Hardy Amies hated short sleeve shirts??

Delvon

Reaction score
Out of enormous respect for this timeless British designer I was shocked when I read this from his ABC's on Mens Fashion:

"Avoid sandals and shorts: "Always wear a collar and tie in a town, even if it's by the sea, after six o'clock. Never wear shorts except actually on the beach or on a walking tour. All short sleeve shirts look ghastly. Sandals are hell, except on the beach where you want to take them off: or on a boat. And, worn with socks are super hell.""

I emphasize on this part "All short sleeve shirts look ghastly."

Surely he did not believe a Polo or even a Henley did not have elegance to them as casual wear? I own several of both from Sunspel and they pair so well. Anyone else speculate on why he thought this?

Probably depends on the look one is after. Some people are fine being less dressed up, others are not (and I greatly admire everyone who wears a long sleeve button up shirt when it's 40° C). Of course more dressed up looks nicer, but most people wear casual wear and don't care about "fashion rules" that do sound a little arbitrary and conservative.
That said, I tend to agree on the shorts and sandals in city. Risking to sound snobbish, but that's for tourists and it not a flattering look. :lol:

No offense but is this worthy bringing up ? The guy was just being alittle extreme. Its not like Lagerfeld got boucle-tweed-phobia or Valentino cringed in dismay because of ruffle :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anomimo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->