Christina Applegate battling breast cancer

grenadine

Reaction score
source | news.com.au

ACTRESS Christina Applegate, famed for playing ditzy daughter Kelly Bundy on TV comedy Married ... With Children, is fighting breast cancer, but is expected to make a full recovery.

Applegate, 36, was diagnosed with cancer during a regular MRI, spokeswoman Ame Van Iden said in an email.

"Christina is following the recommended treatment of her doctors and will have a full recovery," Van Iden said.

Applegate, whose mother battled both breast and cervical cancer, has been an advocate for breast cancer research.

She rose to fame in the 1980s on Married ... With Children, won an Emmy for a guest role as Jennifer Aniston's sister on Friends, and now plays an amnesiac in her own sitcom, Samantha Who?

Hope she fights that dreadful, horrible disease.

Last edited by a moderator:
what a bad month for her, fiest her boyfriend dies and now this.
horrible, I hope everything goes well for her.
She is so funny and talented comedianne

Oh no :cry:. She's one of my favs. I hope she gets through this quickly.

what a bad month for her, fiest her boyfriend dies and now this.
horrible, I hope everything goes well for her.
She is so funny and talented comedianne

I know! Talk about having bad luck. I hope she gets better.

I love her show and I was so glad to see she had a great comeback recently. I hope this all works out well for her, she's so young...but breast cancer no longer has to be a death sentence and it's good she got it early.

It's amazing and sad that at such a young age you can develope breast cancer so this should serve as a reminder to us all to remain vigilant in monitoring our bodies.

I used to work as a receptionist at a facility that did mammograms and you wouldn't believe the number of women who b*tch and moan about having to get mammograms. They don't seem to realize that no matter how uncomfortable mammograms are (yes they can hurt, that's the grim reality) they pale in comparison to how horrible it is to be battling breast cancer. I had one breast cancer survivor come up to me who was disgusted about how the other women there were complaining about their mammograms--- she said it's NOTHING compared to actually having the cancer.

Awww I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope she gets better and soon. :wub:

I was shocked when I heard.She's brave,she'll get through this,I'm sure:lucky:

It's amazing and sad that at such a young age you can develope breast cancer so this should serve as a reminder to us all to remain vigilant in monitoring our bodies.

I used to work as a receptionist at a facility that did mammograms and you wouldn't believe the number of women who b*tch and moan about having to get mammograms. They don't seem to realize that no matter how uncomfortable mammograms are (yes they can hurt, that's the grim reality) they pale in comparison to how horrible it is to be battling breast cancer. I had one breast cancer survivor come up to me who was disgusted about how the other women there were complaining about their mammograms--- she said it's NOTHING compared to actually having the cancer.

Thank you for sharing.

I've always complained about getting my yearly (pap smear). Last week I got a call back from my doctor and she said that I have mild dysplasia. Something like this means it could lead to cervical cancer, though chances are things will be fine - they may just entail more frequent visits to the doctor. For a couple of days I was very frightened and things were really put into perspective.

I wish Christina the best. She's always been one of my favorites! It is a battle - if only everybody could be healthy and those that are truly healthy appreciate it.

I didnt know her boyfriend died, terrible! This must be an incredibly hard time for her. I wish her all the best, I can't even imagine what kind of a state she must be in right now.

From IMDB.com:

Applegate Undergoes Double Mastectomy

19 August 2008 9:03 AM, PDT
MV5BMTkxNDg0MDI3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE5OTc1MQ@@._V1._SY90_.jpg

Latest: Actress Christina Applegate has revealed the details of her treatment after successfully battling breast cancer.
The 36-year-old star had both breasts removed following her diagnosis with the deadly illness last month - leaving her "clear" of any tumours.
After testing positive for the breast cancer gene, Applegate opted for the drastic surgery to significantly reduce the risk of the disease returning.
It also means she does not need radiation or chemotherapy treatment.
She tells U.S. breakfast show Good Morning America, "My decision - after looking at all the treatment plans that were possibilities for me - the only one that seemed the most logical, and the one that was going to work for me, was to have a bilateral mastectomy.
"So basically I had prophylactic, double mastectomies, people would say - three weeks ago.
"I didn't want to go back to the doctors every four months for testing, and squishing and everything, I just wanted to kind of be rid of this whole thing - for me. And so this was the choice that I made, and it was a tough one."
The Samantha Who? star is now scheduled to undergo reconstructive surgery to repair her breast tissue over the next eight months.
But Applegate, whose mother is a two-time breast cancer survivor, remains in good spirits - despite having to go back under the knife.
She jokes: "You know, I'm going to have cute boobs when I'm 90 so you know, there's that. I'm going to have the best boobs in the nursing home, I'm telling you. I'm going to be the envy of all the ladies around the bridge table."

http://www.imdb.com/news/ns0000002/#ni0553248

I'm kind of sad that she had to opt for a double mastectomy but that was definitely the right thing to do. I'm glad she's keeping her spirits high. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->