Coach Owner to Buy Parent of Versace in Luxury Mega Merger

The entire brand portfolio under the Tapestry-Capri merger will be:
• Coach
• Jimmy Choo
• Kate Spade
• Michael Kors
• Stuart Weitzman
• Versace

Jimmy Choo is still desirable and is scorching hot right now - ever since thier MK rebrand. I know just from shopping and having eyes many of their spring summer bags sold out. JC has always been a serious name that has always been placed next to Manolo Blahnik and Louboutin.

Coach seems to be having a resurgence with their good press on YT. about how their quality is very high and bags are reasonably priced. Im not shopping at Coach because I dont do any logo and I looked and most of their silhouettes are ugly. If they produced chicer stuff theyd sell more.

Kate Spade is the one with no identity. Its basically Alternate Coach. I have only really seen their jewelry recently and it gave Luxury Trinket energy. Like kitchy, cartoonish but expensive (for costume) jewelry.

Michael Kors Collection atp is a salwart designer label With exceptional quality. I like MK collection because that stuff has the no name look that I like. I also think Americans really connect with his sort of Nouveau American Gothic look. MK should leverage Versace Atelier and add a Haute Couture line.

Stuart Weitzman is barely anything. Luxury Steve Madden. I havent been to a SW store since 2006.

Versace has been a mess for a while. Donatella hasnt made a hit anything since 2005. The recent refocus onto Gianni’s codes seems long coming. The handbag and show redo has been pretty good. Versace barely sells any shoes or accessories. bathrobes and perfume probably pays the bills. Versace is by far the weakest Tier 1 Designer brand in the world.

Last edited:
MK is the best thing that ever happened to Versace since Gianni. The new Versace actually looks like Versace and not whatever crap Donatella comes up with. I dont like Donatella because she tried to compete and replace Giannis codes. Yet Versace not produced a hit since Gianni died. Versace has been running on Gianni hype for 30 years.

FINANCIALLY, maybe MK is better for Versace. Also, saying that Donatella has never had a hit is just objectively false. She's had both creative and commercial hits. Off the top of my head, F/W 06 and S/S11 come to mind. I do think she's incapable of coming close to his branding genius, not even close. And while it's nice to see the brand still 'in the family', her departure is LONG overdue. At the same time, I fear that whoever takes over will just churn out empty Rousteing-adjacent drivel.

The entire brand portfolio under the Tapestry-Capri merger will be:
• Coach
• Jimmy Choo
• Kate Spade
• Michael Kors
• Stuart Weitzman
• Versace

Jimmy Choo is still desirable and is scorching hot right now - ever since thier MK rebrand. I know just from shopping and having eyes many of their spring summer bags sold out. JC has always been a serious name that has always been placed next to Manolo Blahnik and Louboutin.

Coach seems to be having a resurgence with their good press on YT. about how their quality is very high and bags are reasonably priced. Im not shopping at Coach because I dont do any logo and I looked and most of their silhouettes are ugly. If they produced chicer stuff theyd sell more.

Kate Spade is the one with no identity. Its basically Alternate Coach. I have only really seen their jewelry recently and it gave Luxury Trinket energy. Like kitchy, cartoonish but expensive (for costume) jewelry.

Michael Kors Collection atp is a salwart designer label With exceptional quality. I like MK collection because that stuff has the no name look that I like. I also think Americans really connect with his sort of Nouveau American Gothic look. MK should leverage Versace Atelier and add a Haute Couture line.

Stuart Weitzman is barely anything. Luxury Steve Madden. I havent been to a SW store since 2006.

Versace has been a mess for a while. Donatella hasnt made a hit anything since 2005. The recent refocus onto Gianni’s codes seems long coming. The handbag and show redo has been pretty good. Versace barely sells any shoes or accessories. bathrobes and perfume probably pays the bills. Versace is by far the weakest Tier 1 Designer brand in the world.

what are you on? a michael kors couture line? in what world does that make any sense

FINANCIALLY, maybe MK is better for Versace. Also, saying that Donatella has never had a hit is just objectively false. She's had both creative and commercial hits. Off the top of my head, F/W 06 and S/S11 come to mind. I do think she's incapable of coming close to his branding genius, not even close. And while it's nice to see the brand still 'in the family', her departure is LONG overdue. At the same time, I fear that whoever takes over will just churn out empty Rousteing-adjacent drivel.
She definitely had hits… The whole palette cleanser era she had between the late 00´s and early 2010’s and even recently, spring 2016 was good, the Gianni tribute collection too and the FW2018 collection was solid too.

I think that she has succeeded in opening the spectrum of what Versace can be, much like Gianni did, but with her own personality. She has her taste, her aesthetic and somehow Versace still feels modern.

‘I just don’t think she has the creative drive. Versace days as a leader in fashion are gone but the identity is so strong that it’s disappointing to see her chasing trends. We see it with the success of YSL, when the vision is confident, consistent and perfectly executed, you don’t have to chase trends. You might even start some.

Stuart Weitzman is strong at mid-market and they are good at boot catagory. 5050 is a icon model.....

They have Jimmy Choo for high-end market and SW for mid-market now. I hope they could bring some old Choo styles back. After the Capri merge they have cut at least half models, for example they don't offer round toe pumps anymore.

I tend to think of it like an iceberg - the people talking about Coach on the internet are only a fraction of those who are the actual customers of Coach, and their affinity with the brand is based on values other than those prioritised on social media.

The people who buy Coach want dependable quality at a reasonable price. Brands who offer that are currently like oases in a sea full of rubbish. Any move towards becoming yet another overpriced hype brand, and they could pay dearly for it in the long run, even if they get a bump in sales for a few years.

I just don’t think she has the creative drive. Versace days as a leader in fashion are gone but the identity is so strong that it’s disappointing to see her chasing trends. We see it with the success of YSL, when the vision is confident, consistent and perfectly executed, you don’t have to chase trends. You might even start some.
To be honest, the YSL strategy is absolutely genius. It allows for consistency and (relative) authenticity and it probably does wonders for the mindset of the design team to not have to worry about creating a revolution each season. So many designers and houses would benefit from this strategy.
I tend to think of it like an iceberg - the people talking about Coach on the internet are only a fraction of those who are the actual customers of Coach, and their affinity with the brand is based on values other than those prioritised on social media.

The people who buy Coach want dependable quality at a reasonable price. Brands who offer that are currently like oases in a sea full of rubbish. Any move towards becoming yet another overpriced hype brand, and they could pay dearly for it in the long run, even if they get a bump in sales for a few years.
I think that the global issue that mid-market brands like Coach have is that they blend into each other way too easily. When a brand's main message is quality, it can often means that hasn't been much work put into an actual vision for the brand itself.

In Coach's case, the core products look good, but the brand's visuals are all over the place. As a result, it feels like those over-licensed luxury brands in the 80s, before Arnault and Pinault bought them and whipped them into shape. Before they try to focus on becoming a hype brand, they need to revamp their ready-to-wear offerings, streamline the bag offering and give themselves an actual identity beyond quality to support that hype.

344871356_1478931486258997_506043185776219552_n.jpg

(fbcdn.net)

Ugh. To have Galliano and Lacroix back to their own brands...
The owner of Margiela should just buy back the Galliano brand from the Arnault.

It needs to be resurrected. Though the Arnault might be punishing and still bitter towards John Galliano- but whyvm?

The owner of Margiela should just buy back the Galliano brand from the Arnault.

It needs to be resurrected. Though the Arnault might be punishing and still bitter towards John Galliano- but whyvm?
What’s the value of a Galliano brand today for someone to possibly own a brand that never made money and that survived only because of licensing agreements?

‘Galliano would make sense if John Galliano owns that and do his kind of Herve Leger’s « Herve Leroux » operation.

The question is if Galliano would be ready to re-start everything again and also if he is ready to handle the pressure that will come with that name being on the forefront again.

Because today he can hide behind Margiela, he is very protected and the eco-system around him has allowed him to spend 8 peaceful years at Margiela.

And Sydney Toledano has said that he has made peace with Galliano as John reached out to him…

I think that it needs to be an interest for Galliano for Arnault to sell it…If ever John wants to acquire the rights to his name for example rather than resurrecting a brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->