Chanel Haute Couture F/W 11.12 Paris

It seems like a good solid winter collection but I agree that it feels like a RTW collection and that there are very few HC pieces.

This collection is so boring, it looks made for frigid people. The fabrics look so heavy and uncomfortable and the accesories :ninja:

peplum is exactly what i fall for recently :heart: but many looks are too heavy for my taste. Does Karl rly want to create a women in such heavy look ?

who has the whole view of the catwalk set in HQ...it's amazing, i want it to be my computer screen :heart:

can anyone upload the show video from chanel.com??

I really don't like or get this collection. That strong-shoulder-peplum-pencil silhouette that seemed to dominate really didn't do anything for me. I could see it maybe working in less substantial fabrics, but in tweed it honestly looks a little bulky. Some of the evening dresses are good, but there's no heart-stopping, breath-taking look to be found. And I hate the styling with every fiber of my being.

Hipster hats, lacey veils, sheer sleeves, slouchy low-heeled boots with everything....*cringe*. I usually hate it when Karl over-styles his collections and this is no exception. The set is gorgeous though.

i had to force myself to look through the whole thing thats how bored i was.

they are beautifully crafted pieces and design. but they are empty.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. This lacks any distinguishing characteristics. You could stick it in any FW collection and it would say oh, another beautifully made coat from Chanel.

The clothes are too granny looking and dowdy I couldn't imagine a younger woman wanting to wear these relics. Unfortunately, the designs have looked like this for the past few years just uninspired.

I just watched the full show at Chanel.com and i thought it was mediocre. It's kind of more of the same at Chanel. Big Collections. Tweed Overload. Older looking outfits. It gets very boring and redundant after a while.

it's quite interesting that some of the same people who criticize chanel for always being the same seem never to apply the same criticism to their own words. clearly, the clothes have changed from season to season, yet they choose to use the exact same words -- too boring, too old, nothing new -- as if the exact same looks just paraded in front of them.

what strikes me about this collection -- especially in such sharp contrast to that tear-jerkingly pure and distilled presentation last season -- remains how on-the-pulse and even reactionary these clothes appear for chanel. one could pull apart these looks and incorporate them in looks as varied as the purple androgynous sparkle look from dolce and gabbana or the spaghetti strapped tank look from balmain or even the loooong long lengths that we've seen championed by houses like the row. but the most notable development in this house came in its nod to the au courant shapeliness that defines the silhouette fall/winter ready to wear. it's at vuitton. it's at miu miu. it's at givenchy. it's at moschino. it's at marc jacobs. and now, it's at chanel.

it's odd to see chanel couture in the passenger seat when it comes to trends like this, but given the near radical change in the development of the chanel jacket, i'll take it.

The clothes are too granny looking and dowdy I couldn't imagine a younger woman wanting to wear these relics. Unfortunately, the designs have looked like this for the past few years just uninspired.

May be true, but Bruno Pavlovsky, head of Chanel Fashion, has been quoted as saying Karl's recent couture collections have brought "exceptional results" and the "sales and number of pieces have significantly increased" in a terrible economy....I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! :wink:

I think Karl just sticked to his aesthetic and the collection is very cohesive IMO.

The gowns, particularly, scream couture!

Finally got around to viewing the collection. It's definitely not the disaster that FW collection was where they had the fur pants, etc, but it's really kind of boring and unexciting. Towards the end there, it seemed like Karl was at least trying to make something interesting, but the first half is just yawn, yawn, yawn.

But the worst thing about the collection is those disguising boots. Just no words. Why is Chanel footwear always so awful?

Last edited by a moderator:
Utherly wearable. I like the ones with colour.
However I don't know how I feel about the boots, they look like stretched leather pants, or idk I'm not crazy about them that's for sure.
And like everyone said the venue was awesome.

^ Yes the clothes are wearable and look "classic" and covers up the body, something that conservative women would wear in a bank. I understand paying homage to the legacy and classics of Chanel but given the heaviness of how the clothes looked they are unflattering to even the thin models. I assume when one runs out of ideas they start looking at the archives to replicate the look of a past era; that's okay just make them look modern because the past is already done with.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion this was so boring and not haute couture at all, at least for the idea of haute couture that I have: it has to make me dream, it has to leave me breathless and shocked by the fabulousness (Givenchy always manage to do this quite well lately I must say :wink:)

And what's this? Plain, boring, almost no difference from the rtw collections.

Ok Chanel can make great jackets, great tweed, great tailleurs... But please, something new? Something more? It's Chanel, it should be the queen of drooling-on-runway-pictures reaction!

Sometimes I feel that Karl is just putting on the runway a slightly revisited idea of the original Chanel concept over and over again, where's the news? Where's the real genius (because I'm sure he is even if sometimes he forgets to show it) that should be able to amaze us with innovative concepts in the respect of the tradition and the luxe of the maison? (Bizance collection aside, that was great imho. I also liked the FW 11-12 rtw, with its rock-chic mood)

I found also the latest Cruise collection quite a lot "WTF?"

Sorry if I seem a bit "extreme" in my opinions, but frankly I'm tired to see this, (which is an average collection imo, not that spectacular) and the press that raves about it like it's a God's masterpiece and much better designers and collections are left in the shadows.
I know there's money involved and everything but still, it' makes me a bit sad :(

Lagerfeld has always transformed classic Chanel into the appropriate, 'current' silhouette, but for several couture seasons I cannot decide whether he is leading the way, or whether he is following and getting it quite wrong.
For couture fall 2010 he showed questionable, inelegant rounded, seamless shoulders and for the next two ready-to-wear seasons the whole world was showing cocoon and rounded shoulders.
Now he is showing what I am going to call 'padded-hanger' shoulders, these are almost horizontal shoulders with a rounded end. The majority of the looks in this collection had a a subtle 'eighties feel to them, maybe only a feel a designer who lived through and designed through the 'eighties could imbue into their clothes. The most reminiscent examples starting with the hanger shoulders, working down to a boxy fit and finishing with a skirt to the knee.
While an awful sting comes with the shapeless tuxedo coat-dresses (also very 'eighties) the absolute gems of this collection are the little jackets that very smartly fasten at the waist and give way to the lampshade hips which appear to be attached to tops beneath.
Is this the last straw? Will the 1980's be visiting again in the spring thanks to Tom Ford and his womenswear collections? If it is, I can put my faith in Lagerfeld to continue to march on before ready-to-wear with his off the mark couture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoutshonor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->