Fashion with a Focus Eco-Ethical-Organic-Sustainable-Enviromental

Full disclosure, I'm not fully vegan. I only eat meat or fish maybe once-twice a week at most, and it started with small steps.

I don’t want to discourage you, Benn… However— not everybody is capable of going full vegan. I’m very fortunate in that I’ve never craved meat/fowl/fish as long as I can remembermber. I choose to eat fish and fowl, and if someone is serving red meat, it’s not a big deal for me to indulge in their offerings out of respect, just that I don’t eat red meat by choice. People are all very different in their physiological makeup: Some are born strict herbivores; some are voracious carnivores, and most are omnivores. Just like some are gay/straight/bi etc but will indulge in their sexual curiosity for some time at some time in their life. You can talk yourself into being a strict herbivore all you want— like those “converted” ex-gayz/ex-bis are convinced that they’re only into women by the grace of god (LOL)... but if you’re a true carnivore— like if you’re a red-blooded gay, it’s not going to last. Consuming more conscientiously/responsibly would be more healthy all around than feigning offence and horror when it comes to meat/fowl/fish/skins/leathers.

Anyway, just another greedy corporation doing business with another greedy corporation. There are many humane organizations I can respect, but PETA is not one of them. Ever since I was little and saw one of their founders fingerwagging the commoners with their taste for red meat and leather clothing— only to be called out for wearing leather shoes… He shrugged it off as “I didn’t have anything else to wear lulz.” It’s too typical of these privileged people: That Greta child being the latest of the do-as-I-lecture-and-not-as-I-do hypocrites just enforces that these people are as much of charlatans as those Jesus freaks begging the witless to send money to God.

I eat meat and genuinely enjoy every minute of me.. eating meat. But it's frankly something I cannot rationalize and that upsets me.. I naturally like animals who don't look like me way more than the animals who do look like me so.. why do I eat the ones I like, right? you might as well eat a co-worker you detest :lol:.. so.. it's complicated, and no amount of guilt-tripping or praise ('good for you eating meat, f*ck people who shame you!') is going to help me, I'm on a trip of my own haha

I am lucky enough to be the kind of person that can happily live without meat for a long time.. I grew up eating a ton of veggies in a place where thankfully everything grows, so it's not like a radical change of lifestyle or any sacrifice, just.. no meat in the freezer means you'll cook with something else, pretty simple and no, I'm not 'hungry' later because I do know how to cook.

Anyway, I like H&M, esp their nail polish. Zara's good for basics and they last for a long time. I think I'm good tolerating snobbery but there's a certain amount, when people let their inner classicism and social climbing thirst flourish, when being dismissive towards clothing stores just feels so... pathetic, and shameful, and while I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, I always go back to thinking it's a mindset that pollutes society in a very different way than carbon emissions, but ultimately worse since it's words and behavior directly impacting those around you just for having different life conditions and being able to access things you, for no good reason really, consider 'beneath' you, cause it's certainly not 'beneath' others and whatever criticism is not for their own benefit.

I did watch a documentary on these stores (H&M, Zara) a few days ago on Deutsche Welle.. nothing new but one thing that got my attention and it's usually something that comes up in these stories and then debates but almost as a consequence of these companies and not the other way around, is the reckless type of consumerism people practice.

They were talking about how the average German buys around 26 kgs of clothing annually, only ends up wearing about 40% (or some crazy percentage like that) and naturally discards a ton, which ends up in countries like Romania and Bulgaria, where people will buy used clothes instead of firewood because it's cheaper, and these clothes have a lot of plastic particles so next thing you know, it smells like burned plastic, and it pollutes, etc. My question is: WHY are people buying 26 kgs of clothing per year?! :wacko: (I'm sure the number is worse in the US).. I've never weighed my clothes but that sounds like a two coats, three pairs of jeans (or something heavy like that) plus.. 20 new tops? just trying to eyeball this :lol:. I doubt the quality is any factor on this (unless people use their clothes as napkins or for cleaning tables, most things.. last quite a bit?), I'm sure that if they had disposable income for shopping luxury labels at the same rate, they would do it. I think it's related to the value we place on image, on how important it is that we come off as people who are 'synched' with the times or know 'what's cool', and of course the kick we get out of 'newness', and how repetitiveness seems like a symbol of losing purpose and status. These stores, through affordability, simple facilitate a problem that runs much deeper.

I still happen to remember the days before these stores were within my reach or the reach of my friends and I remember there were always girls who had A TON of clothes, all one-time charm type of s*it, and it was seen as admirable.. any criticism was immediately filed as 'jealousy'. Given the chance, I think everyone would've tried to amass a similar amount of clothes and now they can.

In short, I think the behavior towards shopping is a much bigger problem that would remain with or without H&M or Zara. Will putting alcohol in the house of an alcoholic exacerbate a problem? yes, but that doesn't change the root of the problem. This type of consumerism can be seen in the way people do groceries as well, not in quantity (and simply because they lack the Kardashian's 4 fridges and 12 shelves, I promise you! :lol:), but definitely in the way people quickly jump into trends and must eat that now. Not saying these stores are not ruthless companies who operate under despicable conditions, but I think blaming them exclusively for a larger problem is misguided and it liberates people from the responsibility of learning about the type of rampant capitalism we're all in now and that we can't stop unless the gigantic companies (oil, etc) do it or at least let go of the grip they have on media, which is what ultimately dictates what's aspirational and what's laughable and antisocial.

Last edited:
I don't know if anything this says makes sense bc I am losing my mind so tl;dr I hate it here.

It is true that big companies are merely taking advantage of the fact that people want stuff. But people wanting stuff to the extreme started from somewhere. I guess that is what many people have been fighting against for a loongggg time. This deep rooted problem is just the catastrophic side effect of keeping the rich, rich and keeping the poor, poor. Hopefully this analogy makes sense, but these fashion companies remind me of the Sackler family on a larger scale with a slower burn. Hooking people on a drug for $, and everyone's life is just collateral damage. Then being able to skip away in the end with zero consequences aside from a slap on the wrist by their friends. And companies pushing the fashion drug is even easier to sustain because the dopamine rush is so addictive and the negative side affects don't come on that quickly. Altho they seem to be starting to catch up now. If slowly burning the earth down to create products for people to consume keeps those wealthy people wealthy for x amount of time, then I guess thats how it's gonna go. Or until the next thing they think of comes around. I hate being so pessimistic but I kind of feel hopeless with this because social media is going nooooowhere. And I don't see any companies not taking advantage of that. Like ever. It's too easy. We all can communicate at hyper speed what the problem is, but how can we even begin to turn around with the current momentum we've got going? We're gonna be toast before we know it lol. I'm gonna be marble rye

Benn, my issue with PETA is #1, they apparently don't believe in domesticated animals, I believe they view it as a form of slavery. Their 'answer' is euthanasia. Their 'shelters' involve huge freezers ... not my idea, or hopefully anyone's idea, of what shelter for an animal means. Google it and see what I mean. Second, I don't like their combativeness and overall attitude. They put you in mind of your least favorite vegan.

There will always be cruel people, and so there will always be cruelty to animals (and other people)--it's a gateway crime as I hope we all understand by now. But there was a time when farming was ethical--that was the default. It's a sad statement about ourselves if we believe humans suck so much that we cannot have decent, humane wool production and therefore must get rid of it. Should we not learn to be decent?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->