David Sims - Photographer

Estella*

a dim capacity for wings
Reaction score
mullet, i found out who's responsible for the beautiful jil sander ads with elise crombez:woot:

from showstudio.com
sims.jpg

Biography

David Sims is a British fashion photographer. Sims began by assisted photographers Robert Erdmann and Norman Watson, then went on to join photographer's agency M.A.P. and worked with a number of their clients. In 1993, 2000 and 2001 Sims signed one-year exclusive contracts to Harper's Bazaar (USA). He also photographs for W magazine, The Face, Arena, i-D, L'Uomo Vogue, Arena Homme Plus, Vogue Homme International, British Vogue and Dazed & Confused. His advertising clients include Calvin Klein (he shot the first campaign for Calvin Klein Jeans), Pepsi, Gap, Prada, Helmut Lang, Yohji Yamamoto, Levis, Louis Vuitton, Jil Sander, Hugo Boss, Rimmel, Givenchy, BCBG and Nike.

Selected Exhibitions

Solo exhibition, Zwemmer Gallery, London.

Selected Awards

1994 and 1996 twice awarded 'Young Fashion photographer of the Year' by the Festival de la mode.

i'm not finding too many pictures at the moment though, only on bw.greyscale. does anyone know his agency's site or can find a portfolio?

:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
:woot: thank you. anna!!!. come to think of it..the sun and well, the whole lighting in that ad is so him, i always associate his work with surfing..maybe because he's really into it :P :heart:

thanks for posting these! love the björk portraits and i agree with you on the light. so do you really think this davidsimsphotography.com is the david sims? i was so turned off by the site layout:doh:
(and please don't forget to credit the pictures, thank you!)

i credit the good ol' google for the pics :lol:

I'm not sure about the other website..it does look kinda cheap. from what i understand, he's sort of obsessed with surfing, there was an article about it in some Bazaar from 2003. i figured maybe that site was dedicated to his hobby and not so much about his work..but i know nothing anyway :unsure:

gorgeous:heart:

It has a fresh and pure feeling

thank you m-o-m :heart:
and thanks for the pictures, a.t. and welcome :flower:

Raf Simons. David Sims presents Isolated Heroes

stevie.jpg

1701_4591.jpg

Isolated Heroes
An exhibition by Raf Simons. Photography by David Sims

The series of photographs, collected under the banner 'Isolated Heroes', are the result of the collaboration British photographer David Sims and Belgian menswear designer Raf Simons undertook in the summer 1999.
Featured on the pictures are Raf Simons’ models, dressed in his collection for Spring-Summer 2000; Each boy is credited with a serial number and his own first name. 'Isolated Heroes' both black and white and colour photographs.

This collaboration was not a chance meeting. Both Sims and Simons had been outspoken about their mutual admiration, mostly press interviews. Although the interest in each other's work developed into firm friendship, they only decided to work together in the wake of Simons' Spring-Summer 2000-collection. Originally intended as a work-in-progress, Sims' photographs of Simons' models soon became a body of work it's own right.

The photographs of 'Isolated Heroes' were never intended for more promotional purposes. They even transcend more traditional photography, as they reach for a timeless quality, devoid of signs of the times or traces of tenderness. The pictures encapsulate both Sims' photography and Simons' vision with clarity and precision. The 'Isolated Heroes'-project deals with beauty, youth, masculinity and the perfect isolation of all these preoccupations. Above all, the series are about individuality, the keyword that sets both Sims' photography and Simons' designs apart within their own specific fields. Sims and Simons share the same notions of aesthetics: honest, untouched, pure and real.

From the start of his career, in early nineties, the pictures of David Sims made a huge impact on fashion photography in general. His stark and direct images contrasted with the depictions of exotic glamour and extravagant luxury, the common staple of most fashion magazines. He injected fashion photography with a dose of realism and empathy, never patronizing, always sympathizing. Most importantly, his use of non-professional models (mostly culled from his circle of friends) made the industry re-evaluate the dictum of beauty.

In his own right, Raf Simons also changed men's fashion. More than just presenting clothing items, he created a world of his own, incorporating fashion, video, music, photography and art. Endearingly honest about his influences (youth culture, behavioural codes) his work, now spanning over seven years, draws on feelings and attitudes. His seasonal presentations feature only one-off teenage models, cast from the streets of Antwerp; in using them, Simons not only pleads for a democratic notion of humanity and beauty, but he also links his designs with the original inspirations.

Not one of the portrayed boys in 'Isolated Heroes' is a professional model. They are either too 'strange' or too 'ordinary' to fit the mould of supermodels. Yet, through the eyes of Sims and Simons, they are made visible, without the aid of gimmicks or theatrical enhancements. 'Isolated Heroes' is a sequence of faces and expressions, mindful boys and stern young men, their gaze fixed. They express nothing but their own personality; they give everything away but their own thoughts. The photographs don't make them more beautiful, as in traditional (fashion) portraiture; each face is a peaceful vindication of modern perception of beauty, a resolute alternative to the clichéd glorification of male strength.

1701_4593.jpg

1701_4595.jpg

1701_4594.jpg

1701_4592.jpg

This looks interesting. Anyone knows more links to the exhibition or/and the book?

:woot: thanks a lot for bringing this in, butbeautiful.

looks like the entire exhibition would've been interesting to see, these fourth pics look very pure and clean.

i also demand pictures or links ^_^ .

I wish Raf Simons has an enhibition here in the US.

oh while googling and posting pictures for this thread, something came into my mind subconsciously -

074.jpg

they certainly are in the same culture or something. the heidi slimane, pete doherty..

this certainly freaks me out anytime. :doh:

i found out that most of his shots are face shots.

see the project, 'Isolated Heroes' he has collaborated with Raf Simons, it's also face shot.

He's really been cleaning out with the campaigns lately. He's done Balenciaga since fall 2002, Dior Homme for the past two seasons, and Jil Sander ads (this season included) that are nothing short of amazing. There's such a strong energy in his work that I think many people find refreshing.

P.S. The surfing shot in post #4 is not by him. And www.davidsimsphotography.com is not his website. The photography on that site is awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->