizer most days (unless I forget :blush: ) and I love it ( :wub: ). They also have SPF 30 (I've seen commercials, anyway). Is that high enough for you, zoe?

During the summer and/or when I'm actually going to spend a good amount of time in the sun, I use no less than SPF 30 (mostly on anything that's exposed).

It is very important to not forget your ears. I know someone who sails frequently and he got suncancer on his ear!! The only place he forgot to put sunscreen :blink:

I think you should use enough sunscreen so that you go through the bottle fast enough. People sometimes ask "hey is this still good?" a year later- a definite sign that you aren't using enough!

Also- don't forget your hands, hands can be a reflection of character just as the face- you don't want them all spotty and ick. :yuk:

Originally posted by luna@May 16th, 2004 - 1:17 pm
Besides oil of olay for your face, Lancome has a good moisturizer with sunscreen in it... it's called Hydrafresh.
How expensive is that one? How strong of SPF? I would like to try something different, as the Olay does seem to make my skin awfully greasy.

factor 65 for me .... vichy for babies
it makes me smell like roasted chicken, well at least i feel like it does... n is thickish n kinda bluey... i think there is tiny peices of metal in it so it reflects the sun away from me or something....
im with as u... i wear it cos i dun wonna end up super dark... i hate it wen i am tanned, i wud rather look like a zombie than a cooked human

make sure the sunscreen you are using is broad spectrum meaning it provides adequate protection against both UVA and UVB rays. Check the packaging for a list of active ingredients including Titanium Dioxide, avobenzone, zinc oxide, mexoryl sx.

There is absolutely no point in wearing a sunscreen if it doesnt protect against both UVA and UVB rays.. regardless of how high the SPF may be.

Sun Protection Factor is only an indication of how well it protects against UVB rays (the ones that cause only a shortterm effect of sunburn) and it says nothing about UVA rays (the real horrible stuff which damages DNA and leads to permanent damage).

in Japan/Asia they have an excellent system of classifying the UVA factor of a sunscreen, the PA+++ system. It is advisable you choose a sunscreen which has at least a PA++.

In Europe, they have a PPD system for classifying UVA factor. PPD8-10 is protective, 11-20 is very protective and 20+ is most protective.

In Australia, the TGA I think it is issues a standards code for sunscreens and those printed with a AUST Lxxxxx (x=number) are deemed to provide adequate UVA protection.

I believe America is the only country without a system but I think they are working on changing it.

So make sure, it's not just SPF you should be looking at when choosing a sunscreen :wink:

(sorry to type in bold but i believe it's very important and the number of people who don't know this is quite astonishing.

Originally posted by PradaP@May 16th, 2004 - 11:02 pm
make sure the sunscreen you are using is broad spectrum meaning it provides adequate protection against both UVA and UVB rays. Check the packaging for a list of active ingredients including Titanium Dioxide, avobenzone, zinc oxide, mexoryl sx.

There is absolutely no point in wearing a sunscreen if it doesnt protect against both UVA and UVB rays.. regardless of how high the SPF may be.

Sun Protection Factor is only an indication of how well it protects against UVB rays (the ones that cause only a shortterm effect of sunburn) and it says nothing about UVA rays (the real horrible stuff which damages DNA and leads to permanent damage).

in Japan/Asia they have an excellent system of classifying the UVA factor of a sunscreen, the PA+++ system. It is advisable you choose a sunscreen which has at least a PA++.

In Europe, they have a PPD system for classifying UVA factor. PPD8-10 is protective, 11-20 is very protective and 20+ is most protective.

In Australia, the TGA I think it is issues a standards code for sunscreens and those printed with a AUST Lxxxxx (x=number) are deemed to provide adequate UVA protection.

I believe America is the only country without a system but I think they are working on changing it.

So make sure, it's not just SPF you should be looking at when choosing a sunscreen :wink:

(sorry to type in bold but i believe it's very important and the number of people who don't know this is quite astonishing.
sometimes they only list the SPF and say on the package that it protects against both UVA and UVB rays, for example, Clinique Super City Block SPF 25. so does that mean it actually does NOT protect againt UVA?

Well Clinique is a US brand and so they have no rating system for UVA, the only way you can tell is by reading the ingredients label and checking for a list of it's Active Ingredients

and by the way, dont worry, Super City Block is broad spectrum (active ingredient is titanium dioxide)

hth!

I use Banana Boat Faces SPF 23 Lotion, only $7 at Target.

Originally posted by Dixie@May 19th, 2004 - 3:57 am
I use Banana Boat Faces SPF 23 Lotion, only $7 at Target.
I use that sometimes, too. I like it, actually.

As for other good options: my mom says to look for Parsol in the ingredients. It's supposed to help in the prevention of aging and cancer due to sun damage or something.

I just got a terrible (for me, anyway) burn yesterday because my class 'trip' thing ended up being mostly outside (though we weren't warned of this) with no shade and no optbion to go inside. :angry: I wore a v-neck without sunscreen thinking that we'd be inside for most of the day. I complained to a couple of people when I realized and none of them thought it was that bad until I moved the shirt to the side a bit at my shoulder--at which point it becomes clear that I'm a fair person who really shouldn't be so dark/red. My point is that it doesn't look too bad, but it's bad for me, especially because I'm usually uber-protective of my skin...so does anyone have any tips regarding how to treat sunburn? I haven't had this in so long...Aquaphor seemed to help some.

at the moment i'm using a pore perfecting moisturiser. SPF 15. smells soo good. :heart:

Nivea doesn't write any SPF on the tubes. There is something about UV filter and Vitamine E to protect skin but how strong is it? O_o

Does anyone have an opinion on the best brand of sunscreen? I've never really used much of it before, but I'm going to start now that I've decided I want very fair skin. :heart: I'm looking for something more on the cheapy side, since I plan to use a lot. Thanks!

To me suncreen is sunscreen is sunscreen... all pass the same regulations.

I love love love Banana Boat's sport spray-on sunblock in SPF 30... it's so very easy to put on. I've used it since my days of tennis back in high school... very dependable. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->