First Models on the Catwalk

gaucherive

Reaction score
firstface.JPG

This is one of the most coveted spots that any model would hope for, aside, of course, from campaigns, eds and that elusive magazine cover. It says a lot of the model who goes out first on the best runways during fashion weeks. It is a privilege to be singled out among the best. To set the pace, to set the mood, although already rehearsed, still as the first face on the catwalk she/he somehow has a bearing on the outcome of the show. She/he starts the engine and hope that it will be one heck of a ride.:heart: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
gemma ward -probably the one who opened most shows for fall 05
gemma.jpg

www.style.com

here she is opening the fall 05 shows of:
chanel, chloe, christian dior, donna karan

daria
daria.jpg
stam
stam.jpg
raquel z.
raquel.jpg

all photos: www.style.com

opening the shows of carolina herrera, bcbg max azria and balenciaga respectively:

actress chloe sevigny for dolce gabbana
kirsty owens for fendi
elena s (city) for giambattista valli
caroline winberg for D&G

photos: www.style.com

anne catherine lacroix @ celine
solange wilvert @ emanuel ungaro
nataliya gotsii @ chado ralph rucci
kim noorda @ hussein chalayan

www.style.com

I have been wondering about that for a while. Why do 'we' make such a big thing about who opens or closes a show. I mean, I make a big thing out of it myself too, but I don't know why, really. It's just another girl on the runway... thoughts?

:shock: now why didnt i think of this gaucherive! first model out on the runway. yes mr dale is right, there is a great deal of fascination towards who goes out or last on the catwalk. probably as gaucherive said, they sort of set a standard as to how the the rest of the girls ought to present her look. the first one out is sort of acting as a leader of the band, setting the trend, setting the rhythm. and most first faces are also those who are on the top so i guess designers have that fascination as well coz they always use a-list models to come out first. what do you think ppl?:wink:

...and the first/last faces always get to put on the best outfit. so there is some sort of pressure put upon the first model out to really embody and showcase what the whole collection is all about.:wink:

00010m.jpg
00010m.jpg

00010m.jpg

Lily Donaldson(Marilyn)
Lanvin, Rochas, Stella McCartney
style.com

Madame Elle said:
:shock: now why didnt i think of this gaucherive! first model out on the runway. yes mr dale is right, there is a great deal of fascination towards who goes out or last on the catwalk. probably as gaucherive said, they sort of set a standard as to how the the rest of the girls ought to present her look. the first one out is sort of acting as a leader of the band, setting the trend, setting the rhythm. and most first faces are also those who are on the top so i guess designers have that fascination as well coz they always use a-list models to come out first. what do you think ppl?:wink:
I think that makes a lot of sense. When your reading something for example, its always the first and last sentences / parts that stick in your mind - or at least they're the ones meant to make the lasting impression (lol or when you try and to make your introductions and conclusions on research papers perfect :innocent: :lol: ) so it definitely would make sense that a lot of importance would be placed on which model gets to open and/or close a show :blush:

Great thread btw gaucherive :flower:

vlada @ jil sander
jessica stam @ kenzo
nataliya gotsii @ keneth cole
kim noorda @ marc by marc jacobs

www.style.com

gaucherive said:
vlada @ jil sander
jessica stam @ kenzo
nataliya gotsii @ keneth cole
kim noorda @ marc by marc jacobs