College age women and designer accessories

Twiinkls143

Reaction score
I am doing a story for my college newspaper on college aged students carrying trendy designer accesories. How does the average student afford these items, when the typical moto for a student is usually "poor college kid?" What do you automatically think when you see a young person with an expensive accesorey?What ever happened to the struggling student eating roman noodles? Why do students feel like they have to keep up with older adults with jobs who can afford accesories at high prices when theyre only in school? Any opinions would be appreciated. TIA.

Oh yes.. and I am guilty :rolleyes:

Well, I don't like to generalize, but most of them buy fakes. I think I've read an article somewhere about college girls going to Canal Street and getting their bags there.

Twiinkls143 said:
What do you automatically think when you see a young person with an expensive accesorey?

Honestly, I think "Fake!". Especially if the rest of their outfit/style seems cheap. I tend to question how they can afford a thousand dollar plus bag, but are walking around in torn sweatpants, and a mall tshirt. Generally, people who are collectors of the real deal, tend to show their fashion sense and creativity through their entire outfit as well.

What I think is, ah, Daddy's money :P

At my school girls tended to carry either Speedies (sometimes with quite a bit of wear, I assumed these were hand-me-downs from Mom) or Dooney & Bourke (back when the brand had more credibility than it does now). Perhaps this was before the era of the It bag, or perhaps we had more classic tastes :P

Twiinkls143 said:
What do you automatically think when you see a young person with an expensive accesorey?

Fake.

If not fake, then tacky. Most people who get designer bags get it bags, which I hate more than anything.

It depends I think. Depends on (a) where you are (eg. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in London where many rich international students are), and (b) how you carry it off.
Sure, some college kids may wear tracksuits while carrying an "it" bag, but it depends how they carry themselves.

As well, I would go further to say that adults are just as likely to carry fakes as college kids are. I've seen many a fake Balenciagas and LVs on womens' arms. :innocent:

I think most of it comes from ah yes, the parents. Or their part time job money saved up. I am college age but working full time and will return to uni hopefully this next spring smeester or the following winter one and I will be using my Muse as my book bag. But I have more disposable income at the moment being that I work full time. So it depends. fyi - it's ramen noodles :flower:

I know for myself at least i comes from money I have saved up and also most of it comes from gifts from my parents. I only have two designer bags ( Bottega and Balenciaga ) but most of my designer stuff is clothing and shoes which isnt easily noticed as being designer ( I like this bc I dont want to look like a spoiled brat around my other friends and students who pay for most everything themselves).

I dont know why college-aged students feel like the need to keep up with adults, but I dont see it as keeping up. I mean - most of the trendy stars these days are around college-aged. I dont consider too many "adults" to be trendy. Some of them wear classy, classic items and ensembles but the trends seem to be set by young girls in hollywood anyway.

Also, I am most likely working in the fashion industry (possible job at elie tahari - wish me luck!!), so i feel like i should look like i am aware of the fashions going on today.

good idea for an article though!! best of luck!

Credit Cards.
Credit Card companies target college and other young kids...

I have two designer bags (Balenciaga city and Marc Jacobs Venetian that I use as a bookbag) that I bought with money saved from summer jobs, graduation money, and birthday/Christmas money.

I also am NOT one of those college kids that wears tracksuits to class! But I do always feel over-dressed. I have a lot of low-end designer clothes like designer jeans (Acne, Superfine, J Brand, etc.) and Marc Jacobs tops, stuff like that.

I guess the reason why I have expensive clothes for my age (I'm a junior undergrad) is because I look at clothes as an investment. I started buying higher quality clothing in high school because I knew I'd wear it longer than if I bought a high volume of cheap clothing that I'd wear once or twice. Where my peers would buy 20 tops from Forever 21, I'd buy a pair of Sevens. Over time, my wardrobe has accumulated and I still wear stuff I bought years ago.

I don't feel as though I do this because I want to "keep up" with adults, but rather because I look at clothing as an investment. I only buy expensive items that are classics (think black blazers, a little black dress, etc.); trendy items I buy from high street stores like Zara or Urban Outfitters.

As a side note, there are lots of girls at my university that wear tracksuits and carry real designer bags, but it's mostly due to the fact that there are a lot of wealthy students at my school and the fact that they want something designer, but don't have a true interest in fashion. Like, they see a bag a celeb carrying in US Weekly and then they buy it.

So.. your opinions can a logo bag be carried og classy or is it just tacky?

I sometimes find it tacky but thats because some young people think that their bag is 'enough' and that they dont need to make an effort with the rest.

^ I have only seen petite Japanese women make the Monogram Speedy (and only the Speedy) look classy. Nothing else.

Plastic'sWife said:
Credit Cards.

Good mention. I agree with credit cards.
And parents.

Where I went to school, at a large university in Iowa, I really didn't have the eye for designer... as I don't think a lot of the girls did, either...

I know I didn't show for nearly two years straight in college. My freshman year I didn't have a job... just went to classes, ate Ramen noodles for lunch, and used my savings for the eventual take-out dinner. Things improved in my third (and final) year... I had a PT job and spent money on bars and eating out.

i'm 20 and my family is well-off but by no means rich, but i do have several designer bags and a few pairs of nice shoes...i've gotten a few for birthday/christmas presents but mostly i save up to buy them from summer jobs. for clothes i tend to buy forever21 or vintage so if i have money it goes to a bag or shoes, and i think that's how a lot of girls do it!

P.Peach said:
Honestly, I think "Fake!". Especially if the rest of their outfit/style seems cheap. I tend to question how they can afford a thousand dollar plus bag, but are walking around in torn sweatpants, and a mall tshirt. Generally, people who are collectors of the real deal, tend to show their fashion sense and creativity through their entire outfit as well.

Exactly!! Its all about what they are wearing with it. Your 1k bag isnt real with your flipflops an(badly styled) cheap outfit or sweats an college tees. A lot of college girls dont get it. Its called an accessory for a reason! If your going to front with a fake bag, have a nicely styled outfit so ppl think its real.
But then I know some girls that age (but have great taste) that carry Real Marc Jacobs,LV,& Chanel.(an some arent from wealthy families)

Im out of college and working full time and I don't even think I can afford that nice of things with bills I have to pay. But when I do end up spending the cash, I know I deserve it

Diorling said:
^ I have only seen petite Japanese women make the Monogram Speedy (and only the Speedy) look classy. Nothing else.

Well I happen to love the new stephen bag.. I think it's called, I find it utterly chic.

I don't know.. I'm feeling monogram is making a comeback.. i have seen a lot of fashion people in Paris wear it.

Where i went to college a designer bag was a given. And I guess I would be part of the "tacky" crowd that carried my designer bags with my juicy jumpsuits to lab almost every day. I lived in tracksuits in college cause I lived in the lab and my bags went with me everywhere. But in general most bags come from daddy's money and part time jobs.

Though, one of the things my best friends and I would do is play spot the fake sometimes at parties and it was amazing how many real Coach/Db bags there were, but how many fax LV/Fendi etc...We noticed a big drop off on real vs. fake when you got to a certain price range..

Though these are just one girls experiences...

I don't assume a bag is fake - no matter what the person is wearing - unless I KNOW it's fake. I'm pretty good at picking out fakes and a lot of times, yes the person carrying a real one is wearing ratty sweats and flip flops. I mean - students want to be comfortable at school!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrigitteXCX
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->