Glasgow shopping?

etceteraism

Reaction score
I'm headed to see my fam in Glasgow in a couple of days, and I'm looking for some good places to shop.

I already have Topshop/Miss Selfridges/Office on my list-as well as the Vivienne Westwood store (does anyone know if they-or any store-carries the pirate boots?)

I'm wondering if there are some good places to look for local designers or small boutiques-I know Buchanan street has all the high street shops-but it would be nice to check out some of the local talent as well.

I hear it's snowing there right now...is that supposed to continue the next couple of weeks? I hope not!

Hi there, I'm not in Glasgow at the moment but I've been staying there this year... the Vivienne Westwood store should have the pirate boots, I think all of them do.
From what I've heard, Merchant City is the place for small boutiques. (http://www2.seeglasgow.com/shopping/AZ_Designer.asp)

It snows from time to time there but it melts very quickly too. It's definitely gonna be cold and rainy there so dress warm!

Enjoy your time there! :flower:

Hiya, I'm from Glasgow and it's very cold here at the moment! According to the news it's -5 outside (I have ventured outside today so I'm not sure) It's been snowing pretty heavily fot the past week, I live about 20 mins outside the city centre and it's still very snowy and icy! However I was shopping in town yesterday and there's no snow at all so you should be fine! Just make sure you bring lots of coats/gloves etc to keep warm!
I've heard that we should be expecting more snow in the next few days.

I'm not an expert on small boutiques in the city at all but like Legyviel said above Merchant City is a good place to look. There are also some independent shops in the West End/Byres Road area of the city. Princes Square (the centre with the Vivienne Westwood shop) also has some nice shops.

Let me know if there's anything else I could help with and enjoy your time in Glasgow :smile:

Thanks!

I'm planning on bringing my parka and a wool coat-will the wool be warm enough for most days? If it's a really miserable day I know I'd probably need the parka (Vancouver usually never goes below 0 :P)

Thanks for the tip on Merchant City-that's just what I was looking for.

All the sales are on now right? Will there be anything left (sale or new stock) by the time I get there? Or are the stores pretty picked over right now?

Yeah all the sales started on the 26th December or before, but it has been complete madness since. To be honest it'll be much better at the time you're going just because it'll be quieter and much easier to shop! I went into some stores on the 26th and just had to leave because it was so busy! Some stores will be picked over but there's lots of non-sale stock out and I'm sure you'll still be able to get some bargains!

I think a wool coat will be warm enough, especially if you are wandering in and out of shops so don't worry about it too much!!

Although if you're having weather like we are at the moment,snow is on the way :ninja:

I lived in Glasgow for 6 months last year and love it! Although I think I managed to miss the crazy cold weather!

I found some great little shops along Great Western Rd. and Byres Rd. near Kelvinbridge station which is in the West End. There are lots of vintage stores/boutiques in that area, and lots of cafes/restaurants if it gets too cold. Down Byres Rd. is a little laneway about halfway down (opposite a subway station) called Ruthven Lane. There are some amazing vintage stores down there, a must see! This lane also had the Comme des Garcons Guerilla store which has sadly closed now but it gives you an idea of how great this lane is!
Have fun!!

Glasgow has great shopping. I always enjoy shopping there since you get all of the high street brands (topshop, zara, river island, warehouse, etc) as well as Frazers with the designer brands and its never extremely busy and annoying as you get with places like London. The town center is the best place to go as pedestrians are generally away from traffic so you don't have to worry about packed pavements or crossing roads so much. Start with Buchanan St and have a wander down to Sauchiehall St! Enjoy :smile:
I'm going there tomorrow!

I'm from Glasgow! If anyone needs any suggestions for shopping just ask! Or any directions etc. I can help out :smile:

Just off the top of my head I would say my favourite place to shop is Buchanan Street/Argyle Street. The Topshop on Argyle Street is great, probably big enough to rival Topshop on Oxford Street in London!

The west end is great for little boutiques and unique shops and also vintage shopping!

I would also suggest to people to check out the out-of-town shopping centres such as Silverburn, Braehead, East Kilbride and Glasgow Fort. Perhaps not if your are just visiting Glasgow for a holiday but if you are there for longer then these centres are alot of fun for shopaholics (like me!)!

voguettecgm - How is Glasgow treating you? Are you studying there?
If you need any help/suggestions just ask me! Eres de España? Estoy estudiando en Granada en este momento :smile:

I'm from Glasgow! I'm quite a fan of American Apparel near West Nile St., but the best places to shop in Glasgow are probably the boutiques around the Byres Rd. area. Every few months, a new crop of vintage and independent boutiques pop up. Sadly, many don't last for long, but they're excellent while they last.

Glasgow also has - if you don't mind - excellent charity/thrift shops. Again, the Byres Rd. area is probably the best for this. I have mint-condition Dior blouses and a scarf taken from British Heart Foundation and CHAS in the West End. ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

Braehead and Silverburn, especially Braehead. They're worth the long bus ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->